Jonhamil

Space Saver Tyre

Lol, I bought new rears a few months ago thinking I'd have them on in a couple of weeks, they're still at work waiting for the last bit of the rears to go. I've done about 3k since I bought it at the beginning of Sept. I've saved a fortune on fuel. 

Here you go a few pictures of the wheel in the boot. As there is only me and the wife it’s not an issue with space. We go down to Spain and hate the thought of not having control over my ability to get to a garage myself.082A78AE-2341-4586-9C2D-FC06286184AD.thumb.jpeg.fa248b2b48d9823db992bd441d1d86c1.jpegE2F4B11B-1E9F-4229-B847-CD1DE9C9005C.thumb.jpeg.e2e46e578b624e88ecb24e98b0fce106.jpeg

Edited by Phill20d

2 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I've done about 3k since I bought it at the beginning of Sept. I've saved a fortune on fuel. 

Me too; less than 2k in the same period!

2 hours ago, Phill20d said:

Here you go a few pictures of the wheel in the boot. As there is only me and the wife it’s not an issue with space. We go don’t to Spain and hate the thought of not having control over my ability to get to a garage myself.

That's really helpful Phill. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

So today I tested out the eBay spacesaver spare wheel that I bought last week. Here's what I found if it helps anyone (fitting to my 2017 G31 5 series estate with M Sport brakes):

- It fits! Good start. Just clears the M Sport brakes - the guy at BMW was right any smaller than 18" and it would have fouled on them. 

- The jack is generic and doesn't directly fit the jacking points. You could probably use it in an emergency but it would probably damage the plastic sill trim. I used it with a rubber jacking pad and it did the job. I have now ordered a second hand BMW genuine jack off eBay as that will fit directly. 

- The extendible wrench is good but the nuts that it comes with are the wrong size. You need 17mm socket on it. It's also useful to have a spare 1/2" short extender to aid undoing the nuts quickly once they're loose. 

- You definitely need to pack a kneeling pad, headtorch and disposable rain poncho in your kit bag :-)

- You need a seperate bag for the jack and tools to stop them bouncing around and making a racket in your boot. I bought this from Amazon today which looks like it will do the trick: https://amzn.to/3o1g7fQ

- Probably a good idea to get folding wheel chocks too. I got these: https://amzn.to/3bSfLWp

Here are some pics in case they help anyone:

IMG_9666.JPG

IMG_9667.JPG

IMG_9668.JPG

Edited by Jonhamil
addition

Good write up, in my F11 I had the wheel in the nylon bag in the boot. I had a jacking puck like yours, the extending wrench and a socket with a nylon outer to stop any wheel damage all stored inside the wheel. I tie wrapped them to the holes in the wheel to save space and stop any rattling.

42 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Good write up, in my F11 I had the wheel in the nylon bag in the boot. I had a jacking puck like yours, the extending wrench and a socket with a nylon outer to stop any wheel damage all stored inside the wheel. I tie wrapped them to the holes in the wheel to save space and stop any rattling.

Good call on the nylon coated sockets. I just bought this from Amazon: https://amzn.to/3sFIgMU 

Pricey but worth it to protect the alloys. 

Hadn't thought about using tie-wraps - thanks for that too :-)

what does the official BMW car jack look like ?  seems to be two types - articulated ( with a screw) ,and scissor (the generic jack) . Neither are listed as appropriate for my car on the BMW shop

the scissor jack looks exactly like your generic jack. I think that jacking pads are the way to go

There is a lot of plastic under these cars so so it indeed pays to be careful 

1 hour ago, Jonhamil said:

Good call on the nylon coated sockets. I just bought this from Amazon: https://amzn.to/3sFIgMU 

Pricey but worth it to protect the alloys. 

Hadn't thought about using tie-wraps - thanks for that too :-)

No problem.

