Jump to content
Oldbilly

Bluetooth diagnostics

Recommended Posts

I would like some help, I’m looking for a Bluetooth diagnostics for my 2011 525d f11 something fairly comprehensive, price range £50 to £80 ish I have carried out an internet search but many of the reviews are misleading, so it’s difficult to know what to buy so advice from members would be helpful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apples12 said:

I keep a vlink Bluetooth adapter in the glovebox and bimmer tool on my phone. Fairly inexpensive and does what I need it to

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use for many years the carly app. Easy to use. Lits if possibilities. Not only standard obd functions. But also for new battery, adapton reset auto transmission etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Carly app is ridiculously expensive though with an annual subscription equivalent to an all-time purchase of other tools and few additional features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Boba said:

The Carly app is ridiculously expensive though with an annual subscription equivalent to an all-time purchase of other tools and few additional features.

Yeah. Confusing how much they seem to be able to charge.

 

Bt and bimmertool for me. Anything more than that I'd just get a foxtel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had for several years the Foxwell NT510 Multi System Scanner which has now been replaced with NT530, I have also got Blue Tooth  Vgate dongle with the Bimmer Tool on my phone, they are both excellent tools whilst the Foxwell can do a bit more I have found  the bimmer tool is quick and easy  getting information on the DPF  soot levels etc, where  the Foxwell has to go through lots of menus to get access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Oldbilly said:

Thanks for the input, after some research I have now purchased the Vlink and will get the bimmercode app.

The bimmercode is just for coding not for diagnostic. For diagnostic, it's called bimmerlink. Good news is the latest bimmerlink now support putting electric parking brake into service mode, which save some effort if you want to do your rear brake service yourself.

 

For the ODB adapter, I would suggest go to bimmercode website for further detail. Although, if I remember correctly, the vLinker adapter support a lot of cars, some adapter won't support G-series car or has limited functionality when work with G-series car.

Edited by q96169we

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have the Vgate pro with the bimmercode  app and I’ve done some coding, start stop disabled and a number of other changes to ambient lighting, daytime running lights I also brought the bimmerlink iOS app but it won’t connect to the Vgate, done some research on this and I have the connection on Bluetooth but I’ve read some have the connection on WiFi is this what I’m doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oldbilly said:

Well I have the Vgate pro with the bimmercode  app and I’ve done some coding, start stop disabled and a number of other changes to ambient lighting, daytime running lights I also brought the bimmerlink iOS app but it won’t connect to the Vgate, done some research on this and I have the connection on Bluetooth but I’ve read some have the connection on WiFi is this what I’m doing wrong?

Make sure you disconnected from your cars Bluetooth system otherwise it won't connect to bimmertool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply will give it a try, will the Bluetooth iPhone connection to the car cause any problems connecting?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the vgate icar pro bluetooth 4.0, iphone, and both BimmerCode and BimmerLink. All works ok regardless whether the phone is connected to idrive or not. In fact, the phone also connects to my watch, airpod at the same time. Have you choose the correct adaptor in BimmerLink setting? Compared to BimmerCode, BimmerLink will auto connect when start the app by default so it is easily assumed that it will search for available adaptor and connect automatically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2021 at 12:43, Oldbilly said:

Thanks for the reply will give it a try, will the Bluetooth iPhone connection to the car cause any problems connecting?

 

Mine wont connect if its connected to cars Bluetooth but mines android bimmertool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marko530d said:

Mine wont connect if its connected to cars Bluetooth but mines android bimmertool. 

I had same problem bimmerlink and I altered the Bluetooth on the bimmerlink phone app to on, and it connected immediately, hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for what its worth, I have been using Carly historically but as others have pointed out, it isn't cheap by the time you've purchased the adaptor and then the yearly subscription.

 

I now use Bimmertool as it has better live data functionality (or certainly more visible at any one time). I use the Carly adapter and it works fine, no need to disconnect from my cars bluetooth or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For not much more and just over £100 you can get a dedicated BMW diagnostic scanner. 

 

I have the Foxwell NT530 for BMW which cost me £108 from ebay and its already paid for itself many times over now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

For not much more and just over £100 you can get a dedicated BMW diagnostic scanner. 

 

I have the Foxwell NT530 for BMW which cost me £108 from ebay and its already paid for itself many times over now.

Would be interested if the NT530 change the Engine stop/start mode ?  (Switch it off)

Edited by guysat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, guysat said:

Would be interested if the NT530 change the Engine stop/start mode ?  (Switch it off)


The NT530 is more geared to diagnostics rather than coding which is what you are after for that ability.  It can do some basic coding I believe but I’ve not checked that function out myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×