deamed11

1976 E12 Windshield instalation

Having troubles instaling rear windshield. I tried allkind of methods .The one that works best is placing the rubber seal on the car first and then puting windshield in but it seem that it kinda dousn't fit where it supposed to. Top and both sides where the rubber trim should be going are almost shut and it seem that there would be no way to insert the trim. What is the right way it should be put in. Im going to have to put in front windshield also but currently im stuck with the rear one.

Some useful experience's in this mye28.com thread including E28's, E23's and E30's.  Covers both options of rubber in frame first and rubber on glass first.  Interesting comment about lower lock strip in rubber on frame before inserting the glass:

https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=124652

Best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Yes i have read it. And also i have heard that somewhere else alsto that as far as i understand. Rubber first then bottom lock strip and then glass and ther other lock strips. Could someone please confirm? Cus i wonder how could it make it work apart from making the window inserting more difficult. Thank you for help !

The way they were done was to put cord into the inner lip seal and cross over for a short section at the bottom. Someone inside pulls the cord which allows the seal to fold over the lip. Another person pushing on the glass from the outside.

The trim is inserted after with a tool that the trim fits through, pulling the tool expands the rubber allowing  the trim to seat. It expands the rubber to form the seal.

The front screen large trim is inserted first then the screen is fitted, followed by the smaller trim.

Fit the bottom of the screen first, especially the front as the large trim fitted makes it a little harder.

It can be achieved other ways but this is how it was done when all cars had rubber surrounds. It is also what was in the BMW manual.

https://magmatools.en.made-in-china.com/product/MefxBktKZZAo/China-Windscreen-Installation-Kit-MG50787-.html

I have this set, I have made tools before, but this has all you need.