Ordnator

E28 M5 number 172 of 187 RHD

Is this Jamie's old track M5?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1275394

Some sharp pictures of what looks like a quality restoration :cool:

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 1 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 2 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 3 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 4 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 5 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 6 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 8 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 9 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 10 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 11 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 12 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 13 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 14 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 15 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 16 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 17 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 19 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 20 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 22 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 23 of 24)

1987 BMW E28 M5 For Sale (picture 24 of 24)

I would wax that 

Now where did I put my Christmas wish list...

GLWS

Stay safe and Christmas best wishes,

Mick

At 200k miles it is nearing the time for a second timing chain and guide set... which is where the biggest problem lies. AFAIK one or some of the key components for the change (one of the guides in particular) has been NLA for years with certainly some of the engine builds put on an indefinite hold until BMW Classic get off there arse and get them re-made.

I believe that's been done as part of its restore and refresh so ready to go.

If i recall it was never done which was why it was parked up by Jamie and he stopped tracking it.

"the current owner has completed an extensive refurbishment program to include a full respray, mechanical and suspension/brakes refurbishment and works to the engine to include a new timing chain and tension puller."

On 23/12/2020 at 20:18, duncan-uk said:

I believe it is. Some work gone into that to bring it back as I think it was due some engine work and interior needed sourcing. 

Goes well though

068BE776-E579-4368-8935-76D557F72CCA.jpeg

Ha Ha, I remember that photo being taken, there is still video footage of it at Marham on YouTube, happy days

Hi Duncan, yes all good, missing the shows etc.

I have resigned myself to no more track days, nothing else even comes close to 172.

What I thought I should do, seeing as I owned 172 for so long both as a show car and latterly a track car, was do a little write up on her and the e28 M5's general appeal, so here we go:

I have spoken to the guy selling 172, it has had extensive engine work, he is trying to obtain copies of invoices as the guy that restored it sadly passed away, and all paper work with him.

Before I owned the car, back in 1994 the previous owner tasked "Auto Technic" to investigate non - starting, he ended up with a bill for £3500 back then for chain, bent valves etc etc, it had covered 108300 miles. I note the mileage to be as I sold it (sold as non runner due to cam chain noise on start up). It had not jumped teeth on the sprockets this time.

The body work and interior looks amazing, it was originally Pacific Blue Cloth, but I think the leather is a massive improvement.

Would I have it back? in a heartbeat, actually I nearly did and as I was only around £54950.00 short of the asking price but nearly struck a deal to part with my e12 M535 and my e3 to get it back, but finally saw sense and realised that 172 excelled on track and it's now way too good for that, and for me on the road ......... bye bye license................AGAIN!!

No, somebody else needs to own  E917 NCR, I purchased it 19 years ago £7500 and sold it 5 years ago as a non runner for £7500, ah just £47495.00 worth short of what it is worth today:rolleyes:. The restoration would have been fortunes, I would have needed to start by finding:

• 16 inch BBS wheels e28 M5  specific.
  • Electric interior
  • Complete Aircon kit
  • Boot carpet specific for boot mounted battery

To name just a few hard to find expensive items, sadly at the time, an e28 M5 was rare but not worth that much and consequently I had sold all of the above for what now is peanuts and due to lack of storage space.

172 now looks superb, the current owner has another 12 rarer BMW classics in his collection, including E24 M535CSI, two E12 B7 Alpinas, E12 M535is, E28 Alpina B9 etc etc.

