Sign in to follow this  
Biotoxic

Engine parts FAQ

Hello, going to change the gearbox this Friday.

While it's off I'll do a rear main crankshaft seal as I suspect it's leaking(due to amount of oil on pan)

I've seen a few brands online besides OEM. Anybody had done this before or anything that might need to be looked at while gearbox is off.. mounts, bushes etc. 

235k miles on a clock...

As it's a usually a one off and not expensive, go BMW to be safe. Do the sump gasket at the same time.

8 hours ago, Numero9 said:

Although seems steep. If you go aftermarket & it fails you'll spend more in your time and another seal. I'd say OEM too

Get your vin on the invoice and proof it was professionally fitted and BMW would carry out the repair FOC under warranty.

That isn't usually a good thing unfortunately as the techs are useless most of the time. 

It wasn't the main rear... Got a massive leak at the front of the engine. Dude who owns the garage said the gasket between the oil filter and engine tend to leak..  Anybody else had this before?

5 hours ago, Biotoxic said:

It wasn't the main rear... Got a massive leak at the front of the engine. Dude who owns the garage said the gasket between the oil filter and engine tend to leak..  Anybody else had this before?

Quite common & at your millage not surprised. 

19 hours ago, Biotoxic said:

I have a m8 in swindon contacted me in a panic and it was just the oil housing gasket, he soon calmed down :)

On 1/15/2021 at 6:39 PM, Biotoxic said:

They do go but it is very easy to change both gaskets.

A couple of the bolts are difficult to get to with the inlet manifold in place but it can be done with wobble bar extensions on a 1/4" socket set think I did mine in well under two hours on the drive at home (N52 engine) it was over a year ago but I don't remember anything too dramatic.