Cadwell Parker

F11 water ingress - No, not the usual

Just when I'd been thinking how I'd got a good example of an F11 and so far avoided all the usual problems to which these cars are prone... Rummaging through the boot of my car today I failed to find the thing I was looking for but found something I didn't want to find in the storage compartment behind the right hand wheel arch.

20201216-134218.jpg

Not a huge amount of water thankfully, it's been pretty wet lately so maybe this is just the start of something I can nip in the bud. The car doesn't have a sunroof and I'm pretty sure it's not getting in via the tailgate. The battery compartment is dry. It seems to be coming through the gap where the wiring passes through from the rear of the fusebox.

20201216-134227.jpg

The padding on the edge of the metal panel is soaked and I think the water is running from here, along the wiring and dripping down into the storage compartment

20201216-134445.jpg

I can't see any sign of water running onto that padding from behind and the bottom of the fuse box is free of any drips or moisture. Maybe I need to unscrew and move the fusebox to one side to give a better view of what's going on.

I've had a search around on here for similar issues and found one other post relating to an F11 but there was no mention of a cause or solution being found.

The seal around the fuel filler was mentioned as was a membrane in front of the rear wheel arch. I've had a look at the seal on the filler. It looks ok as far as I can see and the drain hole doesn't seem to be blocked. There's been heavy rain here today. The car has been sitting out in it all day so if the drain was blocked I'd expect to see lots of water pooling there by now. As far as the membrane idea goes, I'd expect to see a lot more moisture behind the padding if it was working its way back from the wheel arch.

I'd welcome any insights anyone can offer. Otherwise I'll update here later once I find out what's what.

My hunch and based on the other thread and a similar boot issue with phantom water leaking is the boot vent that big bit of black plastic.

On a previous car one of them had cracked and let water in. Generally they are a pain to get to and replace being hidden away.

I am not sure of an exact number but Google brings up 64229122453. 

15 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

I am not sure of an exact number but Google brings up 64229122453

64226962293 on the F10 and F11. Same part number left and right.

I'll have a closer look at the vent. I did pull the cover off and have a quick look but it all looked dry and as the soaked padding under the fuse box wiring is above the vent I'd be surprised it that's the culprit. 

I know you said the fuel filler drain hole appears to be clear, have you trickled water around the drain hole to make sure its clear, because being its diesel car they do blocked especially if you occasionally overfill the tank or the diesel blows back whilst filling, since my own fuel filler drain has blocked I keep a check on it every time I wash the car, although my fuel filler drain may not have been blocked for very long, I did not notice any water ingress, and after seeing your F11 letting in water by the rear fuse panel I checked my own, and the felt it is totally dry and the plastic box is also dry.

How I originally cleared the filler drain hole I just used the garden hose set to a water jet aimed at the drain hole once water started to drain away from the drain, I tipped some hot soapy water down the drain just to make sure I had cleaned any remains of diesel out of the drain pipe.

On 16/12/2020 at 18:08, Ninja59 said:

My hunch and based on the other thread and a similar boot issue with phantom water leaking is the boot vent that big bit of black plastic.

On a previous car one of them had cracked and let water in. Generally they are a pain to get to and replace being hidden away.

I am not sure of an exact number but Google brings up 64229122453

My E61 had this issue; flooded the boot floor and had to replace the relays for the rear air suspension. Thankfully the controls and modules for the PDC etc were ok. 

11 hours ago, 7day said:

I’m sorry I don’t know where the filler drain pipe is sited..any chance of a photo,please 

Just below the fuel filler neck there is a small drain hole in the rubber around the neck.

I had a word about this with a local mechanic who sees a few BMWs. He suspects water is gathering in the space under the spoiler at the top of the tailgate and finding its way down along the wiring which runs from there and emerges from under the fusebox. Just waiting for the weather to dry up a little before investigating further.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, Oilburner said:

have you trickled water around the drain hole to make sure its clear,

Just double checked it now. I sprayed enough APC around the drain hole to make a pool. It drained down immediately so I flushed it through with a jug of cold water which ran straight through and out underneath the car so that seems to be ok.

6 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Just double checked it now. I sprayed enough APC around the drain hole to make a pool. It drained down immediately so I flushed it through with a jug of cold water which ran straight through and out underneath the car so that seems to be ok.

Well at least you now know that's not the problem area, your local mechanic may well be right because when I fitted a front and rear dash cam a lot of wiring comes down from the tailgate on that side and goes to the fuses, you should be able to see if there is any water ingress, by removing the plastic trim on the tailgate on the hinge that side, if it looks dry I would crumple up a bit of paper towel and place it around the wiring and fill the space, then recheck after it rains again, at least you will know one way or the other, keep us all updated with what you find good luck.

3 hours ago, Oilburner said:

keep us all updated with what you find good

I will, thanks.

3 hours ago, Oilburner said:

removing the plastic trim on the tailgate on the hinge

I was looking at removing some trim to get a better look once the weather clears up. Am I right in thinking I'd need to remove the two torx screws on the side of the hinge trim to get it loose? I was wary of taking them out as they looked a bit more heavy duty than trim fasteners. Shame NewTis is no longer accessible :(

2 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I will, thanks.

I was looking at removing some trim to get a better look once the weather clears up. Am I right in thinking I'd need to remove the two torx screws on the side of the hinge trim to get it loose? I was wary of taking them out as they looked a bit more heavy duty than trim fasteners. Shame NewTis is no longer accessible :(

Yes that's correct they are the two screws you remove.

Edited by Oilburner

Just to update on this, sorry to say still no further forward.

Soon after my previous post , following @Oilburners suggestion I removed the plastic hinge covers on the right hand side of the tailgate and packed some paper towels inside the covers in the hope that any water finding its way along the wiring would soak into them and point towards the direction of the leak. Here you can see the two hinges for the window hatch and main tailgate, covers removed with bone dry paper towels inside. No sign of any moisture there.

20210222-145133.jpg

Also looking closer into the recess it seems the garage who had suggested the water was running down the wiring leading from the tailgate hinges down into the rear quarter behind the fuses were mistaken. Both hinges have wiring on them but it doesn't seem to go anywhere near the rear quarter. Both bundles of wire lead off towards the middle of the car at one end while at the other disapper down the frame of the tailgate or into the area under the third brake light at the top of the rear window. Maybe the garage know of more going on inside than I can see.

20210222-145105.jpg

The freezing/wet weather has been putting me off investigating much further into this until now. Just been keeping an eye on how much water is gathering. It doesn't look too bad but who knows what could be hiding unseen. Next plan, if nothing else manifests is to remove the trim from the right hand side of the boot under the rear quarter window, pour water over the car and hopefully see where it's getting in.                                   Further updates as and when...

That's a shame it did not show any ingress of water, I would agree with the garage its running down the wiring from somewhere and that was the most likely place, very puzzling where it could be coming from. 

Keeps us informed when you manage to trace the water ingress, good luck hope you find it soon.

PS- As this is quite old topic now you may have managed to find the leak, but I only just saw your notification today when I just signed in.