Some of you may remember that for a year or so I also owned another E28 M5 at the same time as 172,  one previous owner Nr 165 covered 190000 miles and had not had the timing chain and associated works carried out, the oil had been changed every 4000 miles throughout it's life, begging the question is it really "Fact" that the chain must be done every 100,000 miles?? I think the answer is that it really depends on how well it has been looked after, needless to say I parted with around £4500 and had the work done. 172 spent the last 8 years of it's ownership with me, on track and rarely below 4000 RPM, but the oil and filter was changed after every outing, these outings included Bedford, Snetterton, Goodwood , Abberville in France and The Nuremberg ring and it never missed a beat. Like I said happy days

My summary and for what my opinion worth, if you love e28's and you have never driven an e28 M5, you need to, the power delivery is what can only be described as savage, particularly in the lower gears, but beware on the road they are an accident waiting to happen in the wrong hands or conditions, let the revs climb too much and touch the throttle too soon on a greasy surface and you will end up with more than a little fight on your hands leading to some very nervous passengers, the same can be said for changing down too enthusiastically, it will lock the rear wheels and leave you facing on coming traffic :shock: On the other hand at low revs, it will pull from 1000 rpm in any gear, you could be driving a nice low mileage mild mannered 520i, such is the appeal of an e28 M5 they really were a wolf in sheep's clothing and I count myself as very fortunate to have owned them both in more affordable times.

Edited by JAM172

Nice write up Ja,  knowing the history of 172 and what it needed to bring it back to a road car i think it actually represents decent value and the work can't have been cheap so i don't think you can feel too short changed. Plenty of my back catalogue would fetch good money if i still had them but that's life.

You make me laugh with the comments - I'm thinking of Conan and his car, seeing you pirouette in front of me at a soggy Bedford and the licence was in the 318is if i recall - happy days - we did have some fun track days.

Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all - i miss my e28 but i think its best in the memory now B)

Hopefully we can catch up at a show before too long!

You are right Duncan, didn't want to name Conan, but you have now :rolleyes: I actually locked the rear wheels in the dry, changing down coming into a left hander on track with Splondike co-piloting, I saw him twitch a bit :D

I remember the soggy Bedford incident well, just touched the throttle and spun 360 degrees onto the grass:oops:

When all this COVID 19 situation is under control, I think we should pick a show as a FORUM5 reunion?

Edited by JAM172

39 minutes ago, JAM172 said:

I actually locked the rear wheels in the dry, changing down coming into a left hander on track

Like an old Nissan Cabstar my dad had which would do the same i'm told *kof*...

39 minutes ago, JAM172 said:

When all this COVID 19 situation is under control, I think we should pick a show as a FORUM5 reunion?

I'm in.

beds4.jpgIMG_7364a.jpg

Great write up Jam, I have the identical chassis and engine but in M635CSi form, and even above the gorgeous styling of the E24 the engine is the thing that stands out - it really is a jewel. A major domestic financial dip nearly made me put it up for sale about 4 years ago - I had the advert written - but luckily we pulled through and I have kept hold of it. 

I bought my M6 in about 2004 for £6,600 pounds at 100k miles which was about right for then as sheds were £2,500 and low mileage minters (c60k miles) were £10-12k - now they're bonkers money and mine, after a complete strip down and full respray a few years ago, is on an agreed insurance of £45k which I'm starting to feel is a little on the low side. There have  been a few cars sold in the last two or three years that are no where near as good mechanically or cosmetically and have been in the high twenties or mid-thirties and as you've said, it takes significant investment now to make them perfect.

Mine is now, and has been for about seven years since its resoration, a garage queen; the coachwork is rust and blemish free and as smooth as polished glass - the mechanics are superb, the electrics and everything else including the AC works perfectly and it drives beautifully - like almost new. I can't see myself ever getting rid of it for two simple reasons - the beautiful looks of a chrome bumpered E24 and the wonderfully addictive howl of the M88/3.

Always grateful to Ja for letting me drive 172 at Marham, an epic machine indeed.  Capped an awesome weekend hosted by the RAF lol  Off the clock down the straight, and the noise !  :)   Surreal moment overtaking my own M535i as well haha.  Let's hope she goes to a good home :)

That was a great weekend - beers in the mess, tour of a tornado after hours and breakfast for about 90p! All before a great day of track action.

The runway straight is mad, so wide that the sense of speed is distorted and long enough to vmax if brave enough!