vladandrei51

530d mid resonator(?) delete?

Hello,

I have a 530d, exhaust wise I have the dpf and back silencer box deleted and also upgraded to 90mm tips because I hated the stock ones :). The sound from outside of the car is pretty good although inside it sounds pretty much stock. I would like a little bit more sound and a little bit more "bass" if that makes sense.

I was wondering whether deleting that middle thingy in the catback which I assume is the resonator would make any difference? Couldn't find anything about it online. Basically to go straight pipe catback.

Or, would it make sense to leave the stock downpipe with a DPF delete and go for a 3" (or basically the biggest it fits in there) catback? It doesn't sound right in my head because the air flow would be 2.5" regardless

And to address potential future questions: I don't want to go straigthpipe because I fear I will smoke like crazy without the cat and also it's not the best time in my life right now to throw money away for a 3" full exhaust either. Trust me, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Thanks guys ^_^ stay safe

Edited by vladandrei51

What year is yours? The box in the middle of mine is the dpf and the box directly behind the turbo is the cat. The silencer is the box at the very back just before the tips.

8 hours ago, DOG said:

What year is yours? The box in the middle of mine is the dpf and the box directly behind the turbo is the cat. The silencer is the box at the very back just before the tips.

2009. Pretty sure the dpf and the cat are in the downpipe

7 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

The middle silencer is a straight through one from stock.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean here.

Also, would it be possible for an exhaust shop to put in a custom 3" turbo back and leave the stock cat in place?

Edited by vladandrei51

The middle silencer, if you cut it out & looked through it is straight through. 

A perforated tube with wadding wrapped around it.

Yes you could have a 3" straight through from the cat back.

But why?

Lose the dpf & the cat.

If your bothered about the environment, sell the dirty polluting diesel & buy a e.v ;)

Are you serious? Then what's the point of it? Jesus christ.

Also, I'm not interested in the environment per se, dpf is already out to milk all the benefits of that juicy stage 1, but couple of reputable tuners told me that, besides sound, I ain't getting anything from removing the cat performance wise, and Im not sure I want any additional smoke

57 minutes ago, vladandrei51 said:

Also, I'm not interested in the environment per se, dpf is already out to milk all the benefits of that juicy stage 1, but couple of reputable tuners told me that, besides sound, I ain't getting anything from removing the cat performance wise, and Im not sure I want any additional smoke

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the first line.

Yes your oe original middle silencer is straight through (it's basically a resonator)

It's the rear box that's a baffled silencer. 

DPF is for smoke/soot control, cat is for toxic gases & pollutants 

A good mapper will give you more power with dpf & cat gutted but no smoke 

It's all about the mapping.

If your after more noise, just put a 4"+ exhaust on from the cat back.

The bigger the exhaust diameter the more boomy & bassy it get's.

Not my thing but each to their own. 

On 18/12/2020 at 22:29, vladandrei51 said:

I had a full custom pipe on my 530d..

Darkside cat delete pipe made all the difference to sound. Tiny silencer on back box. Who ever told you removing the cat does nothing is wrong.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:36 AM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

If your after more noise, just put a 4"+ exhaust on from the cat back.

The bigger the exhaust diameter the more boomy & bassy it get's.

Not my thing but each to their own. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well, currently researching if it makes sense to have a stock diameter DP going into a larger catback

Mine smokes with dpf and cat fitted, if I removed em I’d definately be rolling coal everywhere :unsure:

where do you stand with the mot having no dpf or cat?

As I already said, the cat makes no difference to smoke/soot it's there for poisonous gasses

If your car smokes & has the dpf in place it's most likely been tampered with.

The mot is currently just a visual check (for fittment) & a smoke test.

A good map/mapper can give you a dpf free car with nearly zero smoke.

The biggest thing about gutting/removing the cat in my experience is it smells like a 1970's bus :roll: