Pissant

EGR removal.

Good afternoon gents,

I was just wondering if I can completely remove the EGR system on my 530d, Im waiting to get a re-map, and will ask for the egr to be disabled, But wondering if its worth/possible  removing it completely .

cheers,

Dave

On my 2005 530d i just disconnected the vacum pipe that connects to the EGR valve and plugged it with a screw and as you plan to do, got the EGR coded out along with the any warning lights. All the pipework remains in place to this day.

Having said that, on my 740d  i initially got it coded out but around a year later bought a blanking kit and ripped out all of the pipe work. With it gone it does leave easy access to the water pump etc for any future issues that may, sorry will arise ;-)

2 hours ago, JasonH said:

If the MOT inspector spots it has been removed I think it's an MOT fail.

It is indeed thats what I was told, I’d rather remove the vaccum and block it off. Then easy to refit for MOT

4 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

The first one has the egr thermostat removal blanking plugs.

That's the only difference. 

2 hours ago, J.Sayer said:

It is indeed thats what I was told, I’d rather remove the vaccum and block it off. Then easy to refit for MOT

They can't tell it's been removed / blanked by the emissions test & there not allowed to remove 

engine covers ect. So can't see the removal kit / blanking plates, just make sure you leave the egr

cooler in place so it looks complete. 

11 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

They can't tell it's been removed / blanked by the emissions test & there not allowed to remove 

engine covers ect. So can't see the removal kit / blanking plates, just make sure you leave the egr

cooler in place so it looks complete. 

Yeah thats what I was thinking of, I looked at a blanking kit that removed the cooler before so they’d notice that.

I’m going to try the screw in vacuum method before I consider removing it to see if the difference is noticable, I can live with an engine management light :lol:

Thanks for the reply gents, I would rather remove it if I can, like to do away with the bloody thermostat thats in there. as for the MOT issue, I used to be a tester, and still use the garage i used to work at, so me and the testers are very friendly !. I have the stuff to service my gearbox, so ill have a look to see which egr set up I have, haven't heard of an anti shudder valve before.

Did anyone notice any difference in performance/mpg/ drivability after you had removed it ?

thanks again everyone,

Dave

Dave,

You can remove the egr stat & leave the cooler stuff in place if your bothered. 

I have yet to do it on this car but on my last car, smoother runing & better mpg's + more power

with the dpf, cat & egr gone.

I've done this quite a few time's always with good result's (hence my forum name)

The only tiny downside to ditching the egr is slightly longer warm up times in cold weather. 

9 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Dave,

You can remove the egr stat & leave the cooler stuff in place if your bothered. 

I have yet to do it on this car but on my last car, smoother runing & better mpg's + more power

with the dpf, cat & egr gone.

I've done this quite a few time's always with good result's (hence my forum name)

The only tiny downside to ditching the egr is slightly longer warm up times in cold weather. 

Well thats me sold then. .. 

thanks again everyone, and I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

Dave

complete bank and thermostat as well ,warning light on for a few months , now it comes on when ignition is on but when started goes out as normal no eml light runs ok no improvement noticed sae as when all was on, what i would like to know is why eml light has gone out when started, thought i had to get it mapped out

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Is there anyway of just mapping egr out without a remap.

Yes, any reputable mapper can do this for you, it's a free job if done while re-mapping but chargeable if done on it's own.