832ark

Double DIN facia attachment

I’ve just been fitting a new double DIN headunit to a car with a business radio/cassette. Original radio and cage removed and I was expecting the new facia to clip in but it doesn’t. It fits reasonably snugly into the hole but is easily pulled out again. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

C2871433-90C4-48BD-9E53-22836A9F0228.jpeg

8D5F9727-FB90-4F6D-B1E6-392AB06D0207.jpeg

70AC8AAA-0D48-4E52-B50B-9169DFBA912D.jpeg

Hi,

All the existing E39 'budget' fitting kits are missing the 'frame' piece to clip onto. Way back in 2010/11 there was an excellent quality full kit from Connects2 which crucially came with that frame piece so the fascia could securely attach to it. Unfortunately, it was discontinued back then too and ever since, all the ones you see on ebay/amazon don't have it. 

You'll need to now fabricate something to fit into the dash area that then allows this fascia to securely clip onto. The 'OEM' frame piece won't be suitable as it's specifically shaped/thickness so the clips on this fascia won't/don't fit or clip to it. 

The Alpine iLX-700 is a fantastic quality unit and capable of some excellent sound quality and performance! here's what it looks like in the NXG-39 fascia/fitting kit I provide:

DSC01711_zpstatr9lyt.jpg

With this solution, the fitting kit is incorporated, so there'd be no need for you waste time/effort/money fabricating something and you'll not have to contribute to your household's swear jar either :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks Dennis, I’ve read quite a few of your posts about the Connects 2 facia and it’s a shame it’s no longer available. I’ve seen your facia as well which looks stunning but a bit out of budget! Looks like I’ll have to get creative!

Hi,

The were a couple of fascia/fitting kits back from that kind of time, I'd sell them here on the forum too! those got discontinued and it's the ones you purchased that are around but miss out this piece to make the install work well ! Every now and again, on ebay, some old new stock comes up and seem to be priced around £100. 

I designed the NXG-39 to make fitting easy as well as looking close to OEM as well as there's a good number of E39 owners who wouldn't know how to DIY and would have to pay a car audio installer to fabricate something which would be perhaps 2+ hours of charges? then another hour's worth to fit and connect up the head unit etc. Add those typical costs up and it quickly ramps up!

Sounds like you can DIY ! so you'll be ok soon !

Cheers, Dennis!

The frame from the connects2 wood affect kit fits, you can also modify the BMW sat nav bracket, I'm guessing you've got it sorted but if not I've got some bits and pieces lying around 

2 hours ago, Houds said:

The frame from the connects2 wood affect kit fits, you can also modify the BMW sat nav bracket, I'm guessing you've got it sorted but if not I've got some bits and pieces lying around 

I haven’t yet, was planning to use foam tape to secure it but I’d be interested I what you have lying around! Any assistance always appreciated!

I've got a fascia that is nearly ready for paint and a bracket. I've included a pic of how mine ended up

IMG_9854 2.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_1475-2.jpg