Jump to content
AdamB

New to intravee

Recommended Posts

I’ve tried asking Richard P directly, but don’t know how often he frequents this forum, so I’ll post my queries here:

 

recently picked up a “new” car with an intravee and kca-420i fitted.

 

I can get music from my iPhone 6s (radio/Spotify), but I have to have the music playing before I plug it in for it to work.

 

also, I’ve bought a 12v-5v adapter that seems to work for charging, but again only works if I start the music playing first. - I can then stop phone music and go back to car radio and it will continue to charge.

 

- if I just plug phone in without music playing, it will start to charge, then stop after about 2/3 seconds.

 

either way, when my phone is connected, it will always say “no iPod” even if it is charging/playing.

 

anyway, as the expert, I wondered if there’s any checks I should do? Updates/mods/upgrades etc?

 

I've spotted the “wake up” mod, and wondered if this might sort the charging/connection issue.

 

I will keep my eye open for an iPod 5.5 80gb for all my stored music, but still like the idea of phone compatibility for dab, Spotify etc (and the ability to charge) - if I could get it working with my 6s, or the new SE I’ve just ordered, there’s less need for the iPod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I forgot to reply to your PM, I was rather busy when you sent it, then it just got lost in my inbox.

 

Something is not right, it should not behave like that at all.  It should not say 'no ipod' if the music is playing and it should not matter if the music is playing or not when you plug it in.

 

As you are using an iPhone you must have a dock connector to lightning adapter, is it a genuine Apple device?  I suspect that this may be where the problem is, although it's possible the iPod cable is damaged or the charge converter is to blame.

 

Worth checking if the KCA-420i has the wakeup mod as without it the iPhone can be a bit of a pain due to the short time it takes to go to sleep.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I bought the car, it only had the 30 pin to lightning adapter (looks the same as attached image) - there were two in the car, both allowed music, but wouldn’t charge. - no iPod shown, had to play music before connecting for it to work.

- I’m not sure if they’re genuine or not.

 

 

ive now added the charge adapter (as attached) and it acts the same for music playing, no iPod shown, if I plug in without music playing it stops after 2/3 secs (presumably wake-up mod not done?), if music playing, will continue to charge.

 

I've only tried my phone so far, not found a suitable iPod yet, but as stated would prefer to use my phone, and have a new SE on order.

 

I guess there’s two issues:

 

- charge / wakeup

- no iPod indication

D3E331A3-816C-46EA-BB65-3EB11C69DA95.png

C448A5ED-8B48-48BE-B885-048AEE8AD99C.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question:

 

I had my airbag replaced by bmw yesterday. 
 

ive noticed the stereo/dash are acting a little differently.

 

would they have reset anything by doing this in terms of the intravee or alpine?

 

ive not yet had the chance to properly explore the stereo etc yet, but before I took it in, I had the clock on the dash, and the pdc distances would come up, occasionally flicking to rpm.

 

now, that prt of the dash is dark, but I’ve had it display radio station name when I changed channels.

 

when my stereo is on the on-board computer screen, and I go to radio, it goes to radio, then flicks back to the computer screen. - again, not sure if this is a stereo thing, or an intravee thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacing the airbag should not make any difference to the Intravee settings.

 

The Intravee automatically disables the OBC if any other text is displayed there, do you have any warnings like Washer Fluid Low etc.?  You can also toggle the cluster display on and off, they may have changed that setting inadvertently.

 

If you have the on-board computer screen displayed (or any other non audio screen), then change the audio source using the MODE button or the FM/AM button, the display will change to the audio screen for about 5 seconds, then it will change back.  To toggle priority to the Audio screen and back, use the button that looks like two overlapping rectangles (it's actually a tape cassette in a tape drive).  This is described in more detail in the user guide as virtually every new user of the Intravee (or any other audio integration type device) will ask about it at some point.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No warnings currently, although the other week it did ping up “check parking lights” - hoping this is to do with the chewed bit of loom I found, as lights were all ok.

 

I do intend to read the guide, just not gotten round to it yet.thanks for some pointers.

 

is it worth me doing a firmware update or anything?

 

I’ll try and locate the alpine unit and pull the cover off, but I suspect it’s not modded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best find out which firmware version it has first.

 

To do a firmware update you need a Windows laptop (or PC very close to your car) with a serial port or a USB/Serial port adapter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, laptops aren’t an issue, serial port is. 
 

I’ll have a hunt for an adapter over the weekend.

 

it’s a shame there’s not this info able to be displayed somewhere on the screen when requested.

 

in other news, thanks for the pointers, I’ve got my cluster showing what it was before, and can now easily switch between my audio display and my computer display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Ok, laptops aren’t an issue, serial port is. 
 

