Shaun1111

Water Pump and rad change.

So, tomorrow is the day I'll be replacing both. 

Water pump has atleast 1 snapped bolt so I'll be welding washers and nuts to them to get them out. 

I'll need 11lts of coolant, I'll get 50/50 from euros at some point. 

From when I done my 520, is it still best to run the block through with water till it runs clear? 

Merry Christmas and a happy new year Shaun 

Merry Christmas Shaun,

Bentley Manual, chapter 10 Cooling System,

paragraph 4.1 To drain and fill cooling system,

sub-paragraph 4 "Remove the engine block drain plug from the engine block.  See Fig. 4.2.  The drain plug is located on the driver's side of the block, beneath number six cylinder".

So the passenger side to you and me most likely obscured by the starter motor :rolleyes:

Just had a squint under the Diamantschwartz Eta and the starter motor prevents me from seeing the drain plug :sad:

Do you have any more pictures of your smart Platinum Green E28?

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

DSCN10221144413219.jpg.de4c1774a58825504259422e0f7db37d.jpgI have literally carried out this job weeks ago. The block drain plug is on the R.H. side of the M30B28 engine (not the starter motor side) and is adjacent to no 6 cylinder.

Sorry Mick!

Kind regards, a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Edited by Taffy 1

I also would reccomend using BMW blue anti freeze copncentrate mixed with equal parts of distilled or ionised water not any cheapo ECP stuff!

Edited by Taffy 1

So, 

Job done, found a 2nd snapped bolt and everything was covered in silicone. New stat fitted as mine was again covered in silicone. 

Just need to run it up once the ba y is awake as it makes a bit of noise. Lol

Thanks for all your help. 

5 hours ago, Taffy 1 said:

DSCN10221144413219.jpg.de4c1774a58825504259422e0f7db37d.jpgI have literally carried out this job weeks ago. The block drain plug is on the R.H. side of the M30B28 engine (not the starter motor side) and is adjacent to no 6 cylinder.

Sorry Mick!

Kind regards, a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Hi Ivor,

Not a surprise as the 528i (M30B28 engine) was not supplied for the US market so would not figure in the Bentley Manual.

This may well be another of the subtle RHD / LHD differences too.

From an engineering prospective it makes more sense to have the drain point on the lower side of an inclined engine anyway.

That looks like a substantial amount of work you are into their sir.  I thought your E28 had an M30B34 engine or have you acquired another E28 on the QT?

Happy New Year.

Mick

5 hours ago, Taffy 1 said:

I also would recommend using BMW blue anti freeze concentrate mixed with equal parts of distilled or ionised water not any cheapo ECP stuff!

I agree with this recommendation.

It was explained to me that the BMW blue contains anti-corrosive elements to protect the system because of the collection of dissimilar metals that make up the engine (iron block / alloy head etc.).  These elements are only active / effective for a couple of years, hence the two year coolant flush & replace maintenance recommendation from BMW.

I have followed this with M20 and M30 engines since 1984 and not had any coolant system issues.  I also exchange the water pump when I replace the timing belt on an M20 engine too.

A couple of E21 engines I had back in the day had badly corroded and overheating cooling systems, which responded well after a good clean and the application of BMW blue with two yearly change regime.

Happy New Year.

Mick

Good Afternoon Mick,

The M30 engine blocks are the same externally so the M30B25, M30B28 and M30B34 pictures can be used for either. And no mate, I'm not stripping down my engine it's an image I used to ascertain the whereabouts of the block drain plug downloaded from the web :D.

Hi Ivor,

I thought the E28 addiction had got a hold of you and you might have rescued another one.

My name is Mick, and I am an addict:

gallery_52342_684_112282.jpg

IMG_1372.JPG.5e41ac88927234827528d355b9471773.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG.fce43f8dd44100d83498857d578c6303.JPG

Mick

Few pictures of what I found along the way. 

Snapped stud was extracted by welding a washer on then a nut to the washer. With clean breaks I like to weld a washer on as you see through it and your more likely to get good penetration. 

If your on Instagram follow my pictures at @e28_resto 

Cheers, Shaun 

IMG_20201230_115805_876.jpg

IMG_20201230_115805_877.jpg

IMG_20201230_115805_878.jpg

4 hours ago, Ordnator said:

Hi Ivor,

I thought the E28 addiction had got a hold of you and you might have rescued another one.

My name is Mick, and I am an addict:

gallery_52342_684_112282.jpg

IMG_1372.JPG.5e41ac88927234827528d355b9471773.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG.fce43f8dd44100d83498857d578c6303.JPG

Mick

No Mick I'm not an E28 slut like you - I'm true to one only.... My girlfriend of 34 years,,,.shhh...she might hear you suggesting I carry on with other e28s....might throw a fan belt out of temper. There, there my love don't listen to the nasty man.

4 hours ago, Shaun1111 said:

Snapped stud was extracted by welding a washer on then a nut to the washer. With clean breaks I like to weld a washer on as you see through it and your more likely to get good penetration. 

IMG_20201230_115805_876.jpg

Looks like you had some coolant sat in there for a while.  There may well be some sludge tucked away in the corners, dead legs and at the bottom of the system.  Certainly looks like it needs a vigorous flush.

IMG_20201230_115805_877.jpg

That is a neat solution.  Never seen that approach before - every day is a school day :cool:

IMG_20201230_115805_878.jpg

Wow, how did the thermostat ever work with all that silicone.  Hope that there are no blobs swimming around the cooling system :shock:

I put a thin smear of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the surface of the castings before pushing the coolant hoses on.  I find it helps the hoses on and off.

I also bed the water pump gasket and thermostat gasket with a thin smear of Vaseline too, to keep the gasket from moving and to help the castings to separate later without breaking up the gasket.  It also helps to prevent the powdery corrosion deposits on the mating faces where the coolant evaporates off if it leaks. 

Vaseline is a non-emulsifying grease so will not absorb or break down in water.

Keep up the good work sir, it will look the "mutts" when completed.

Best regards,

Mick

I can't upload the picture of the engine flush but I was grim. 

I used normfest, was recommended to me from a pal who runs his own VW/audi garage. I put 2 bottles in.

Ive put 6lts of concentrate in but cannot put anymore in so assume the block has the fresh water in. I couldn't get to the block drain plug as I need it up in the air but I don't have the capacity to currently.