Jump to content
Martin_London

advice requested for winter tyres G31 520d Sport (2020)

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Stressed said:

I realise the stud pattern is different between the ! series and g31 but would be able to get the 1 series 17" wheel on far enough to check it cleared the disks.

 

Thanks for the pictures. It seems that 17" might be a better/cheaper option and the dealer was talking out of his arse about the M sport plus having M sport brakes!

Just took another two pictures to show the clearance. One for front and one for rear. Hope it can save you some effort moving wheels between two cars.

 

About dealer messing with what is included in m sport plus package, as said before, many dealers I talked to messed up between F3x and G3x M Sport Plus package.

IMG_2729.jpeg

IMG_2730.jpeg

Edited by q96169we

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for the advice, that's really good information. My BMW 520d M Sport version is actually almost the same as the one of 'stressed' and I also bought a pre-reg model back in July 2020. I believe its a mild hybrid.

 

I definitely don't have the coloured brakes, so looks like I am flexible to fit the 17" or 18" wheels and tyres, which would save me lot it seems...!

Edited by Martin_London

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check my photo though. The biggest issue with 17 inch wheel is the look. If you can accept the look, it's good. If not, a set of 18inch original wheel from ebay is about £100 more and price for four tyres is about £100-200 more. So, about £300 difference between 17 and 18 inch winter wheel.

 

My F10 has 17 inch from factory. After 4 years of ownership so far, I've used to the look. Therefore, I don't really mind the look on my G31. However, if you ask me which size looks good (purely the look, don't consider other aspect), I prefer the 20 inch one, not even my 19 inch summer. Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 5:40 PM, q96169we said:

If you have the pre-LCI 520d Touring, then you will be safe to use 17 wheel - 225/55 R17. This is what I have in my 2020 G31 520d pre-LCI built in March. The reason is that in UK, pre-LCI 520d can only have 330mm stardard brake unlike the LCI 520d which can have the blue 348mm (if I remember correctly) brake. 

 

I got a set of second hand 17inch wheel with tyre pressure sensor from ebay then buy the winter tyre to put on. In total, it's about £800 compared to brand new set from bmw which is almost £2000.

 

26 minutes ago, q96169we said:

Check my photo though. The biggest issue with 17 inch wheel is the look. If you can accept the look, it's good. If not, a set of 18inch original wheel from ebay is about £100 more and price for four tyres is about £100-200 more. So, about £300 difference between 17 and 18 inch winter wheel.

 

My F10 has 17 inch from factory. After 4 years of ownership so far, I've used to the look. Therefore, I don't really mind the look on my G31. However, if you ask me which size looks good (purely the look, don't consider other aspect), I prefer the 20 inch one, not even my 19 inch summer. Haha.

 

Yes, I see the point, but you got a really a really good price for a complete set of winter wheels and tyres. I also thought about importing a good set from Germany,  where they seem cheaper but then you're probably hit with customs duties (and the usual VAT of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was looking for a set of winters for my Pre LCI G31 ( summer setup of 20” run flats) I found a full set of brand new 18” wheels and tyres down at Dick Lovett BMW in Bristol. Paid £1000 for them plus £40 shipping up to Perthshire. they have been brilliant in the recent snow running Goodyear ultra grip standard tyres ( non run flat) on 632 wheels.

 

might be worth calling them to see if they have any other sets. I assume the price has gone up as it started snowing recently...

Edited by Bev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 17” winter wheels on my 2018 520i M Sport plus car, no issues at all.

 

The look of the 17” wheels might not be the best but the ride quality and difference in tyre price compared to the bigger sizes definitely makes it worthwhile!

 

I would have recommended looking on eBay for the German wheel shops selling complete sets of barely used wheels, but with brexit and the vat/duty issues I’m not sure how competitive the prices will be now, or if they’ll even ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bev said:

When I was looking for a set of winters for my Pre LCI G31 ( summer setup of 20” run flats) I found a full set of brand new 18” wheels and tyres down at Dick Lovett BMW in Bristol. Paid £1000 for them plus £40 shipping up to Perthshire. they have been brilliant in the recent snow running Goodyear ultra grip standard tyres ( non run flat) on 632 wheels.

 

might be worth calling them to see if they have any other sets. I assume the price has gone us as it started snowing recently...

