sams255

Thinking about ditching Run Flats

How many people on here have got rid of run flats ?, I feel that I'm forever changing tyres/ they wear down faster and I'm careful drive and also when I work on sites etc if I get a screw in them etc they are un repairable and need replacing. 

I changed the original fitment Bridgestone runflats to Michelin Primacy non runflats, like you said I found the runflats wear out a lot quicker especially on the rear, I did have to purchase a few bits in case of a puncture,  jack, portable compressor, sealey temporary tyre plug kit, and  holts tyre sealant which can be washed out for a permanent repair, so hopefully I have covered myself should I ever get a puncture, because in BMW's ill wisdom they did not include a space for a spare of any kind in the F11, which is plain daft and stupid on their behalf along with all the other manufacturers that do the same, it would be so bad if you had space for a skinny spare tyre but no!

Since changing my car insurance recently I was pleasantly surprised it looks like the cover includes roadside punctures  so that's a bonus.

Changed the run flats as soon as I got the car 5yrs and 135,000 miles ago. 

Currently on Bridgestone non-run flats for the summer tires.

Winters are still Dunlop run flats as I got a cracking deal on them 2 yrs ago

Ditched the Dunlop’s for Michelin’s non run flats and the ride is definitely better.

i got fed up with bulges on the run flats which is why I changed. As a back up, I bought a scabby spare wheel which I keep in the garage. If I get stranded I’ll get a lift back from green flag.

I used to have 18" summers and changed to none run flats about 5 or 6 years ago to Michellin. I also had 17" run flat winters at that time.

Now I just run the 17"'s with Michelin Cross Climate none rft's. Wouldn't go back to rft's at all - not enough give in the side wall and I don't have damper control to soften up the suspension.

Not had a puncture in all that time and if I do and the tyre gunk/inflator doesn't work I'll get recovered.

12 hours ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

First thing I did was change to cross climates.  Ride is transformed and now done 30k on them and still plenty of tread last time I checked.

Same with me... been on this set of CC+ almost 3 years now and still loving them. 

With the M Sport suspension the F11 has being ex-plod there's still plenty of 'feel', but the CC+ make it massively better than the original police rfts it came with.

I also ditched run flats, for all the reason everyone said before me. I also found them to be scary on ice as the car somehow just slid in to every single imperfection on road. Been on none runflats for 2 years and would never go back. 

One of my colleagues got the new x4 and his came without runflats where his previous shape x4 was on runflats. Maybe bmw changing their mind about them too.

Another vote for non RFT Michelin Crossclimates from me. I had already fitted the Crossclimates on the wheels the car came with after the Kumhos fitted by the previous owner started to crack on the sidewalls at less than 2 years old. I bought a set of wheels to use through the winter which had an elderly set of Dunlop winter run flats fitted. Out of curiosity I put them on the car to test and did maybe 300 miles driving on them. They were horrible and ruined the feel of the car when compared to the Crossclimates. I won't be fitting any more RFTs.

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

As I still have meat on 2 of the 4 tyres it's possible to change one axel.with non run flats ? Would it affect suspension?

I did exactly that the rear Bridgestone run flats tyres were replaced first as they wore out quick, originally the tyre shop fitted the new Michelin Primacy non runflats to the rear, but I thought the rear end did not seem to handle that well the difference was only small, but I moved the new tyres to the front, and the old Bridgestone run flats to the rear, they were only there for about 11 months  due to a piece of metal in the road that damaged one rear tyre, so they were changed to Michelin Primacy non run flats, in that 11months I can't say I noticed much difference, but when I had non run flats all round it was a lot quieter ride and far better grip in the wet or dry conditions, and not as twitchy ever,  as others have said I would not go back to runflats, even though they do have some convenience benefit if you get a puncture.

Just make sure they are fitted on the same axle.

Edited by Oilburner