Sign in to follow this  
DarkHorse

Speeding: 3 points +£100 or attend an awareness course +£100?

Mobile taxation wagon snapped me at 85mph on a straight dual carridgeway with 3 miles of good visible open road... regardless 85 > 70 nicked! Not had a ticket since an SP30 in 2002.

Do I take 3 points +£100 for speeding or attend an awareness course and still pay ~£100 in COVID conditions?

I am inclined to simply take 3 points and not risk possible infection and not loose any time off work etc.

How would awareness course sheduling likely be effected by Tier 2 legislation?

3 points means it's on your licence for 3 years and you have to declare it to your insurance for 5 years and probably pay a higher premiums.

Speed awareness farce of a course means you keep a clean licence. I'm not sure if they have become and online course at the moment.

It's a personal choice. Keep your licence clean or pay up for points and suck it up for 3 to 5 years!

1 minute ago, 97suited said:

IME courses are being run online and instead of 4 hours in-person it's 2.5 hours online. I'd choose the course every time.

^^^

This; my pal got stung 6 weeks ago; he's just done the course online

Go for that; makes the most sense

Thanks, yes you have changed my mind, a few hours online would be preferable to carrying 3 points for a few years ;).

As above I’d be inclined to take an on line course but be aware some insurers do ask the question on prosecutions Which  includes SACs to which of course you would have to say yes as I discovered when my wife did one. 

Insurance, now there's another legalised racket.

I've now booked an online 2hr 45min (via zoom) Speed Awareness Course, which cost a couple of quid more so I could get a Sunday morning slot for £88 in early January. Safer and more convenient, thanks for all the advice ;).

Complete no brainer - take the course - they are online these days, the Mrs has just done one, and it was cheaper than the points & fine option and no nasty insurance questions to answer either.

Yep, next week ;).

Most don't but Admiral Insurance requires declaration at renewal. Mines a multicar policy.

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/car-insurance/what-do-i-tell-my-insurer

Things you need to tell your insurer at renewal (Admiral)

Some things can wait until it's time to renew your policy. 

1. Penalty points 

If you or any named drivers receive a fixed penalty, motoring conviction or are disqualified during your policy term you must tell your insurer at renewal, using the DVLA conviction code. You must also declare attending any driver awareness courses. You don't need to mention parking fines.

2. ...