sams255

f11 530D Coolant change

For something that simple I'd just do it myself. 

Had to do it on the E61 when I replaced the stat. I used premixed Comma G48 from Halfrauds.

I am interested to find this out too, BMW's process is to vacuum fill the system to avoid airlocks. I did buy a kit but not yet used  for this but did anyone actually do without it. I dont know if there is a bleed screw? There is also process called venting the system?

5 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

For something that simple I'd just do it myself. 

Had to do it on the E61 when I replaced the stat. I used premixed Comma G48 from Halfrauds.

Halfrauds also do a coolant change for 40 pounds. 

Couldn't find a drain bolt either so will have to look into it which hose will need taking off

On E61/N53 you drop the radiator bottom hose to drain.

Once refilled there is a self-bleed process dye to the electronic coolant pump. IIRC it's something like set heater to mid heat, ignition on, (don't start) press accelerator to the floor and hold for at least 12 secs then release. The system will then go into a self-bleed sequence that can take up to 20 mins.

No idea if the F series has a similar function though.

At worst just revert to basics... fill system and leave the cap off. Heaters to max and run the engine. Check and top up as it comes up to temperature. Once it's very hot at the vents and no longer needs topping up, you're done.

On 03/12/2020 at 23:16, Matthew Ashton said:

You are correct.  I’d be looking to get that changed soon.

Got it on a ramp to do the job. But saw a pink patch a mate of mine said the radiator looks like its leaking and I shouldn't change the coolant otherwise it could just come pissing out. 

The coolant level hasnt gone down and it isn't wet it's just a pink patch. so am I looking at a new radiator ?

That's on the right hand side btw

IMG_20201207_125406.jpg