Scotte39

Headlight connections

Hi guys recently bought a 2000 e39, headlights failed the mot so I bought a preowned set in perfect condition and changed them over but when I was trying to connect the bulb holders into lights there’s one that doesn’t seem to have a slot for the bulb holder to twist into am I missing a adaptor of some kind? The back of my old light had one built onto it but the new ones don’t the picture is of the new light what bulb or adaptor do I need to connect to that thanks for any help 

8FFC7BB1-057E-445E-9967-84664F950CD8.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Scotte39 said:

Hi guys recently bought a 2000 e39, headlights failed the mot so I bought a preowned set in perfect condition and changed them over but when I was trying to connect the bulb holders into lights there’s one that doesn’t seem to have a slot for the bulb holder to twist into am I missing a adaptor of some kind? The back of my old light had one built onto it but the new ones don’t the picture is of the new light what bulb or adaptor do I need to connect to that thanks for any help 

Don't you just push bulb directly between those metal clips without any adapters etc? I believe those are pre-facelift headlights. Mines are facelift, so looking different from back, but that's first idea that's coming in my mind when looking at picture.

Not an easy one to answer from one

picture plus previous owner/s may have changed the units. Can you send pictures of the original unit and the bulb plus connector that you are trying to fit?

37 minutes ago, Scotte39 said:

Which E39 and what year? If you edit your profile; it'll show the car details under your username :) 

IMO they look like aftermarket headlight fittings; Depo as such

Wonder if they need something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-LED-Bulb-Holder-Adaptor-Metal-Clips-For-BMW-5-SERIES-E60/153990384678?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item23da8acc26:g:dQwAAOSwKVhe~I3w&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkxGz2ccqatkEnoeekHqhLkT5K5tTdV615ONqCsRRyOptSFUa7cWBQ4mtMCYYdkHTLIMdGEwrgVzjyo7Z9obao%2Bg8jHXfh93VHpiRDQ9K0W86TPNjhApb71Q4oJ8EfuS7fNGduEQJTeRXY53JR%2BugyAkAi%2FEVP%2BSvxlbRyXiD%2FvRSNojLGcz62uFWjDLOXYCbjQc5%2Bwrqmr77cwyD4j3zGGzGMqcl1A8SC2ksBRJxG0YUpWatoWn2xdRy8msCFp3DSfLVuc8%2BpUygcc44e9Jso5r8CD1SrbQ9CD9CGQxvZEsTHG%2BkqT3CAtU%2FCDigGfpu9lqS0DE8xB2R6%2FgcFv%2Fmz%2BCs9FpfEyxt7O0PNU5Wl49V8Zb4VEGFVJKGxg84thyMT8nXoqHd%2Bw7xdXhs%2Br8VNqhv35M%2F3RJPdD9RMmIWHd8Z%2FOUFkzM53tWMdcKXV3nJmKeNAWGU63UjOYSr74xW9OWu3ofJ4lA%2B1nb5ddqXYpJtXT25t5FGUwwBD2feHfDO4KkW1huDFFyHJOKWJaiT%2F08eg%2FnLNDkoHJTBUPVFRtW1x4QOrRzY8OffRiDBfhok77I997C79ci5Abc2f7c2zyMmr%2B6VIXHXIdIlNh%2BABAzJeYm3UfUjll3pzjEIOuGGg2%2Fv7Hu%2BljO7pawM99IRSvNr8uO2ZfN36c2E5XUcCO3MuotgzFBLDyzyANqVDrGzK3jPYeB83m1F8fbd%2BzjufqE%2FAeDjisLteJYoVrfXM9YOY8hU8JKcnc4fR7euBlaZqUBhoDRY9HKV%2F1Jd7K5oFzQ%3D%3D|cksum%3A1539903846787139b6e0a68042b090a1784780cf5991|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Edited by d_a_n1979

