Jump to content
Pissant

E61. . . . Loves and hates

Recommended Posts

Good afternoon,

 Ive had my 530d E61 for a few months now, and its a bloody good car, I have serviced the Engine, gearbox to do next then change the rear airbags for coils. Its smooth, plenty of go, looks nice and feels right when i'm driving it.

 BUT, a few things irritate me, MPG is not brillkiant, but im looking into the t/stat thing. I cant seem to get the temp up on the hidden menu. I have read a bit about a Renault 5 turbo stat being used but im a bit dubious. The ignition key looks like my old E30, as do the door mirrors, it hasn't got sat nav or any means of connecting my phone to the single CD audio system. The steering wheel is a bit large for my liking ( but thats not the end of the world !). And I also hate the stupid load space cover thing, it jumps up when you open the tailgate, and i always forget to replace it in the slots and it sticks up in the rear view mirror.

Can I retro fit a larger screen I drive thingy, or is it a pain in the arse, and how would i go about the sat nav situation, is it just simpler to fit a stand alone/ or use my phone ?

Any advise would be mostly appreciated. . . 

Dave

 

Edited by Pissant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im looking at fitting the Andream system https://www.android-car-dvd.de/collections/carplay-head-unit/products/8-8-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-head-unit-multimedia-for-bmw-series3-5-e60-e61-e63-e64-m5-e90-e91-e92-e93-m3  which you can get for £220 the now, good write ups on this.

 

As for the temps to get to the hidden menu you need to add up all the last set of five digits to get a total, for mine its B900470 so for me its the number 11, once you have this value you should simply follow these instructions

 

The R5 has plenty of haters, im running it on mine only done around 200 miles since fitting it and car is runnig at correct temps.  Got to be better than running cold but i will get the main swapped out when weather improves, for now its got me out of jail but i do keep the temp up all the time so i can keep an eye on it.  With mine being the older car i also have the white dial to go by off the rev counter.

 

Agree lovely cars when working correctly..

 

Lots of help and great advice from our fellow members on here also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave, welcome to E61 life!

 

Have a look at my Coilover thread from a while back as that gives an idea of what involved to change to coils....its not straight forward by any means and you will have to compromise but I'm very glad I did it. As for the MPG the thermostats are a good place to start but I've heard that the earlier autos are generally a bit thirsty. I have a manual which seems much better as I seem to get much better MPG than most on here. how much are you getting currently, and it that actual or via the OBC?

The rear flap I just leave coiled to be honest, I have tinted windows so no one can see in there anyway.

Loads of info on here for retrofitting nav (I may have a CCC looking for a home soon) and its relatively straight forward to fit and some basic coding needed. Phone I think is slightly more complicated AFAIK; I had it already so not looked into it personally. Might be worth looking into an Android unit to kill 2 birds?

 

Anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You beat me to it Scott :) that's the same manufacturer I'm looking at but getting the full Android variant.

 

Talking of thermostats, I actually removed the EGR altogether and blanked off the water pipes to it so I don't need anything other than the main unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Anthonyc said:

You beat me to it Scott :) that's the same manufacturer I'm looking at but getting the full Android variant.

 

Talking of thermostats, I actually removed the EGR altogether and blanked off the water pipes to it so I don't need anything other than the main unit.

Ha ha, yeh i have my EGR blanked off also so just the main thermostat to fit.  I just cant bear the cold getting under the car but will do as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Im looking at fitting the Andream system https://www.android-car-dvd.de/collections/carplay-head-unit/products/8-8-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-head-unit-multimedia-for-bmw-series3-5-e60-e61-e63-e64-m5-e90-e91-e92-e93-m3  which you can get for £220 the now, good write ups on this.

 

As for the temps to get to the hidden menu you need to add up all the last set of five digits to get a total, for mine its B900470 so for me its the number 11, once you have this value you should simply follow these instructions

 

The R5 has plenty of haters, im running it on mine only done around 200 miles since fitting it and car is runnig at correct temps.  Got to be better than running cold but i will get the main swapped out when weather improves, for now its got me out of jail but i do keep the temp up all the time so i can keep an eye on it.  With mine being the older car i also have the white dial to go by off the rev counter.

 

Agree lovely cars when working correctly..

 

Lots of help and great advice from our fellow members on here also.

I have tried this several times, just cant seem to get it to work !. Perhaps me, Ill keep trying. . . Is the white dial by the rev counter a temp gauge, i keep reading about different colour rings and mystical stuff i just haven't got. My car is was registered 12/2004. 

 

18 hours ago, Anthonyc said:

Hi Dave, welcome to E61 life!

 

Have a look at my Coilover thread from a while back as that gives an idea of what involved to change to coils....its not straight forward by any means and you will have to compromise but I'm very glad I did it. As for the MPG the thermostats are a good place to start but I've heard that the earlier autos are generally a bit thirsty. I have a manual which seems much better as I seem to get much better MPG than most on here. how much are you getting currently, and it that actual or via the OBC?

