siras

1994 - RHD - E34 - B10 3.0 ALLRAD TOURING - OXFORD GREEN / PARCHMENT LEATHER

Hi Guys, I'm a life long BMW lover, I have had various Alpinas in the past, and currently have an E30 M3,

I have recently acquired a RIGHT HAND DRIVE 1994 - E34 525ix Touring first registered on 29/04/94 and converted by Sytner Nottingham to ALPINA B10 3.0, the sales invoice for the conversion details is dated 31-05-94. Attached below is a copy of the original sales invoice.

Chassis number; GD79205 
Registration No; L67 ORC,

I am the third owner of the car, and it has covered 126,000 miles from new, with mountains of service history and maintence. I purchased the car from an elderly gentleman who has owned the car since 1999.

The vehicle is finished in one of my personal favourite colour schemes of Metallic Oxford Green with a beautiful contrasting full parchment leather interior. The car also has a stitched ALPINA steering wheel, exhaust etc

Being relatively low in miles (in my opinion), but used as a daily car for its whole life, it could benefit from a full body respray. However perfectly useable as it is. 

I am planning to have the car re-commissioned, carry out a full bare metal body respray, have the alloy wheels refurbished and source a period correct Alpina front splitter, and have a set of ALPINA decals installed on the car.

I do believe from research on this website that 70 touring cars where built in total.

I would like any additional inforamtion the fellow Alpina Enthuisasts may have on this Model, or the car if anyone knows the car from the chassis/registration.

Kindest regards & Merry Christmas to you all ,

BC99A286-5F30-4DBA-89C1-6CCBAB1B9DA7.thumb.jpeg.014226e205cd0d48865fc81b33b29ade.jpeg

AD2BE11C-A64E-4E72-83D5-99489DE6881A.thumb.jpeg.80211445444a0fb5d89260df54e2f560.jpeg

Hi Siras and welcome to forum5.

I noticed your post on the alpinaregister and linked to it in this thread....

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/37519-calling-the-experts-e34-b10-allrad/

There is a little mis-information in the early part of the thread (the first post was in 2010) but to precis the details for you; it was always thought (because Sytner, who are not gtreat at keeping records, said so) that there were only two right hand drive Alpina B10 3.0 AllRad ever made, both saloons, both automatic, both made under concession by Sytner here in the UK.

One of the cars has been dismantled, and the long term owner of the other car has also fairly recently joined this forum...

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/142067-restoration-project/

Your car has all the evidence to suggest it is a genuine Sytner-made Alpina car but checking a few things will help you confirm this beyond all doubt;

There should be a build plaque in the centre console of the car ahead of the gear lever

The engine ECU should have an Alpina sticker on it.

If the car was made in the home of Alpina, Buchloe, there will be a a crossed out BMW chassis number on the drivers side suspension turret and an Alpina chassis plate added to the drivers side inner wing near the bonnet hinge mounting. This last evidence would only be present if the car was made at the Alpina factory, which would be unlikely given that the two saloons were made at Sytner Nottingham and sold to their first owners at a similar time to your car.

There is also a very specific part number for the Alpina B10 3.0 AllRad wheels as although they are visually similar in size and offset to a set of wheels Alpina provided for the E36 Alpina cars there is a suspicion they are strengthened for the extra weight of the E34 chassis.

I would urge you to check the ECU for a sticker as a few fake Alpina cars now exist due to a few factors; 

1. The fact that Sytner kept poor records of the BMW chassis numbers of cars they converted for customers,

2. The fact that Sytner converted cars as Alpina 'lookalikes' (B3.5, B5.0, Alpina sport, etc) for customers who could not afford the full engine and transmission ,

3. The fact that Sytner now no longer have any records of those cars they converted, and finally

4. The fact that it is easy to move a plaque, a badge and wheels from a Sytner made car  to another car and say it is the original.

In terms of the full specification and the list of the left hand drive factory made cars then the alpina-archive is the best place to look...

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?cat=401

Best of luck restoring the car and I hope it is a genuine car that has previously not been heard or seen - a nice discovery.

Hi Siras and welcome to the forum from another long term iX owner and breaker. That invoice looks very genuine (the BHP figure is correct) so it looks like this is an undocumented RHD Alpina Allrad touring, the only touring so converted. Although you don't say it, from the vin I can tell it is an automatic. I recently saw the only surviving saloon and supplied a key part for it so if you need anything please PM me. 

I also keep a register of iX's and this is a new one to me so some photos would be appreciated.

Your restoration plans sound, comprehensive and well justified, most of the iX's I have broken were scrapped due to rot. Being winter cars they were very exposed to salty conditions and unless properly washed down properly afterwards, have a lot of rust issues nowdays. 