I can take some more pictures of all the wires and bulbs in the car tomorow after work and some of my old lights, I don’t think much of it is original but one side may be but I’m not sure lol, but I would like to get it back to normal fittings and bulbs so it’s easy to swap out when I brake something again and it’s. 5 series 523i 2000 reg pre facelift 

4 minutes ago, Scotte39 said:

I can take some more pictures of all the wires and bulbs in the car tomorow after work and some of my old lights, I don’t think much of it is original but one side may be but I’m not sure lol, but I would like to get it back to normal fittings and bulbs so it’s easy to swap out when I brake something again and it’s. 5 series 523i 2000 reg pre facelift 

These are genuine Hella pre facelift headlights:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-SERIES-Tourer-E39-Front-Headlight-Headlamp-pair/254825367933?hash=item3b54c6897d:g:nWgAAOSw6odf8xZL

Yours should look like this

4 minutes ago, Scotte39 said:

That’s the connection that’s on my old headlights but not the new ones even tho everything else is the same do I just need a different bulb holder? 

Can you put pics up of both sets to stop any confusion please? :) 

Te ones fitted to the car are DEPO; aftermarket shite IMO

The last ones like like original headlight

Have you got both original headlights? If not, I'd suggest you buy original ones like the ones I linked to; if you can. Saves faffing then

Ok perfect yea I have a set of the ones that are pictured last waiting to fit on the car so now I just need to get original build holders to connect to new lights? 

Just throwing this out there. The new ones appear to have a ballast bracket so you would need Xenon bulbs for these - they will work with the projector lens. Is that why you're struggling. The standard halogen bulb won't fit a Xenon housing.

The pictures here may help with what's missing, but I think this confirms you have Xenon headlights and you'll need ballasts etc to get them working. The last image seems to show your headlight buried under a bolt on bulb fitting. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-Nearside-passenger-side-Headlamp-Headlight-Xenon-5-series/174585539979?hash=item28a61bed8b:g:N-MAAOSwNzRf2kOP

Edited by wingman

Yea now I’ve seen them lights in that link that’s what I’m looking for a bolt on bulb I’ve got a hella light coming to replace my broken one and il get Xenon bulbs for theses lights to keep as spare set hopefully the bulbs come with the plate to screw on haha thanks guys been a big help

32 minutes ago, Scotte39 said:

Yea now I’ve seen them lights in that link that’s what I’m looking for a bolt on bulb I’ve got a hella light coming to replace my broken one and il get Xenon bulbs for theses lights to keep as spare set hopefully the bulbs come with the plate to screw on haha thanks guys been a big help

But you need ballasts as well to ignite xenon bulbs, you can't just connect xenon bulb to 12v power and expect it to shine. 

How did you find that I’ve typed that and put the numbers in lol thanks guys think I’ll hold out for some cheaper ones as it’s only a spare set of lights now lol 

6 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

But you need ballasts as well to ignite xenon bulbs, you can't just connect xenon bulb to 12v power and expect it to shine. 

Yea I’m aware you need ballast for xenon lights just didn’t realise I had xenon lights at first if I can get the clips to hold bulbs in easy enough I’ve already got the lights so may as well grab ballasts and hook up next time I smash the headlights e39 parts are uncommon around me so doubt I’ll get another stock set of hella ones 

10 minutes ago, Scotte39 said:

How did you find that I’ve typed that and put the numbers in lol thanks guys think I’ll hold out for some cheaper ones as it’s only a spare set of lights now lol 

The numbers on the cap; in the picture of the eBay link ;) 

www.realoem.com is a superb resource for part numbers too

If you pop the last 7 digits of your VIN into the box at the top of the page; it'll bring up your exact car etc

8 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

The numbers on the cap; in the picture of the eBay link ;) 

www.realoem.com is a superb resource for part numbers too

If you pop the last 7 digits of your VIN into the box at the top of the page; it'll bring up your exact car etc

That’s what I typed in haha perfect thanks il have a look on there quite a few bits I need