The rear flap I just leave coiled to be honest, I have tinted windows so no one can see in there anyway.

Loads of info on here for retrofitting nav (I may have a CCC looking for a home soon) and its relatively straight forward to fit and some basic coding needed. Phone I think is slightly more complicated AFAIK; I had it already so not looked into it personally. Might be worth looking into an Android unit to kill 2 birds?

 

Anthony

 Hi Anthony,

 My  air suspension keeps bringing up a fault on the dash, but I have had no issues as yet, other than after driving home from work and locking the car, the compressor kicks in for about 30 seconds. I spoke to the garage I bought the car from, and we agreed if he paid for the springs to replace the airbags, I would fit them. 

As for MPG, according to the obc, Im getting 28-30, I did get 35 when i first got it, but i was driving like Miss Daisey if im honest, I do about 3 miles b road, then 22 m/way to work and back weekdays. 

18 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Ha ha, yeh i have my EGR blanked off also so just the main thermostat to fit.  I just cant bear the cold getting under the car but will do as soon as possible.

Hi, I intend to remove the egr altogether, the swirl flaps and dpf have been done already. It just sticks a bit paying a small fortune for a BMW stat, when there is a chance it could fail in a matter of months. We shall see. . . . 

And forgive my ignorance, what is a CCC. . . . .?

 

Thanks for all the reply gents, really helpful.

 Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pissant said:

I spoke to the garage I bought the car from, and we agreed if he paid for the springs to replace the airbags, I would fit them

 

AFAIK, there are only 2 manufacturers that have rear springs for our cars, one is ISC (that's what I have) and the other I cant recall the name of helpfully but both are full coilover systems costing upwards of £700. It's not like the X5s where BMW had 2 options and you can just get the springs and swap them over unfortunately.

 

The CCC is the older of the sat nav systems (up to 2008 if not later). You will likely have he MASK which is the non Nav and the latest E60/61s could have a CIC which is a big improvement over the previous iterations and used the later idrive controller as well.

 

Anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh nice, wasn't aware they existed, be great to hear how you get on with them! The required coding to get rid of the error is in my thread and you need to unplug the white control unit from the spare wheel well as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the dial temp indicator, i think this was only on the 2004-2006 models due to costs BMW binned it.  Not sure why they like keeping the engine temp a secret :-)  Would of far rathered a temp gauge over the stupid MPG gauge that they love fitting.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never noticed it being there, but could be wrong.......and you are spot on with the stupid MPG swinging needle thing, does my ducking head in !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I have the temp indicator on the Rev counter.....

This is as far as it got after a 24 mile drive home tnite, mostly motorway at 80 mph.

IMG_20210114_230014183.jpg

Edited by Pissant
Fat fingers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure mine once upto temp only shows three or four white indicators, will take a pic next time I’m out and upto speed.  I think one of your thermostats is down but try and either get a code reader or into the hidden menu to confirm.  My guess on that is that the cars running around 60deg so likely your main and gearbox thermostats are not working.  
 

http://e60tricks.blogspot.com/2016/07/bmw-e60-e61-hidden-secret-menu.html

Edited by mpgscott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've read BMW removed this feature at some stage of production, I don't think my late 2007 has this. Also I'm not sure this is a temperature gauge so to speak; It's meant to be a recommended rev limit that increases as the engine warms up and that "Should" be based on oil temp, not water temp so will go up regardless of if you have a thermostat issue or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I looked into it, everything I found or was told, was that the white bars def related to coolant temp, not oil! 

Changing the stat & coolant temp sensors definitely sorted my temp issue (albeit on a 545).

 

I also hate the audio/sound system in this car - mines an '04, has a cd slot with nav, but no aux in. 

Prob the most annoying thing about the car, I really need to get round to looking at this, so I'll have a look at that Andream stuff later! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's based on oil temp & it's a moving rev limit based on oil temp,

But must vary on different models & engine spec's. 

Mine's a 2006 pre lci 530d auto & I use fully synthetic 5w40 Fuchs &

it's never gone higher than Pissant's even in the heat of 28° + with a full boot on our jolly's 

@ 90+ mph for 300+ miles on the return journey from Cornwall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

It's based on oil temp & it's a moving rev limit based on oil temp,

But must vary on different models & engine spec's. 

Mine's a 2006 pre lci 530d auto & I use fully synthetic 5w40 Fuchs &

it's never gone higher than Pissant's even in the heat of 28° + with a full boot on our jolly's 

@ 90+ mph for 300+ miles on the return journey from Cornwall. 

Hi Dirty,

 

I’m not for one second doubting what you say and I’m not sure on the ins and outs of it but i know that before i got my thermostats changed out and the car was only getting upto 60deg my dial showed the same as Pissant and was always showing 7 or 8 white indicators.  Now that the car is getting upto temp so normally showing between 84-90deg in secret menu 7 it always shows 4 sometime 3 if your right foot is a bit heavy.

