mpgscott

Trickle charging our batteries during Covid

Hi All,

So with this continued nightmare of Covid restrictions it means a lot of our vehicles are not being used in the same way as normal, mine is sitting around for weeks and i want to make sure i maintain the battery as best as possible.  With this is it simply a case of putting the trickle charger under the bonnet and giving it a top up every couple of weeks?  Will connecting to the car under the bonnet not do the car any harm?  I read all the issues surrounding the IBS so just want to make sure this is ok to do prior to doing it.

Many thanks

Mark

Edited by mpgscott

31 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

Hi All,

So with this continued nightmare of Covid restrictions it means a lot of our vehicles are not being used in the same way as normal, mine is sitting around for weeks and i want to make sure i maintain the battery as best as possible.  With this is it simply a case of putting the trickle charger under the bonnet and giving it a top up every couple of weeks?  Will connecting to the car under the bonnet not do the car any harm?  I read all the issues surrounding the IBS so just want to make sure this is ok to do prior to doing it.

Many thanks

Mark

Just connect it directly to the battery

If you have them, use the eyelet connections, so they're fixed to the battery and then just plug the trickle charger into that lead etc; nice and simple then and no faffing...

Just remember to unplug it all before you drive off anywhere ;):lol: 

Trickle charging can be and is recommended by bmw to be done from the contacts under the hood. I have a Ctek 5.0 msx or something like that, it has a battery reconditioning feature. I removed the battery only to do that. all good now, the screen doesn't go black when starting the car.  Also, don't leave it parked in one place for a longer time as the vheels will develop a wobble when driving, Drive until the engine has heated up and blowing hot, moisture in the air could make mould appear on the seats and so on....

Lots of people comment on the IBS but I had a Ctek adapter connected directly to the battery in my last 525d for 10 years and used it quite a bit. Never had any problems, but the battery was usually in good condition when connecting, so maybe if its low it can be an issue?

Currently have my latest 525d hooked up in the same way and has been since before Xmas, almost constantly - again with no issues.

Cteks are brilliant things, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Prior to reading anything on the whole intricacies of how BMW monitor and control the charging on these cars which still amazes me the technology levels they introduced so far back.  I was working on my tailgate wiring and I had a trickle charger directly on the battery.  I didn’t have any issues but this was before knowing about the IBS system.  So just wanted to find out everyone’s thoughts on it so great to get this.

Unless you've done away with your IBS, use the jump contacts in the engine bay.

Quote from newTIS:

Notice! Charging and trickle charging of the battery

The battery may only be recharged with a battery charger that has been approved by BMW and that has a constant charging voltage of 14.8V.

If possible, the battery temperature should be between 15 °C and 25 °C during charging. Under these preconditions, the battery is adequately charged when the charge current drops below 2.5 amps.

If the battery is recharged at low temperatures, the charging procedure should not be ended until the charge current drops below 1.5 A.

On vehicles with IBS, recharging the battery directly at the battery terminals could lead to a misinterpretation of the battery condition and even unwanted Check Control messages or fault entries.

If the battery is recharged while it is installed, it must be recharged using the jump start terminal points, whenever jump start terminal points are provided in the engine compartment. Only then can you be sure that charging is correctly recognised by the vehicle electronics on vehicles with an intelligent battery sensor (IBS).

Keliuss

Yes as above, you are not supposed to charge directly on the battery, you must be 'downstream' from the IBS, so attach the negative terminal anywhere beyond the IBS (eg any earth point on the car.) I always use the under bonnet charge points.

I had a CTEK MXS 5 for mine, and followed the BMW guidance and charged it through the bonnet posts. Really easy that way as well. I would put it on once a week to top up the battery.

I try to go shopping for essential items at least once a week, seems to be working so far. ;)

1 hour ago, Keith_H said:

I try to go shopping for essential items at least once a week, seems to be working so far. ;)

Indeed, me also but just trying to be ready for when it isnt enough :-)

I've got two aging optimate trickle chargers/battery conditioners if not in use for a week

or more I just leave it hooked up to the point's under the bonnet & all's good. 

The cable is small enough to slip down the side of the headlight & grill,

so I can shut the bonnet & lock the car.

I also have a C-tek but prefer the optimate. 

1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

I've got two aging optimate trickle chargers/battery conditioners if not in use for a week

or more I just leave it hooked up to the point's under the bonnet & all's good. 

The cable is small enough to slip down the side of the headlight & grill,

so I can shut the bonnet & lock the car.

I also have a C-tek but prefer the optimate. 

Just the same optimate as use on the bikes?

Edited by mpgscott