Anyway feel free to ask questions, good luck with the restoration. Cheers Geoff

1 hour ago, Dongiov said:

Hi Siras and welcome to the forum from another long term iX owner and breaker. That invoice looks very genuine (the BHP figure is correct) so it looks like this is an undocumented RHD Alpina Allrad touring, the only touring so converted. Although you don't say it, from the vin I can tell it is an automatic. I recently saw the only surviving saloon and supplied a key part for it so if you need anything please PM me. 

I also keep a register of iX's and this is a new one to me so some photos would be appreciated.

Your restoration plans sound, comprehensive and well justified, most of the iX's I have broken were scrapped due to rot. Being winter cars they were very exposed to salty conditions and unless properly washed down properly afterwards, have a lot of rust issues nowdays. 

Anyway feel free to ask questions, good luck with the restoration. Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thank you so much, what parts do you have available?

I’m really beginning to love the car and looking forward to the pending restoration. I will send some pictures over for you so that you have a record for the Ix register,

pleasure to have met some great guys through this forum, sharkfan and yourself included,

regards 

Kev

On 12/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, sharkfan said:

Hi Siras and welcome to forum5.

I noticed your post on the alpinaregister and linked to it in this thread....

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/37519-calling-the-experts-e34-b10-allrad/

There is a little mis-information in the early part of the thread (the first post was in 2010) but to precis the details for you; it was always thought (because Sytner, who are not gtreat at keeping records, said so) that there were only two right hand drive Alpina B10 3.0 AllRad ever made, both saloons, both automatic, both made under concession by Sytner here in the UK.

One of the cars has been dismantled, and the long term owner of the other car has also fairly recently joined this forum...

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/142067-restoration-project/

Your car has all the evidence to suggest it is a genuine Sytner-made Alpina car but checking a few things will help you confirm this beyond all doubt;

There should be a build plaque in the centre console of the car ahead of the gear lever

The engine ECU should have an Alpina sticker on it.

If the car was made in the home of Alpina, Buchloe, there will be a a crossed out BMW chassis number on the drivers side suspension turret and an Alpina chassis plate added to the drivers side inner wing near the bonnet hinge mounting. This last evidence would only be present if the car was made at the Alpina factory, which would be unlikely given that the two saloons were made at Sytner Nottingham and sold to their first owners at a similar time to your car.

There is also a very specific part number for the Alpina B10 3.0 AllRad wheels as although they are visually similar in size and offset to a set of wheels Alpina provided for the E36 Alpina cars there is a suspicion they are strengthened for the extra weight of the E34 chassis.

I would urge you to check the ECU for a sticker as a few fake Alpina cars now exist due to a few factors; 

1. The fact that Sytner kept poor records of the BMW chassis numbers of cars they converted for customers,

2. The fact that Sytner converted cars as Alpina 'lookalikes' (B3.5, B5.0, Alpina sport, etc) for customers who could not afford the full engine and transmission ,

3. The fact that Sytner now no longer have any records of those cars they converted, and finally

4. The fact that it is easy to move a plaque, a badge and wheels from a Sytner made car  to another car and say it is the original.

In terms of the full specification and the list of the left hand drive factory made cars then the alpina-archive is the best place to look...

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?cat=401

Best of luck restoring the car and I hope it is a genuine car that has previously not been heard or seen - a nice discovery.

Good Afternoon Sharkfan,

I checked the above and found the sticker on the ecu, ALPINA markings on the suspension,

and amazingly on the center console ahead of the gear leaver the owner had a Motorola phone installed with the speaker fitted in front of the plaque, I moved the speaker out of the way and the plaque was there bright as day, I’ve attached a picture below! 

I beginning to feel like this is an extremely rare and one of a very few cars, allrad, touring, 3.0 ALPINA? And to finish it off right hand drive,

Hope all is well,

Kevin

ED2C420D-754A-4D27-BC58-25081AD07CF2.thumb.jpeg.1782bb8f0f18399cfd8977e693daf212.jpeg

Hi Siras, well done for confirming all the correct Alpina bits as well as 'uncovering' the plaque.

Because the Buchloe produced B10 3.0 Allrad Touring number 0002 is known...

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=6706&nmt=B10-3-0-Allrad-Touring-02

...then it strongly suggests your car was made by Sytner in Nottingham. The number on the plaque obviously and intriguingly suggests there was a 0001 rhd Touring...

The ECU check and bill with matching chassis number to the current car is enough for me to whole-heartedly believe it is genuine Alpina car so well done. 

In terms of rareness globally there were 70 left hand drive Tourings made, and now yours of course, but as I said, rhd car 0001 was probably made and might still exist but for now yours is the only rhd B10 3.0 AllRad Touring and just the second rhd E34 Alpina Touring - the other car is a B10 4.6 with a 340bhp V8 engine fitted. As stated above somewhere, Sytner also made up two rhd B10 3.0 AllRad saloons that we know of, although just one remains.

I know Dongiov quite well and as he has quite a lot of spares as well as huge amount of 525iX specific knowledge it would be easier for you to ask what you might need instead of what he's got.

In terms of desirability there have been a few on this forum, myself included, who over the years have dreamed of getting hold of a decent E34 525iX Touring and somehow converting it to Alpina specification -  and the person who ordered the only B10 4.6 Touring in rhd also first wanted a 525iX, before being shown the B10 3.0 AllRad as he wanted more power. He then turned the page in the Alpina brochure and spent just over £70,000 in 1995 on the 4.6 Touring.

The price of your Alpina was relatively high in 1994, as a 540i Touring was c£40,000 and an M5 Touring c£55,000 so whomever ordered it was an genuine Alpina enthusiast with a strict 4wd requirement that would not be satisfied with the normal 525iX Touring. I'm not exactly sure of the 1994 UK list price of a B10 3.0 AllRad Touring but I have a March 1995 Sytner pricelist that gives a price of £45,000 for the saloon and £47,000 for the Touring. Your invoice suggests Sytner split the bill down into the cost of a 525iX Touring and then added the conversion costs onto that as well as a few extras here and there.

People on here love pictures so a few more of your very rare car would be appreciated. 

In case you were pondering stripes - a sister car of yours, number 43, is also Oxford Green but has the alpina front spoiler and the gold dekor stripes fitted...

8280-01.jpg

...and badges...

8280-02.jpg

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=8280&nmt=B10-3-0-Allrad-Touring-43

Edited by sharkfan

21 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

In case you were pondering stripes - a sister car of yours, number 43, is also Oxford Green but has the alpina front spoiler and the gold dekor stripes fitted...

8280-01.jpg

...and badges...

8280-02.jpg

Sharkfan, I'm with you on this! looks a treat !

Edited by siras

You might find you hear a few suggestions to keep it 'completely original' as I did when I got mine but imho there are two things to consider;

1. The car is now 26/27 years old and has not been seen before so who knows how it was first delivered wrt spoiler, stripes and badges, and

2. It's your car now so yours to do with as you like.

The only caveat I would add and suggest is that no Alpina has ever looked good with anything but the original Alpina badges (there are a LOT of tat badges on ebay), and no Alpina has ever looked good with the fake Alpina roundels in place of the BMW roundels on the bonnet and boot/tailgate. To my shame, I tried them but take my advice, save yourself a couple of quid and don't bother.

20 hours ago, siras said:

Hi Geoff,

Thank you so much, what parts do you have available?

I’m really beginning to love the car and looking forward to the pending restoration. I will send some pictures over for you so that you have a record for the Ix register,

pleasure to have met some great guys through this forum, sharkfan and yourself included,

regards 

Kev

Kev,

I will send you a PM with my phone number.  Cheers Geoff

Out of idle curiosity I had a look at the MOT history of this and note that the DVLA have it down as a 525i - as a question rather than doubting provenance -  is this usual? ie do DVLA recognise Alpina as a model in its own right or just the BMW base car?

7 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Out of idle curiosity I had a look at the MOT history of this and note that the DVLA have it down as a 525i - as a question rather than doubting provenance -  is this usual? ie do DVLA recognise Alpina as a model in its own right or just the BMW base car?

The car will have been first registered as a 525iX and then converted to an Alpina - the dates on the invoice show this, and it's probably common for a lot of Sytner conversions.

Buchloe cars should come in and be registered with their correct engine size and registered as an Alpina, Alpina BMW, or BMW Alpina - but as always with Alpina there are rules, and always , always exceptions to those rules.

On 30/12/2020 at 13:46, siras said:

ALPINA markings on the suspension

Does this mean the self levelling suspension has been ditched and your car has 'standard' albeit alpina spec shocks and springs? The invoice states self levelling and sports in the BMW factory section

I thought the same as Sharkfan with the 002 on the nameplate! The saloons were 94 m reg so maybe they were  B10 3.0 003 and 004? 

On 30/12/2020 at 22:25, sharkfan said:

8280-01.jpg

...and badges...

8280-02.jpg

After looking at these pictures its hard to argue against fitting the correct badges, spoiler and gold decal kit, after all  they were factory options when the car was new. I'd also swap the front comfort seats for a set of sport seats. Good luck!

Not my car and completely up to Siras the new owner but if it were my car and I was looking at a full respray anyway I would be sorely tempted to change the colour to Alpina Green with gold dekor stripes and badges, like B10 3.0 Touring #50...

1590-01.jpg

5 hours ago, Dongiov said:

Yes I spotted the comforts but good luck finding a pair of beige sports seats. Ultra rare. 

There were a lot of e32 with beige interiors so he might get lucky, retrim or dye is another option. 

On 31/12/2020 at 13:47, sharkfan said:

Buchloe cars should come in and be registered with their correct engine size and registered as an Alpina, Alpina BMW, or BMW Alpina - but as always with Alpina there are rules, and always , always exceptions to those rules.

they don't.