oldjohnny

Cleaning Air Flow Meter.

Just changed my mass air flow meter. Spannerman says the removed unit is just oiled up slightly.  I have Archoil AR6400-D Max cleaner on the magic shelf.  Is this suitable for cleaning the air flow unit and is there a procedure for doing this please?

I bought a new one too. Then cleaned the old one by just liberally spraying it with contact cleaner and letting it run off then dry.

You just need to spray the sensor element.

After this treatment, using diagnostics I found the MAF was perfect again, so I have a spare new MAF on the shelf....

1 hour ago, oldjohnny said:

Just changed my mass air flow meter. Spannerman says the removed unit is just oiled up slightly.  I have Archoil AR6400-D Max cleaner on the magic shelf.  Is this suitable for cleaning the air flow unit and is there a procedure for doing this please?

That's for Turbos, DPFs and CATs. If it was residue free and worked on MAFs I'm pretty sure they would say that too, but don't. Get a MAF specific cleaner. AFAIK a general contact cleaner should work too.

Keliuss

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

I bought a new one too. Then cleaned the old one by just liberally spraying it with contact cleaner and letting it run off then dry.

You just need to spray the sensor element.

After this treatment, using diagnostics I found the MAF was perfect again, so I have a spare new MAF on the shelf....

Contact cleaner :blink:

How to kill a good maf m8, hit it with brake cleaner.

Mine  is a Bosch so the metering unit does not come out seperately. Do I simply spray into the whole unit and let it dry for future use?

I've always used Isopropyl aerosol spray to blast the element clean.

But mafs do go out of spec as they wear out.

Just be careful as you can damage it by cleaning badly / incorrectly.