Sign in to follow this  
Vandallist

Suspension question

Hey boys, i have a e60 that is very low, has some sport suspensions or whatver. I am wondering since i live in a rocky place and i am scratching my floor from time to time - can i change only springs or do i have to change shock absorbers as well ? Cause its very expensive if i need to change both so wondering if i can only change springs.

Hi Vandallist,

It really depends on what shocks you have, if they're OEM shocks (you should be able to tell as they'll have a dull colour with a relatively rough finish) then putting the stock springs back on will be fine obviously. If they are aftermarket (often a bright colour or polished, could be very rusty if a cheaper brand) then you might struggle. Shocks have an optimum operating window within their travel and often the maximum height is restricted on aftermarket so you might find you change the springs but you are now at the maximum height for the shocks when you put the car down which is really not good (very unlikely and I've never seen it but theoretically possible), best case scenario it works buy the life span of the units will be reduced. 

Basically, fingers crossed for OEM shocks :) can you upload a picture of the car as it sits now and the shocks? We might be able to help more then, but please don't be put off by the above, that is worse case.

Anthony

3 hours ago, Anthonyc said:

Hi Vandallist,

It really depends on what shocks you have, if they're OEM shocks (you should be able to tell as they'll have a dull colour with a relatively rough finish) then putting the stock springs back on will be fine obviously. If they are aftermarket (often a bright colour or polished, could be very rusty if a cheaper brand) then you might struggle. Shocks have an optimum operating window within their travel and often the maximum height is restricted on aftermarket so you might find you change the springs but you are now at the maximum height for the shocks when you put the car down which is really not good (very unlikely and I've never seen it but theoretically possible), best case scenario it works buy the life span of the units will be reduced. 

Basically, fingers crossed for OEM shocks :) can you upload a picture of the car as it sits now and the shocks? We might be able to help more then, but please don't be put off by the above, that is worse case.

Anthony

hey buddy thanks for response, here are images.. i am not sure if i have mtech suspension but i think these are some aftermarket added, i bought car like this so not sure.

Thanks!

20210114_124521.jpg

20210114_124536.jpg

Well those look like standard m sport shocks to me, the springs do as well TBH but hard to tell, they seem to have the coloured spots the OEM ones do. It also looks like those might be oversized tryes is that right? it's hard to tell if that's much lower than a normal M Sport (if it is at all) but I think you should be able to fit standard SE springs to those (not tried though).