BSS

E39 M5 touring build

There are no words to describe the pure awesomeness of this project. Kudos kudos kudos.

And when you're ready to sell, let me know.

51322376141_bc68e05b56_b.jpg

Starting to work through the snag list and quite an important one with the weather we are having at the moment is the AC or lack of.  When it was in use and before the 540i was pulled apart the AC was working fine so despite my usual modus operandi of replacing everything with new, the condenser was left to be reused but a new receiver drier was fitted after the system was exposed to atmosphere during the conversion.
The moment the AC machine was attached to the car it was apparent there was a leak from the condenser so new one was ordered up last week and it became apparent when the old one was removed that it was clearly past its best! With that fitted up the system gassed up its now blowing ice cold as it should be.

51321974886_d27c180ea1_b.jpg

A lucky forum find was a pair of genuine BMW accessory E39 touring specific roof rails.

51322176043_2dfbca32cc_b.jpg

Another lucky find on ebay was a set of four genuine BMW accessory bike racks which were attached to a pair of E39/E46 saloon roof rails which I swapped over to the touring rails.

51322176178_f0e568c548_b.jpg

All in aid of pressing the wagon into family use!

13 minutes ago, Piper said:

There are no words to describe the pure awesomeness of this project. Kudos kudos kudos.

And when you're ready to sell, let me know.

Thanks!  Your ground work helped massively with the project.

Many people have asked if I would sell it and as I say to everyone, it would take a silly offer for me to move it on as what it has cost to build, you could buy a nice E39 M5 saloon.

On 21/07/2021 at 23:12, BSS said:

Thanks!  Your ground work helped massively with the project.

Many people have asked if I would sell it and as I say to everyone, it would take a silly offer for me to move it on as what it has cost to build, you could buy a nice E39 M5 saloon.

Glad to be a part of the history of the car :)

Was chuffed the sill corrosion wasn't too bad.

Edited by Piper

With the dead line to get the car on the road in time for the E39 M5 meet there were a few a few things that I left to address later that wouldn't stop me using the car but needed sorting.  To get the engine up and running I used the donor M5's EWS immobiliser module, ignition barrel and key to work with the M5 DME (engine ECU) which allowed it to fire up straight away.  Obviously this isn't ideal having two different keys and using the M5 EWS with its VIN and VO (Vehicle order, list of options fitted to the car) stored when its a 540i..... more on that in future.

51335556390_2a71d45fe6_b.jpg

Using the excellent binary modification tool from www.ecuworx.co.uk meant I could switch off the EWS input on the M5's DME so I could switch back to the 540i's EWS, ignition barrel meaning all working off the original 540i key.

While using the tool I also removed the 155mph speed limiter, switched off the post cat O2 sensors for now (as mine has no cats) and switched off the Secondary Air Pump meaning quieter cold starts.

51334556326_5efbe7a89a_b.jpg[/url]

The modified BIN file being flashed onto the DME using MSS flasher.

All working off one key now, no post cat O2 sensor faults and hopefully less annoyed neighbours when setting off for early Sunday morning hoons.

51292342778_11d000061c_b.jpg

Going back to a previous picture I posted of the M5 cluster, it was not happy!  Lots of dead pixels meant the mileage and check control messaged were unreadable, the fuel and temp gauges under read, the rev counter was inaccurate plus the ABS/DSC lights didn't work.  Something was seriously amiss inside that cluster.

51366355660_d419d2cef5_b.jpg

51365343946_7d4700c1b7_b.jpg

After recommendation by a few people on one of the E39 FB pages and a chat with the man himself, I sent the cluster to Keith at AK speedo to see what was up with it and upon taking it apart it was clear what the issue was.  Various parts of the circuit board and motors had corrosion, some of the worst he had seen.  Who knows how this cluster ended up like this but needless to say it was not saveable.
With it being an early black face M5 cluster instead of the later grey face one it would be a shame to bin it as they are hard to find now and quite sought after.  Keith came up with a solution and it meant finding a donor cluster with a suitable SW and HW number so a call to a BMW breaker I know turned up a cluster from a 2003 530d which met the requirements so that was sent up to Keith to cannibalise for the relevant parts to make up a fully working black face M5 cluster.

51364587807_e4cf8b9248_b.jpg

With the cluster now fully functional with no dead pixels the next thing to do was program it with the 540i VIN number and milage so everything tallied up with the cars physical VIN number rather than have mismatched VIN's in the cars control units and the incorrect mileage for the car (not the engine) stored.

51370661654_db0a1441fa_b.jpg

Fitted back into the car and coded up with the cars VO matched to the EWS's VO so everything is now matched and working correctly with no tamper dot, mismatched VIN's, VO's or milages.

Hi B,

Glad you went with Keith at AK Speedo as I along with others recommended him !

That's also good to hear about being able to use a 530d Cluster and modify/cannabalise it to work as an M5 cluster with specific parts from a genuine M5 one. I'm in a similar situation, I have two of the rare black face clusters here, one fully working as per Keith's checkover and one that isn't. At the time, I guess this option to use the 530d cluster to 'repair' the M5 one wasn't around, but now it is, I'll perhaps have Keith do the same :)

Cheers, Dennis.