mpgscott

E61 535d water pump and thermostat

When the weather improves then i plan to change out the main thermostat and the water pump.

Looking at options for water pump are these: water pump part# 11517805810  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATER-PUMP-BMW-MEYLE-OEM-11517805810-3132200006-GENUINE-HEAVY-DUTY-/352971802933

Meyle units any good?

As for main thermostat then its main dealer for them is the advice? Part# 11517805811  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Touring-E61-New-Genuine-Thermostat-w-Adapter-2-5-Diesel-130kw-7805811/383310983932?hash=item593f1d72fc:g:ei4AAOSwJZ5f6uCG

Anything else advised to get when in there changing over?

Edited by mpgscott

Due to the lifespan and you probably never changing it again in your ownership, budget allowing I use BMW pumps with the composite impeller, the reason is when the bearing fails the impeller rubs on the block, the heavy duty ones are not a sacrificial part so they rub into the block and wear it away. I'd rather have to flush it out the coolant than grind the block away.

Watched the lad on road and race YouTube change out his main stat and water pump, one question I had was if the water pump gasket is part of the main gasket then take it it’s metal.  How do you go about cutting the old gasket without damaging any sealing faces?

Or do most simply reuse the existing gasket?

Thanks as normal..

ps if your looking at these alternative water pumps and stats then give cotswoldbmw a shout via the forum, they are very reasonably priced and well worth a couple of quid extra to get genuine parts.  

Grab the gasket and yank it out, if you have any leftover bits on the 2 locating bits bolted to the case just bend them over out the way as the new gasket doesn't have them. Or punch a chisel into them to get them off like I do as again the new gaskets rounded off to miss that part.

You must never reuse the metal gasket.

Edited by GoNz0

15 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Grab the gasket and yank it out, if you have any leftover bits on the 2 locating bits bolted to the case just bend them over out the way as the new gasket doesn't have them. Or punch a chisel into them to get them off like I do as again the new gaskets rounded off to miss that part.

You must never reuse the metal gasket.

Yeah that. I would usually just introduce a bit of metal fatigue...i.e. moving it back and forth until it gives up :)

21 minutes ago, Ollie Campbell said:

Yeah that. I would usually just introduce a bit of metal fatigue...i.e. moving it back and forth until it gives up :)

Would it be the case that the water pump is not a tight fit in its location so you can get away with a bit of the old gasket being present?

6 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

Would it be the case that the water pump is not a tight fit in its location so you can get away with a bit of the old gasket being present?

I can't quite remember I'm afraid, but never had a problem with the wiggling method and sealing afterwards. You should be able to tell when you offer up the new gasket...if it doesn't lie flat then you might have to remove some of the left overs of the old gasket.

PS haven't forgotten about the fog light. Just been mad busy recently!

Edited by Ollie Campbell

42 minutes ago, Ollie Campbell said:

I did but as it still had bits sticking out the block I decided to knock them off with my chisel, after that I realised I could just bend up any leftover bits with the gaskets you buy having the sections missing that are bolted in during engine assembly