Shaun1111

Rich running.

So now I have the love back for my e28 Im looking to tackle some Jobs. 

One being the rich running. Not to sure where to start. The TCA is set up as it should. Cold start is plugged in so could possibly be this.... 

Absolutely stinks when it's running. Not as bad as it once did but that was the timing out. I have a spare AFS from a 635csi that I bought in a bulk load. I could try that but I fear the parts aren't interchangeable even though they have the same connections/layout. 

A search has thrown up a few posts but non had a conclusion on how they fixed the fault 

Its a 528i M30

Cheers, Shaun 

I think its Bosch L-tronic on these which is a fairly crude system if i recall with limited inputs.

The ecu is simply interpolating various sensor inputs in a fairly binary way. So if could input is x warm y etc.

I would suggest car either thinks its cold so "on choke" or thinks its getting more air than it is.

There's no feedback so it just carries on.

Checking my haynes EMS trouble shooting manual the fault finding section suggests (sadly doesn't cover this set up only motronic on)

1. Check air filter

2. Check oil and PCV system (crank breateher)

3. Check CO%

4. Fuel pressur too high

5. Injector fault

6. Coolant temp sensor

7. AFS/ AFM

I would say there is something telling the ECU fibs!

Great thanks, 

Ill take a look into these. When I purchased the car the cold start injector was unplugged, I've plugged it back in. Not sure why but It may be because of this. 

Ill check everything over and see if I can see anything. 

If you have a Bentley Manual and a multi meter you can test a lot of these sensors. 

I”m  thinking coolant temp sensor or afm would be prime suspects. 

I've no idea what a TCA is. 

Throttle position switch (TPS)? This sits on the side of the throttle body and is less prone to filling with oil as those on the M20. You need to hear the TPS click as the throttle is opened. That's the micro-switch inside telling the ECU to switch from the idle to part load maps. If it doesn't, the ECU will be throwing fuel in. Could be a coolant temp sensor. Could be the cold start injector which really, isn't needed in mild weather. Try unplugging it.

The 3.5 air flow meter is the 0280 203 027, the 2.8 one is an 0280 202 025 so no, the 3.5 one won't work properly. By all means try it as it may improve the running and tell you where the issue is. 

Tca..... Ha ha ha that's fitted to the trains I work on (track circuit actuator) 

I mean TPS. Mine is set up. Bob on can hear it click over with a touch of throttle. 

Ill get my Bentley out and have a scan through and get testing. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Taffy 1 said:

Never mind it clicking . you need to use a continuity/ohm meter to make sure there is a circuit.

Yes it's working as it needs too. More than happy with how to test and fault find it. 

Cheers 

You're more than welcome, I've spent 35 years fault finding my M30B25 and M30B34 engines together with all peripherals. I am also an honours grad in my discipline. I also have 50 years experience in Elec.Eng.

Cheers.

Edited by Taffy 1

No it's fine. Always good to understand someone's background and their methods. 

I'm an ex-army soldier (shipwright) 

Now work for southern rail as a technician. (mainly do fault finding on high and low voltage systems) we are all trying to help each other. 

Cheers bud, I tend to get bad tempered sometimes. My eldest did 24 years in !st W.G.

Kind regards,

Taffy 1