I actually saw similar deal at York BMW as well. Not as good as yours but close. about £1200 for a set. But, it's in summer and I think they just try to free up space in their wearhouse. I doubt you can have such deal in Winter with snow is currently about 15cm thick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bev - I did reach out to Dick Lovett in Bristol. They have the 632 with Goodyear Ultra Grip tyres that you talked about, but now for 1,500 pound. So you have done a good deal with them.

 

I did check the German websites on Ebay indeed, they have good deals, often for set that are slightly used. I'm just worried about customs duties, as I have no clue what they will charge on top of the usual VAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did buy mine a couple of months back so probably timed it well. Would I buy them for £1500 - I’m not sure I would.  I would be happy knowing that they were BMW supplied original parts from a BMW dealer so would have some recourse if there were any future issues.

 

not sure I would take the chance with imported wheel / tyres if there was a future issue from insurance or defects. I’m way too cautious and risk adverse though.

 

It’s a dilemma for sure...... maybe on balance £1500 for a full set of original wheels and tyres that would retail at £2200 at the peak of the winter rush is still reasonable...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bev said:

I did buy mine a couple of months back so probably timed it well. Would I buy them for £1500 - I’m not sure I would.  I would be happy knowing that they were BMW supplied original parts from a BMW dealer so would have some recourse if there were any future issues.

 

not sure I would take the chance with imported wheel / tyres if there was a future issue from insurance or defects. I’m way too cautious and risk adverse though.

 

It’s a dilemma for sure...... maybe on balance £1500 for a full set of original wheels and tyres that would retail at £2200 at the peak of the winter rush is still reasonable...

Agree with you on the last sentence. It's still a good deal considering the weather at the moment, plus further weather concern for this winter, and the dealer is still doing discount on the winter wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, q96169we said:

A short video footage of the difference between summer tyre and winter tyre on almost same model of cars (G30 vs. G31, both 2020 reg cars, both 520d) and same condition. 

Bet that driver was cursing you :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Martin_London said:

I just spoke with a local BMW dealer who said that 18" wheels may interfere with the computer as the car is set up for 19" wheels...is that true, or just non-sense?

Rubbish IMHO; you change the iDrive settings to match when you change wheels/tyres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Martin_London said:

I just spoke with a local BMW dealer who said that 18" wheels may interfere with the computer as the car is set up for 19" wheels...is that true, or just non-sense?

 

You really do have to wonder about some of these $tealers and the unbelievably low knowledge they sometimes have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Mr H said, go to the tyre pressure monitoring page in your iDrive, check what's available tyre size option there. 225/55/R17 is one of the option for winter tyre. Also, check the tyre pressure label at the driver door frame, 225/55/R17 is also labelled there. 

 

Just wondering which department you spoke to with your dealer? If you spoke to service or sales department, then they may not have the most accurate information. You will need to talk to the part department and let them know your VIN number. They can then tell you the possible tyre size that BMW listed as suitable for your car with some further comment from BMW (e.g incompatible with cars that have M Performance Brake System, as this is an original retrofit parts so won't appeared in the VIN spec list). You can also do similar thing if you go to bmw online shop and using the accessory configurator or whatever they call it. What it does it simply filter out incompatible parts/accessories based on your VIN.

 

To be honest, before I bought the 17 inch wheel from ebay, I was also worrying about the compatibility issue as unlike buying from dealer, I can't return the wheel if they don't fit. Then, after asking three dealers (BMW York where I bought my F10, BMW Sheffield which is now my local dealer, BMW Cambridge where I bought the G31) plus I've actually used the 17 inch wheel on my F10 to try that the G31 brake will fit with enough clearance (just as Stressed and I discussed earlier in this thread), I thought the risk was almost not there. 

 

Also, as said before, price difference between 17 and 18 is not huge. £300-£500 at most.18 will definitely fit with plenty of clearance (although 17 will also definitely fit as I've already fitted them) plus 18 inch wheel is indeed looking better.  Performance between 17 and 18 is almost identical to normal people (maybe Lewis Hamilton can tell the difference). In the snow, my previous footage has shown that I I can drive to the place where summer tyre 520d can't. In the summer, all winter tyres are rubbish. Brand and model of the tyre will actually make more difference than rim size. If it's not because I found a quite good rim deal on ebay, I would go with 18 inch if purchase from dealer.

 

Anyway, conclusion, both 17 and 18 will fit for pre-LCI 520d. Just get the cheaper one you can find and not 100% trust what the dealer told you. Quoting a word here: "Practice is the sole criterion of truth."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×