Nick E

Idle vibration

I've got a very slight vibration on the E39 525i when static. It's not bad, but it's noticeable.

Mentioned it to the garage last week, and they checked the transmission and engine mounts, and they're all ok. In fact, they said it idles better than some 5 year old cars they service.

But its still there.

This morning, and it's cold and damp and horrible, and I haven't used the car for a couple of days, the vibration on start up was very noticeable. The car was shaking. A few revs and a once around the block cured it, but it's the first time I've had that on any car I've ever owned.

Thoughts as to what to investigate?

Cheers,

Nick

Has it been plugged in and checked for faults stored? Maybe misfire. When sparkplugs have been changed last? Inspect all intake pipes and hoses for air leaks. If engine is sucking extra air somewhere, it will badly affect idling and overall performance.

Hi Ray. There's no fault codes. Checked them this weekend.

Plugs aren't old. Changed three years ago. I had two coilpacks changed on the service after I bought the car, and that sorted out the misfire codes.

I'll have a fiddle around with the hoses, and try driving with the MAF disconnected for a bit. This was the subject of a previous thread regarding power output on the car.

Edited by Nick E

30 minutes ago, Nick E said:

Hi Ray. There's no fault codes. Checked them this weekend.

Plugs aren't old. Changed three years ago. I had two coilpacks changed on the service after I bought the car, and that sorted out the misfire codes.

I'll have a fiddle around with the hoses, and try driving with the MAF disconnected for a bit. This was the subject of a previous thread regarding power output on the car.

Easy way to detect air leaks on naturally aspirated engine is with spraying brake cleaner or similar stuff everywhere around pipes, hoses intake manifold etc, if there will be a air leak, you will hear engine speed change (rpm to increase).

6 minutes ago, Pete Soulby said:

Rocker cover gasket leaking oil into the plugs when it’s sat, then it gets burnt off when started and used.

Something wrong there, first thing, rocker cover is leaking mostly when running, because when sat, oil is in sump, and second thing - valve cover will never get that hot to burn oil off. Then oil would be burning everywhere in engine and around it if leaking. Only area where oil truly burns off is on exhaust manifold. 

The rocker cover gasket has just been replaced, and it was rechecked last week. It's fine. 

Edited by Nick E

3 hours ago, PL523i said:

How is it on a hot start? 

Wondering if it on the exhaust side of breathing. 

Try not to overthink it though, it will consume you lol

Not paid it too much attention on a hot start. Always been too busy. I think it's fine though.

You're right. Stop overthinking. It's a Teutonic workhorse, not an F1 car.