Andyrt200

Lowering springs on a Sport

Sorry I know this has be covered probably more than once but I can’t find the posts now. 

I I didn’t really mean to but one thing lead to another & all the front suspension is off one side now, other shortly to follow. 

I have got one shock off & it’s in excellent condition with a nice smooth action, (I think they where replaced some time before we got it) I will check the other but was thinking the springs are looking a bit rusty so I wondering about just putting some lowering springs on. Don’t want to go down much though. 

I was looking at these https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/h-r-lowering-springs-h-r29742-6/

But they don’t mention anything about sports ride hight, I don’t want 30mm lower than it was with standard sports springs...

14 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Sorry I know this has be covered probably more than once but I can’t find the posts now. 

I I didn’t really mean to but one thing lead to another & all the front suspension is off one side now, other shortly to follow. 

I have got one shock off & it’s in excellent condition with a nice smooth action, (I think they where replaced some time before we got it) I will check the other but was thinking the springs are looking a bit rusty so I wondering about just putting some lowering springs on. Don’t want to go down much though. 

I was looking at these https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/h-r-lowering-springs-h-r29742-6/

But they don’t mention anything about sports ride hight, I don’t want 30mm lower than it was with standard sports springs...

Eibach pro-kit Andy IMO

sideonandsettled.jpg

newboots1.jpg

winterson1.jpg

Perfect drop IMO and no issues re catching anything

c£125 on eBay for the front 2 :) 

5 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

winterson1.jpg

Perfect drop IMO and no issues re catching anything

c£125 on eBay for the front 2 :) 

I think that the 17" 66s appear to be nice 'n' snug with that suspension set up. Looks perfect.

17 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I think that the 17" 66s appear to be nice 'n' snug with that suspension set up. Looks perfect.

Yes I’ve been looking at Dans pictures on his build thread for a long time trying not to be too envious ;)

Think they would work well, the ground isn’t very even here so slightly exaggerated:

mhZbujz.jpg

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Yes I’ve been looking at Dans pictures on his build thread for a long time trying not to be too envious ;)

Think they would work well, the ground isn’t very even here so slightly exaggerated:

mhZbujz.jpg

I think the pro kit springs would be perfect Andy. Just reduce that front arch gap enough to have it nicely around the BBS's etc

They'd match up with the rear gap IMO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs-for-BMW-5-Touring-525i-528i-530i-520d-525ti-E39/230855800660?fits=Cars+Type%3A530i|Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=1509579951&hash=item35c013f754:g:Hj4AAOxygo9Q5bpp

;) 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I think the pro kit springs would be perfect Andy. Just reduce that front arch gap enough to have it nicely around the BBS's etc

They'd match up with the rear gap IMO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs-for-BMW-5-Touring-525i-528i-530i-520d-525ti-E39/230855800660?fits=Cars+Type%3A530i|Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=1509579951&hash=item35c013f754:g:Hj4AAOxygo9Q5bpp

;) 

Great thanks Dan, I’d been searching for sellers with UK stock. One had got back to me & said it would be a good few weeks before they could get any from Germany. 

I ordered the ones from your link, I see they said automatic refund if they can’t get UK stock, a much better way to work!

My friend who runs the warranty Department at the local BMW dealers said they are having terrible trouble getting stock in from Germany at the moment a good three week wait on a lot of things. 

6 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Great thanks Dan, I’d been searching for sellers with UK stock. One had got back to me & said it would be a good few weeks before they could get any from Germany. 

I ordered the ones from your link, I see they said automatic refund if they can’t get UK stock, a much better way to work!

My friend who runs the warranty Department at the local BMW dealers said they are having terrible trouble getting stock in from Germany at the moment a good three week wait on a lot of things. 

Well fingers crossed he has them 

He's who I sourced mine from, they were with me in 2 days 

Oh, do the top mounts too whilst it's all out, peace of mind etc

Edited by d_a_n1979

I have to agree with @d_a_n1979 as I recently fitted the EIbach Pro-kit on my 530i Sport Saloon although the rear sits higher which I think is due to the Bilstein B8 shocks as the fronts are a lovely gap but I have Koni yellows on there.  I got lucky as I managed to source mine second hand but were still boxed as per new and unused, always worth having a look on the known auction sites and a lot easier fitting to the Tourings as you don't have to remove the whole of the rear interior, which saves so much time.

