Sign in to follow this  
Norseman

Interior

Hi guys, for once I'm not looking for help more of a general interest query.

My '98 523i SE is silver with a dark blue cloth interior. Shortly after my purchase I thought there would be a need to remove the car phone & replace the armrest with a standard item, but I managed to get the 'phone working so there was no need to change the lid.

What I do remember though is the guy at a long established dismantler saying that I would have a long wait for a blue top as in all the years he'd been breaking BM's  E39's with a blue interior rarely came in. Just wonderered if anyone on here had the same spec ?

Thinking of replacing my front seats one day, nothing really wrong with them other than a bit of wear to the driver's outer edge & of course someone's bum has sat on them for 152K ...

Edited by Norseman

Hi,

Dark Blue cloth isn't really desirable for E39 enthusiasts, so if you were to replace with a Black Leather perhaps and put your Blue set up for sale, interest would be minimal. If it was a Sport seats interior and also with the rear child booster seats, you'd get a good bit more interest !

There's perhaps a good number of E39's running around with a dark blue interior, but in general terms, it won't be many. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks for your reply Dennis.

Although I love the car I wouldn't really describe myself as an enthusiast. I always chose older cars over 'moderns' & bought the BM for it's build quality & comfort after a succession of forgetable makes. In fact I like the colour & dislike leather seating in any vehicle … cold in winter (unless heated) & sticky in hot weather, so If I replaced the seats it would be like-for- like both in colour & material as I think it goes well with the wood & silver paintwork 

A slight irritation is the lack of nets on the back of the seats for maps etc. though I guess a sat-nav makes such storage facilities irrelevant .

If you like them, then keep them B)

As said though sourcing spares/ replacements might take a while - most e39's seem to have leather, being seen as "premium", as such cloth might be considered base spec - your car being an early version too many will have succumbed to the crusher and being as the seats weren't sought after will have gone the same way.

Just keep an eye out!

I do & I will :rolleyes:

The seat is at it's highest setting, which suits both of us, though 'ere indoors likes the front lowered as she has shorter legs.

The seats are comfortable & don't antagonise my lower back problem, just thought the resilience of the base may have suffered over the years/miles.

nb:  for real armchair comfort you cannot beat the (velour) seats in my 33 yr. old Range Rover with their multi adjustments & even adjustable height arm-rests.

Common to cars of that era the steering wheel doesn't adjust at all,  but seems to fall just right for distance/angle.

Appreciate your input.

Edited by Norseman