davidrichards27

Bluetooth Connectivity Issue

Hi Guys
This is my first post!
I have a 2010 520D F10 and until last week I had my wife's Samsung S9+ running Android 10 successfully paired to the car for phone calls etc.
Yesterday, after she purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, we spent hours trying to get the phone paired to the car, but with no luck at all.
The new phone is running Android 11.

On the phone we have cleared the Bluetooth cache, 'forgot' the previous connection carried over from her 'smart switch' transfer between phones.
With the car, I deleted all known Bluetooth connections in the phone unit.

So we have just about tried everything, but to no avail.
Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts?
Has ANYONE managed to pair this same phone to an older BMW?

Please let me know if you offer any ideas or guidance.

Many thanks
David

Hi,

You'll most likely find that the latest mobile phones will have 'less' full compatibility with older Bluetooth electronics and in this case, something designed/made  10/11+ years ago. Although BT does have backward support, in practice it can present issues like this. That's not to say it's always the case though! 

Take a look at the Note Ultra and see if there's any options within the BT settings/configuration, I'm not speaking from experience here, just that the latest phones have newer BT functionality like 'LE' and also being Version 5 of Bluetooth, there 'might' be compatibility issues with older version of BT etc. 

If that all fails all I can think of is to perhaps look to an aftermarket integration type unit that will 'connect' to the OEM audio and that will support & connect to the new Note 20. 

Edit - added that to ask BMW if there's a software update for the car's audio as well? maybe that could be something which could resolve?

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

Thanks a lot. I actually now think it might be my BT in the car failing. On Friday it took me over 45 mins to connect my much older Note 4. I could 'see' the car on my phone but then got the message error connecting to the car, then for ages I couldn't even see the car!

Finally, after 45 mins got this one connected so I am wondering if it is my BT failing which will mean buying something to connect the phones to the audio.

Thanks for your reply 

Hi, 

That may well be a contributory factor ! 

Perhaps look in the E60 section to see if the BT module can be purchased separately and swapped over? I'm not too knowledgeble on the E60/2004 and later stuff

Cheers, Dennis!