16 hours ago, ttelracs said:

although the rear sits higher

I can set any hight I want with INPA on the rear, but the standard sport hight I went for works well. 

Hopefully the front won’t end up too low when loaded up, I found this picture,the boot is packed here my other half & daughter are in the back but my son isn’t exactly heavy in the front & the drivers seat is empty.

QZk9WZR.jpg

Obviously the rear has pumped its self up but surprising how much the front drops with a little bit of weight on it. 

16 hours ago, ttelracs said:

I have to agree with @d_a_n1979 as I recently fitted the EIbach Pro-kit on my 530i Sport Saloon although the rear sits higher which I think is due to the Bilstein B8 shocks as the fronts are a lovely gap but I have Koni yellows on there.  I got lucky as I managed to source mine second hand but were still boxed as per new and unused, always worth having a look on the known auction sites and a lot easier fitting to the Tourings as you don't have to remove the whole of the rear interior, which saves so much time.

Have you got any pictures of the saloon on the pro kit?

On 08/01/2021 at 16:13, d_a_n1979 said:

They just got back to me saying there is no UK stock, they would have to order for Germany. Same as the other two sellers said over the weekend. Looking at 7 days just to get to them before sending out to me.  

There are German sellers on eBay, I was getting stuff from Germany direct myself in 3 days back in early December. But I’m wondering now what would happen with import duty after Brexit? The gov website just said they maybe import duty. 
I got one of those crap early E39 head units a good few years ago from China,  it was about £250 but I got stung with an £80 import invoice from the courier, just hoping we’re not heading for that situation getting stuff directly from Germany now. Not sure I want to test the situation with these springs! 

2 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

They just got back to me saying there is no UK stock, they would have to order for Germany. Same as the other two sellers said over the weekend. Looking at 7 days just to get to them before sending out to me.  

There are German sellers on eBay, I was getting stuff from Germany direct myself in 3 days back in early December. But I’m wondering now what would happen with import duty after Brexit? The gov website just said they maybe import duty. 
I got one of those crap early E39 head units a good few years ago from China,  it was about £250 but I got stung with an £80 import invoice from the courier, just hoping we’re not heading for that situation getting stuff directly from Germany now. Not sure I want to test the situation with these springs! 

I think the guy sourced them from Germany for me too pal; but as he's the seller, surely he'd take on any fees? But at £125, can't see them being that high.

Personally I'd just get them ordered and see what he comes back with

45 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I think the guy sourced them from Germany for me too pal; but as he's the seller, surely he'd take on any fees? But at £125, can't see them being that high.

Personally I'd just get them ordered and see what he comes back with

He just heard back from him German contact:

bad news….. Brexit means Exit…. Thanks to Mr. Boris ….

No shipping possible to UK…”

I was worried about this, he said the other way was to get Eibach UK to express order them in but that would be an extra £24. 

I’ll give Demon tweaks a call, they are only just up the road from me & have them listed. 

16 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

I’ll give Demon tweaks a call, they are only just up the road from me & have them listed. 

They said no problem getting them but it would be the usual 2 - 3 weeks! I can quite believe that, I got the 335i suspension from them & it took best part of a month to get here. 

I think I’ll try my luck with a German seller on eBay, & probably regret it...

On 09/01/2021 at 10:39, Qasim said:

Have you got any pictures of the saloon on the pro kit?

Here you go, parked in my garages which slope quite a bit but you'll get the idea of the front being lower than the rears.  When summer comes I'll even it out one way or another as I prefer the 'level' look.

E39.jpg

E39 Rear Wheel.jpg

E39 Front Wheel.jpg

2nd Eibach pro kit, lovely drop, not slammed like the sportline kit. marginally lower than a stock sport I think from memory 15mm lower at the front and 10mm at rear or something. Eibach kinda rakes the car which looks good to.