I’ll have a hunt for an adapter over the weekend.

 

it’s a shame there’s not this info able to be displayed somewhere on the screen when requested.

 

in other news, thanks for the pointers, I’ve got my cluster showing what it was before, and can now easily switch between my audio display and my computer display.

Which info?

 

There is a sticky on how to update the Intravee.  You should get a good quality FTDI chipset based USB/Serial adapter, something like this 

 

https://www.tronisoft.com/store/usb-to-serial-cable-ftdi-gold-plated-90cm

 

Some of the cheep ones on e-bay etc won't work reliably at the speed required by the Intravee downloader.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The firmware version. - is it possible to find this out without plugging in?

 

thanks for link for adapter, I’ll have a look.

 

did you see my comment about volume? iPhone seems lower volume than the other inputs (radio for instance).

 

in terms of other inputs, I’ve read about the alpine tua-t100 for dab without the need for a switch. The issue being the price.

 

does the switch enable me to use a different dab unit from alpine, or am I still limited to the t100 due to the ai-net thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get the firmware version from the Setup->About->Software menu.

 

The volume is a little lower than other inputs due to the clipping point on the CD Change input of some types of BMW radio. It’s just fractionally lower than the maximum direct output from the AI-Net which means it has to be reduced. Due to the relatively late point in the hardware development the only way to do this was to reduce it a bit more than necessary (its to do with the ratio of two resistors, one had to be changed from 100k to 66k, the ideal would have been about 90k but such a value is not made).

 

The only DAB tuner that works is the TUA-T100DAB, there is no other AI-Net DAB tuner.  You may be interested to look at the use of the Invery on the dock connector of the KCA-420i to enable Bluetooth streaming, and hence internet radio, there is a thread about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I’ve got internet radio on my phone, which is what I’ve been using via the 420i unit.

 

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the t100 unit to give me the oem feel / menu function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RichardP said:

You may be interested to look at the use of the Invery on the dock connector of the KCA-420i to enable Bluetooth streaming, and hence internet radio, there is a thread about it.

 

Hmm, I had totally missed this but it looks very interesting: https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/81014-30-pin-bluetooth-dongle-with-avrcp-13-or-greater-for-id3-tag-support/?page=10 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 11:05 PM, AdamB said:

E86E53CE-F0F4-4B35-9D6D-DDA3BCB73AE8.jpeg

626BE0E1-C104-449C-9FCA-A520DB2E99CF.jpeg

Is it worth doing the update? I’ve ordered the serial lead.

 

hopefully will locate the 420i unit this week to check if it’s got the mod (doubting it due to what is currently happening)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 9:06 PM, RichardP said:

You can get the firmware version from the Setup->About->Software menu.

 

The volume is a little lower than other inputs due to the clipping point on the CD Change input of some types of BMW radio. It’s just fractionally lower than the maximum direct output from the AI-Net which means it has to be reduced. Due to the relatively late point in the hardware development the only way to do this was to reduce it a bit more than necessary (its to do with the ratio of two resistors, one had to be changed from 100k to 66k, the ideal would have been about 90k but such a value is not made).

 

The only DAB tuner that works is the TUA-T100DAB, there is no other AI-Net DAB tuner.  You may be interested to look at the use of the Invery on the dock connector of the KCA-420i to enable Bluetooth streaming, and hence internet radio, there is a thread about it.

Hi again,

 

I’ve noticed when listening to digital radio via my phone, not only is the audio quieter (already explained), but the general audio is awful compared to the normal radio. Bass non existent, mid is pretty weak.

 

I tried listening to music via YouTube and it was slightly better, but not much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/12/2020 at 18:03, AdamB said:

Hi again,

 

I’ve noticed when listening to digital radio via my phone, not only is the audio quieter (already explained), but the general audio is awful compared to the normal radio. Bass non existent, mid is pretty weak.

 

I tried listening to music via YouTube and it was slightly better, but not much.


Also make sure that the volume is turned up to 100% on your phone.


Internet radio is very compressed so the SQ is never going to be as good as a CD but should be close to radio - at least it is in my car - I suppose it depends on what app you use - I mostly listen to Spotify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rosie said:


Also make sure that the volume is turned up to 100% on your phone.


Internet radio is very compressed so the SQ is never going to be as good as a CD but should be close to radio - at least it is in my car - I suppose it depends on what app you use - I mostly listen to Spotify.

Kerrang Radio, never seems a problem listening on my phone normally, but plug it into the car and it’s shite.

 

as for turning volume up, I can’t! It locks when I plug the phone in, only volume adjust is via the stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×