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003AMZNIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the pucks from fleabay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Jack-Pad-Easter-present-BMW-1-2-4-5-6-7-3-Mini-R50-Rubber-Jacking-Pad/274653510241?hash=item3ff29ffa61:g:WaUAAOSwTwZf8DPh

23 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

I think that jacking pads are the way to go

Indeed, when I bought my F11 the jacking recesses had all been damaged/misshaped, I've never been asked for the puck at any tire please, I've always given it to them I'm certain they'd not use it if I wasn't there.

11 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Indeed, when I bought my F11 the jacking recesses had all been damaged/misshaped, I've never been asked for the puck at any tire please, I've always given it to them I'm certain they'd not use it if I wasn't there.

There is a special jacking pad for Beemers, but the G series doesnt seem to be listed. Is the list just out of date or have things changed

RUBBER JACKING POINT TO JACK ADAPTER FOR BMW

https://x8r.co.uk/rubber-jacking-point-jack-pad-adaptor-tool-for-bmw-vehicles.html

9 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

There is a special jacking pad for Beemers, but the G series doesnt seem to be listed. Is the list just out of date or have things changed

RUBBER JACKING POINT TO JACK ADAPTER FOR BMW

https://x8r.co.uk/rubber-jacking-point-jack-pad-adaptor-tool-for-bmw-vehicles.html

The jack point and therefore pad is the same on Gxx and Fxx models.

54 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

what does the official BMW car jack look like ?  seems to be two types - articulated ( with a screw) ,and scissor (the generic jack) . Neither are listed as appropriate for my car on the BMW shop

the scissor jack looks exactly like your generic jack. I think that jacking pads are the way to go

I got this one - the scissor type. It has a engagement plate that looks the same size as the jack pad, so hopefully it will work. Will post an update when it arrives. It's officially for 2000-2006 X5:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-2006-BMW-X5-E53-EMERGENCY-CAR-LIFT-JACK/133613450696?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The jack pad I used - I originally bought for my E61 - they are definitely interchangeable. 

Edited by Jonhamil
addition

8 minutes ago, Jonhamil said:

I got this one - the scissor type. It has a engagement plate that looks the same size as the jack pad, so hopefully it will work. Will post an update when it arrives. It's officially for 2000-2006 X5:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-2006-BMW-X5-E53-EMERGENCY-CAR-LIFT-JACK/133613450696?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The jack pad I used - I originally bought for my E61 - they are definitely interchangeable. 

Interested in your findings, the issue I had prev was clearance, esp with a flat tyre.

21 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Interested in your findings, the issue I had prev was clearance, esp with a flat tyre.

^^^
A fact that’s often missed is whether you can fit the Jack with a flat tyre especially with smaller wheel sizes where the height lost by the flat tyre is greatest.

Yeah, looking at it the scissor ones are probably the best bet, a bottle jack would be no good.

Just not the most secure imo but fine for swapping a wheel over, anything else you'd use an axle stand.

1 hour ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Yeah, looking at it the scissor ones are probably the best bet, a bottle jack would be no good.

Just not the most secure imo but fine for swapping a wheel over, anything else you'd use an axle stand.

the best ones for access were the old fashioned ones on Fords, Renaults etc. where the jacking point was side entry and the tongue of the jack could be wound down to within an inch of the ground. Not cosmetically beautiful but practical though, and super mechanical advantage so lifting the car was a doddle.

Edited by Boba

21 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

@Jonhamil how did you get on with the X5 jack?

@bmwf113.0d Worked a treat - it has loads of clearance under the car and fits perfectly into the jacking point - I'm pretty sure that jacking point is standard across all BMWs. It just fits into the bag from Amazon too. I'll do a YouTube video of the whole setup shortly :-)

IMG_20210209_1312377.jpg

IMG_20210209_1312505.jpg

IMG_20210209_1313027.jpg

Excellent thanks, getting some NRF's on this week so I'll buy the same jack for ease (I do have a puck but it's a bit of a faf in comparison)

Also just ordered a spacesaver from fleabay for it. and a bag from t'Amazon.