Fitted to my saloon if you want to have a look check out the thread. "rebuilding my 540i"

They complement OEM Sachs sport shocks very well. and also work well with bilstein b6/8 

They look good, my rear end sags on the battery side and overall it looks a bit wonky :lol:.

I fitted new shocks a couple.of years ago but I think the springs definitely need changing.

Thanks a lot guys

3 hours ago, Qasim said:

They look good, my rear end sags on the battery side and overall it looks a bit wonky :lol:.

I fitted new shocks a couple.of years ago but I think the springs definitely need changing.

Thanks a lot guys

Yeah I’m really glad the 530i touring has air bags on the rear, (after I’d replaced every part of the system bar the actual pump) it’s always sitting level. 

My 335i has springs on the rear & it sagged 10mm lower on the battery side when I got it. I cut about 3/4 of a coil off the other side to even it out just as an experiment, it which worked to even it out but the front looked far too high then & technically the cut spring was stiffer than the non cut on on the other side. So I got a set of lowered springs & shocks, but when I fitted them the rear battery side ended up being 10mm lower than the passenger side again. Apparently (according to internet experts I don’t know) its very common with all BMs. Seemingly there were official BMW thicker rubber shims to put above the springs on the earlier 3 series. They didn’t make them for the E9x cars though so I had to make my own. 

However glancing under my friends E39 525i saloon I see it has normal coil over type springs, the 3 series have separate springs & shocks so my shim design wouldn’t be relevant. Incidentally his standard SE sits perfectly level on the rear. 

22 hours ago, ttelracs said:

Here you go, parked in my garages which slope quite a bit but you'll get the idea of the front being lower than the rears.  When summer comes I'll even it out one way or another as I prefer the 'level' look.

E39 Rear Wheel.jpg

2lNHXyN.jpg

You’re only just under SE ride hight there (they are 16”s too) 

Here’s the front if my mates too for reference:

mOea8sU.jpg

To be more technical this is the rear on our Sport when it was sat a little too low before I corrected it with INPA

FnTf7rC.jpg

You measure from the bottom lip of the rim to the top of the arch.  

This is the page from TIS for the touring:

Pvqvu1v.jpg

I need to find that page again soon to check the fronts. Let me know if you want the saloon hights, though they are probably the same. 

On 08/01/2021 at 13:45, Andyrt200 said:

I am fitting a bilstein B12 kit - (in about a year) but based on all my research and discussion with seller - I am expecting a barely noticeable drop as I already have M-tech sport as standard.

On 13/01/2021 at 15:30, ttelracs said:

E39.jpg

E39 Rear Wheel.jpg

E39 Front Wheel.jpg

Hi ttelracs - tell me to pi$$ off - but being honest i think something doesnt look right there.... I have a B12 kit ready to fit when I get to it and I dont expect it to ride like that at all. You mention earlier about shocks - but shocks should have no bearing on ride height at all really. in theory you should be able to remove them and the car will sit at the same height - are you 100% sure you have seated the springs properly and nothing is amiss due to bump stops etc etc - see WAITEE hes got pics up with the same kit

Just seen these pics...

Deffo riding too high for Eibach pro kit springs; that looks higher than OEM Mtech Sport suspension...

Wonder if the springs haven't been seated right or similar?

Thanks @stubobby and @d_a_n1979.  I thought the rear was a bit high and it would settle, which it has to a degree but not as much as I would've hoped.  I'm waiting for it to warm up and then I'll remove and recheck. Maybe I fitted them upside down but they are seated properly on the rubber mounts and refitted exactly as the standard sport springs were before and the standard sports were the same height, if not slightly lower.

It now really bugs me and it's such a phaff removing and refitting these to the saloon but I'm going to have do them again.

Here’s the front factory hights:

yku8dVZ.jpg

8EggMhg.jpg

Interesting there are two different low suspension packages listed but both with the same hights.

As standard the Sport should be 20mm higher on the front.
Looking forward to measuring it with the new springs if they ever turn up!