DepthHoar

E39 M5: 'The Next Big Thing' on YouTube

Can't actually remember the last time I saw one on the road in the UK - 10 years ago I'd see at least 1 or 2 a month...

Getting scarce I would guess in the UK these days... bearing in mind there was only around 2,500 RHD built...

Same in France. They've always been rare but I haven't seen one of them in years.

5 to 10 years ago, when I came across an E39 M5, I was sure it was the first and the last time I would see it. At that time, a lot of them (probably already ruined) were bought by "class 2" drug dealers or other crooks that weren't fortunate enough to sustain their use. We could see them showing off along the cities boulevards once or twice before definitely vanishing.

I think that the next 5 years will see the number of cars left tumble.  They're still (relatively) cheap to buy but are not cheap to maintain, and for every good one that you see there's at least one that's tired.  I've always kept an eye on Autotrader and other sales sites to keep an eye on the market generally and even those advertised at the higher end of the market often show visible signs of rust in the usual places on the photographs... those currently on Autotrader are no exception.  Anyone frequenting this forum and M5board will also have seen reports of people who've gone to view a car and walked.  Plenty of these will become parts cars.

Just my view: other views are available.

They were/are a tremendous thing. I keep henpecking my mate - a collector of serious BMW's - to buy a nice one for 20 grand because they will be 30 or 40 before many years have passed. The E60 was also tremendous in its own way but by Christ, they cost so much more to maintain and fix. The F10 etc stuff was fast etc etc but I don't even give them a second glance. They just seem to be a big flash thing with a turbo and loaded with gadgets that you buy on PCP. 

^^^^ Nuff said, Andrew. 

Never mind your mate get one for yourself, if you don't already have one. The E39 M5 goes like the wind, and feels so damn planted even at high cruising speeds, if I needed to get to the south of France by road in a hurry, then I would choose one of these cars, if there is a finer compliment for a 20 year old performance car, I don't know what it is. My only caveat is get one, and use it, drive it, they were made to be driven, it is their raison de être.

Edited by Steve van hool

2 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

if I needed to get to the south of France by road in a hurry, then I would choose one of these cars, if there is a finer compliment for a 20 year old performance car, I don't know what it is.

Doesn't need to be an M5, my 530d has been to the cote d'azure 3 times now and i hope will again. For silly reasons last time was through the night in one hit. 750miles in one sitting and being a d one fuel stop....

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Doesn't need to be an M5, my 530d has been to the cote d'azure 3 times now and i hope will again. For silly reasons last time was through the night in one hit. 750miles in one sitting and being a d one fuel stop....

I miss those road trips!

Last year I took the 520d F11 workhorse to Hungary and back, what a cruising machine it is. On the autobahn through Germany it was holding 120-130mph same as it does 70-80mph. It doesn't have the oomph that I remember my E61 530d having but still plenty of grunt.

11 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

No, it doesn't have to be an M5, doing Calais to the Riviera in one hit is going some though, whereabouts, Nice?

I wouldn't choose to do the journey in one hop though, given there are plenty of beautiful Cities, towns, and even villages, in France that you can visit on the way!

On a separate note I'm reminded of an Austrian Hotelier in Neiderau who drove her two guest's back to Calais non stop following news of a bereavement. On dropping them off at the docks they threw up, Dianne turned around and drove back to cook the hotel dinner. She had a 735i, and maxed it out on the autobahn.

Edited by Steve van hool

Frejus, normally we get an early ferry take 2 days, overnight in lyon getting to the south early afternoon for a swim.

Last time i double booked myself - had a day at edgebaston the day before we would normally leave and figured an early start the morning after was not a good idea so booked a tea time ferry so we could eat then set through france in the night. Aim was not to miss a day of the holiday.

As i say a silly reason...

Yes beautiful country, we tend to head to the south as fast as we can hence overnight in Lyon but chose somewhere new to visit on the return leg so Dijon, Reims, Troyes etc

The race track is worth a stop

In the e36 M3 we did a tour Calais>Paris>Lyon>Frejus via route Napoleon (stayed a week and traveled about to Cannes and antibes, St Tropez) then home via Bordeaux, Nantes, Chartre and Paris again.

Was a good trip.

Anyway total thread drift... :oops: