Reidy_r11

Used F10 - M sport - high or low mileage??

Hi guys first time poster here!

i’m looking to get myself into a used F10 or F11. My preference would be the M sport version not really fussed as long as it’s a 520D or up

My dilemma is that I have a two-year-old Skoda Superb which I have bought brand-new. Low mileage and still on the warranty etc,  but always  really wanted an F10/F11

Has anyone bought one with high mileage? Would you recommend this? Am I being crazy trading in a new a car with a warranty for something that’s maybe 5/6 years old and has 50k or 70k miles on the clock?!

This will be used as a daily driver, mainly rural roads and ferrying the wife and daughter around. Don’t really commute into city. 

I would want to spend around sub £20,000 mark. What should I look out for aside for good service history?

12 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Sounds like a backward step in my humble opinion. Enjoy the 2 year old Skoda with its warranty and wait until you can get into a BMW G30/31.

That’s what one side of my head says !

Superb's are generally well equipped (especially if you have the L&K model) including the umbrella in the door. This would just bring another factor to consider in that you'll have to find a F10/F11 with a good level of equipment to match the Superb. 

I have a F10 and have a family member who has a year old Superb and to be honest it would be nit picking. If i was to choose one thing that stands out to be different for me it would be the sound insulation in the cabin. In that the F10 is difinetly quieter inside, even in a M Sport running on RFTs.

4 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I love the Superb, why are you looking to swap?

Really just out of the shear desire to have a 5 series. I the father in laws well equipped 530d for a few weeks a while ago. Sadly he’s now wrote it off. 

Edited by Reidy_r11

1 hour ago, BarraBoy said:

Superb's are generally well equipped (especially if you have the L&K model) including the umbrella in the door. This would just bring another factor to consider in that you'll have to find a F10/F11 with a good level of equipment to match the Superb. 

I have a F10 and have a family member who has a year old Superb and to be honest it would be nit picking. If i was to choose one thing that stands out to be different for me it would be the sound insulation in the cabin. In that the F10 is difinetly quieter inside, even in a M Sport running on RFTs.

Yeah that’s were it gets a little tricky. Trying to find one for the budget that has the spec of the Superb. 

Its the sportsline model and is fairly loaded with kit. Adaptive cruise would be real sacrifice , apple car play...and the fact I can put my rear seats down!!

33 minutes ago, Reidy_r11 said:

..and the fact I can put my rear seats down!!

That's a luxury I don't have....the only car  I've owned that doesn't have this feature!!!!

Just a note having had the F10 I soon became warey how the nice things to have are all on the options list. You can apparently spec £20k+ on these cars, those are the unicorns to look out for.  Hence, take note when those selling these cars tell you that their car is well spec'd.

If you're going to expect lumbar support adjustment? Yes, that too is on the options list. 

On 24/12/2020 at 12:56, Reidy_r11 said:

Hi guys first time poster here!

i’m looking to get myself into a used F10 or F11. My preference would be the M sport version not really fussed as long as it’s a 520D or up

My dilemma is that I have a two-year-old Skoda Superb which I have bought brand-new. Low mileage and still on the warranty etc,  but always  really wanted an F10/F11

Has anyone bought one with high mileage? Would you recommend this? Am I being crazy trading in a new a car with a warranty for something that’s maybe 5/6 years old and has 50k or 70k miles on the clock?!

This will be used as a daily driver, mainly rural roads and ferrying the wife and daughter around. Don’t really commute into city. 

I would want to spend around sub £20,000 mark. What should I look out for aside for good service history?

My old F11 has popped up here https://www.fow.co.uk/used/cars/bmw-5-series-diesel-touring-535d-m-sport-5dr-step-auto-00308296 43,000 miles and more extras than the seller has listed ... slightly over your budget but in great condition apart from slightly noisy OSR bearing 

Note: it has ZNO Professional Plus Media Package (rather than just HUD) and 3AC fully electric tow bar which they seem to have missed completely !)

Edited by SJL

On 24/12/2020 at 13:39, Matthew Ashton said:

Sounds like a backward step in my humble opinion. Enjoy the 2 year old Skoda with its warranty and wait until you can get into a BMW G30/31.

Agreed.

On 12/25/2020 at 9:37 PM, SJL said:

My old F11 has popped up here https://www.fow.co.uk/used/cars/bmw-5-series-diesel-touring-535d-m-sport-5dr-step-auto-00308296 43,000 miles and more extras than the seller has listed ... slightly over your budget but in great condition apart from slightly noisy OSR bearing 

Note: it has ZNO Professional Plus Media Package (rather than just HUD) and 3AC fully electric tow bar which they seem to have missed completely !)

Nice car! Rare to see a 535d! I guess we’ll spec’d one of those is definitely worth a look. 

bearing just needing replaced then?

3 minutes ago, Reidy_r11 said:

Nice car! Rare to see a 535d! I guess we’ll spec’d one of those is definitely worth a look. 

bearing just needing replaced then?

Ultimately yes ... noted on the MoT to keep an eye on it but not urgent. Think a few others have had this issue over the last few years.

As a 535d MSport it had a pretty high standard spec with £5,700 of extras on top ... the twin turbos in the 535d was a significant improvement over the 530d I had previously which had the same engine with a single turbo .....

On 12/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, goram said:

Not sure about the love for the Superb, to me it’s one ugly mother!

You can always keep a man size brolly in the boot of your F10/11 ;)

Each to their own. I agree in part, need to move up the trim level or it just looks and feels like a big private hire taxi. 

ive not even used the brollys in the door cards. Definitely wouldn’t miss them. 

As above it's subjective, which is just as well or I'd still be single. 

I like them and ran 7 Octavia DSGs for work up until last year (lowest had c120k on) and I must say other than a couple of issues they were damned reliable.

I think a lot of it is badge snobbery and hence I've swapped them for KIA Ceed autos, another great marque ime and even better vfm for a fully loaded estate. 

There’s snobbery all round. I was told recently that the only reason I drive a Beemer is to impress people. FFS I love cars and couldn’t car less what people think.

I’ve driven Alfas on and off most of my life. Ironically, I fell into Beemer ownership having very nearly traded my 159SW in for an Octavia VRS. I had my head turned at the last minute by a 335i Touring and a clever, charming Irish sales guy! :)

I had an L&k superb. Also at 2 years old. Absolutely fantastic car,really fantastic. As a car you can't fault them,you really can't. But,I never really enjoyed owning it if that makes sense. It was just a method of getting around. 

I'm now in an F10 that's done nearly 5 times the mileage and has cost me a lot in ongoing (albeit preventative) maintenance. Wouldn't swap back though so make of that what you will. 

1 hour ago, deano16v said:

I had an L&k superb. Also at 2 years old. Absolutely fantastic car,really fantastic. As a car you can't fault them,you really can't. But,I never really enjoyed owning it if that makes sense. It was just a method of getting around. 

I'm now in an F10 that's done nearly 5 times the mileage and has cost me a lot in ongoing (albeit preventative) maintenance. Wouldn't swap back though so make of that what you will. 

That in some way sums up how I’m feeling!