edd_jedi

Power Management Board Network Fault Code

Yes, you're probably right, and I've definitely been charging it correctly, it's not an AGM battery so I have not been using that setting. The first time it was flat the car just failed to turn over, but the second time during lockdown it was so flat I couldn't even unlock the car. I took the battery out and did manage to 'resurrect' it with the CTEK, but that took two attempts, it failed on the first. So I do concede the battery is probably shot. It's interesting that the CTEK thinks it's fully charged, yet the IBS somehow seems to know it's only 40% charged!

What do you guys think about replacing the battery, do it now or wait until I fix the drain issue, which could be some months as I'm not doing the tailgate wires in zero degrees!

Edited by edd_jedi

The Ctek thinks it's fully charged because that's all it can get out of what you've connected to it.

The car on the other hand has been told it's a 110Ah and is using/replenishing it as such.

The drain you speak of - could that in fact be when you left the lights on? There might not actually be anything wrong at all and it's just that the battery can't hold full capacity.

Personally speaking if it was starting the car fine and being used daily I think I'd order a battery and see how it goes for another week. That would give you some more information on whether you do indeed have a drain or if it's just battery related. If you have a problem you've then got a battery waiting to be fitted.

I also need to do tailgate wiring on mine but sod that in this weather!

16 minutes ago, roi354 said:

The drain you speak of - could that in fact be when you left the lights on? There might not actually be anything wrong at all and it's just that the battery can't hold full capacity.

Possibly because the data in the above standby current screenshot is since I registered the battery. However I have been getting the discharge message in iDrive intermittently for the last six months, and I have also cleared the fault codes recently but the power management one keeps returning. It will be interesting to see if the <200ma draw occurs over the next week now that I have reset the stats.

Well this is positive, it's only been four days of course so can't get too excited, but the standby current has been below 80ma since Sunday having used the car a few times in between, no higher ratings have been recorded. So it's possible the drain data is historic, but in that case why have I still been getting the high drain iDrive message? Could a weak battery cause that? It looks like since I fully charged it the battery did manage to get up to 58%, but still think I need to replace it.

IMG_1335.thumb.jpeg.2a56511f5e95f5353294432597d49bc3.jpeg

IMG_1336.thumb.jpeg.a7f123a2dfdefd4820968a51c63c3b5a.jpeg

You can keep going around in circles here but at the end of the day your battery is shagged and needs replacing ;)

2 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

You can keep going around in circles here but at the end of the day your battery is shagged and needs replacing ;)

Yes, will be doing so in the next few days! I just wanted to check the standby stats first as I don't want to ruin another battery. Will be interesting to see if that's the cause of the iDrive drain message. I know iDrive displays a low battery charge warning, which would make sense in this case, but it's the drain I'm confused about. I guess I'll have to fit a new battery, reset everything and then keep an eye on it.

Edited by edd_jedi

New battery fitted and registered this afternoon, I went for a Yuasa HSB020 as Halfords are currently doing them for £125 with a five year guarantee and I wanted to go and buy one from a shop rather than have one delivered so I could check the date, in case it had been sitting for years! So it was a few quid cheaper, and slightly better spec too. Before fitting I fully charged it with my CTEK, so will check the ISTA battery stats in a few weeks to see if the drain returns, and check this battery is fully charging. Thanks for your help.

Nice one, the place I use shifts a lot of stock, mine was filled 2 weeks before I got it. At least Halfords will swap it out if it fails :)

After trying to clear the fault codes I now can't get ISTA to connect! Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by edd_jedi

I finally got ISTA working again, so I wanted to check how the new battery is getting on. The 'power management' fault code hasn't returned which is good news, so perhaps that was being triggered by the knackered battery and low charge state.

After approx 2 weeks the drain has only been over 80ma for 6 minutes, any ideas what could cause a drain for such a short period of time, or how I investigate what is causing it?

And also as you can see in the first screenshot below my new battery has been charged between 70-81% over the last week, does that seem reasonable for a brand new battery? Is it unrealistic expecting it to be nearer 100% while not doing any long journeys due to lockdown, mostly a few miles or around 15 minutes?

IMG_1404.jpg.e0b7f0b29bb13129db635e1835f60ae8.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg.dd11648ee4535c7f575f650ed6f636d6.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg.6dccb1990a1d5345f6339d5f32aa451f.jpg

In the same section you should have waking up the vehicle and wake up analysis in the subsection, if memory serves that will tell you what units were the cause of the wakeup.

Edited by GoNz0

Thanks, but I can't find anything mentioning waking. Have looked through all the sections under service functions. Any idea where else it could be?

voltage.thumb.PNG.36eda3eb9eb47f612db5b100b6842888.PNG