 

Are both you guys secret menu 7 coolant temps showing similar?

 

Honestly these BMW thermostats are shit, mine was perfect one night steady 90deg then the next day less than 10hrs of testing it wouldnt get above 60 so i am now for ever checking it.  Did 300miles and was the same the entire time.  Changed in August and car was sat for months due to me working away maybe a couple of runs in between.  The fail rate is mental on them, my last main thermostat lasted less than 1000miles.  

 

Cheers

Mark

 

Edited by mpgscott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for info, so this was my thermostat on 24th Dec pic 1 then below that was the thermostat on Xmas day!

 

 

6E68F9A0-09D8-4A75-835B-C49005614E63.jpeg

0E5DAFE2-4C37-4009-99CE-8DD213D114EE.jpeg

 

This one is showing it when it was at like 60deg with duff thermostat, mines a 535d but wouldn't think it would be different very odd..

 

 

04E8ABD2-0B67-4D21-A76F-52435F653C8D.png

Edited by mpgscott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you replaced the EGR & main thermostat? Have you fully bled the system and don't have any air bubbles or leaks? The gearbox thermostat shouldn't make a big difference to the overall running temps. 

 

My coolant temps  (530D M57N2) runs at circa 90 degrees and essentially holds there consistently. My gearbox thermostat isn't working right (i don't believe) as my gearbox temp only gets up to 50 degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

Have you replaced the EGR & main thermostat? Have you fully bled the system and don't have any air bubbles or leaks? The gearbox thermostat shouldn't make a big difference to the overall running temps. 

 

My coolant temps  (530D M57N2) runs at circa 90 degrees and essentially holds there consistently. My gearbox thermostat isn't working right (i don't believe) as my gearbox temp only gets up to 50 degrees. 

DJ are you asking me (Mark) or Pissant?

 

If its me, i have done Gonzo’s mod on the gearbox and was out for an hour today and my gearbox is showing 79-84deg and pretty steady.  My coolant is between 84-87deg and again steady.  When i get upto temp my rev counter dial is showing 4 white bars.  What does yours show?  Done a bit of research and mine looks to be what others are showing when its at optimal temp, my only thought is that possibly Dirty’s gearbox isnt at optimal temp.  Before doing Gonzos mod my gearbox was only ever getting to 58-60deg and my rev counter was showing 7-8 white indicators.  Since sorting out temps i think im good but open to people in the knows thoughts in case i am wrong.

Edited by mpgscott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

DJ are you asking me (Mark) or Pissant?

 

If its me, i have done Gonzo’s mod on the gearbox and was out for an hour today and my gearbox is showing 79-84deg and pretty steady.  My coolant is between 84-87deg and again steady.  When i get upto temp my rev counter dial is showing 4 white bars.  What does yours show?  Done a bit of research and mine looks to be what others are showing when its at optimal temp, my only thought is that possibly Dirty’s gearbox isnt at optimal temp.  Before doing Gonzos mod my gearbox was only ever getting to 58-60deg and my rev counter was showing 7-8 white indicators.  Since sorting out temps i think im good but open to people in the knows thoughts in case i am wrong.

 

it was a question to you as you mentioned about the low temps.

 

Mins is LCI and so does not show the temp via white lines. I only check mine every couple of weeks on a drive via an obd reader and watch the coolant & oil temps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

 

it was a question to you as you mentioned about the low temps.

 

Mins is LCI and so does not show the temp via white lines. I only check mine every couple of weeks on a drive via an obd reader and watch the coolant & oil temps. 

Think mines ok, no i was just showing the symptoms i had when my temp was low.  Was also trying to show how quickly these shite thermostats fail, one night mine was ok temps at 95 then next day it was 57deg, that night on Xmas day i drove 200 odd miles and the temp didn’t rise above 60deg.  I now have temps working so steady 84-87deg so all good.  Also introduced Gonzos gearbox mod using the VAG themostat so today was first time out and properly checking it with ISTA so think its all ok for me.

 

However i dont check the oil temp its only the coolant and gearbox i have been checking.  What’s easiest way to check the oil?  Take it via ISTA is best method?  I have OBD reader for phone also and use Auto Doctor but dont think this shows oil temp.

Edited by mpgscott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the temp is changing that quick, i would be tempted to do a coolant bleed first to make sure you don't have any air bubbles in the system. The coolant level should be stable once it is fully bled and temps are steady.

 

I use Bimmertool to check my temps & functions. I don't need the extra ability of ista. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

If the temp is changing that quick, i would be tempted to do a coolant bleed first to make sure you don't have any air bubbles in the system. The coolant level should be stable once it is fully bled and temps are steady.

 

I use Bimmertool to check my temps & functions. I don't need the extra ability of ista. 

Checked and no air in system all good, I’m running the R5 thermostat mod as was sick of failing bmw stat, so that’s why it drops so quickly however it’s steady around these values..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×