Steve van hool

E39 M5, replacing front coil springs.

Has anyone replaced their front coil springs recently, and can offer any short cuts in removing the struts, for instance is it possible after removing the top 3 nuts, and the pinch bolt, can the strut be removed from the housing  after clearing the wheel arch without having to remove discs, hubs etc, I did it this way a good while ago on the 528i, but I'm aware of a slightly different set up with a V8.

I'm not interested in converting to coilovers, or anything overs, just replacing broken coil springs, Ta.

The car has a sport button on the dash so it has EDC, and apparently the springs in the EDC set up are different, and is why I'm having trouble sourcing springs for it, £200+ for two springs at the dealers, ideas folks?

Got me scratching my head....pretty sure the E39 M5 doesn't have EDC? Some iterations of the E34 M5 certainly had EDC though.

When pressed, the Sport button alters the throttle map and opens/closes a valve in the servotronic steering system to give weightier or lighter steering inputs at the steering wheel (speed dependent). Never heard about EDC on our version of the M5. Perhaps it was an option on JDM variants, or something?

Can anyone confirm or deny the presence of EDC on the E39 M5?

12 hours ago, DepthHoar said:

Got me scratching my head....pretty sure the E39 M5 doesn't have EDC? Some iterations of the E34 M5 certainly had EDC though.

When pressed, the Sport button alters the throttle map and opens/closes a valve in the servotronic steering system to give weightier or lighter steering inputs at the steering wheel (speed dependent). Never heard about EDC on our version of the M5. Perhaps it was an option on JDM variants, or something?

Maybe you are right, there is no wire going to the top of the strut mounting nuts, will only no for sure when I take the wheel off.

Loads of springs for sale online but when I enter the cars Reg No, it says "not suitable for my vehicle" I don't want to end up with the wrong springs on it.

Pretty sure I'm right about the E39 M5 - in any markets - not having EDC.

Re. Coil spring availability.

If you can get OE springs from a BMW for circa £200 for a front pair  then I'd go for it if you looking to maintain the stock ride height and compliant ride characteristics.  

However, Realoem doesn't have part numbers for the front or rear springs, which is a little odd. Have you had  a firm price from a BMW dealer for front springs + an indication of availability?

Would be interested to hear how you get on with your quest. Let us know what decision you come to.

Apparently there are more detailed lists/tables of springs that aren't accessible through RealOEM but are to the dealer network. I read somewhere that springs are available in a variety of ratings suited to the exact equipment list on the vehicle. I'm sure I read that in a BMW document rather than internet lore.

I too would go with dealer supplied ones. You should get a reasonable discount from Cotswold on here. Otherwise you are likely to end up with something that isn't quite the real deal but someones generic 'M Sport' spring.

You need to:

Disconnect the ride height sensor linkage.

Release the ABS sensor cable from its supports, I think it can remain connected.

Disconnect the track rod end from the hub carrier (or the hub carrier won't flex down enough for the strut to clear the wing).

Remove and support the brake caliper and pad wear sensor (bracket and disc stay in place).

Remove the pinch bolt and the anti-roll bar link bracket.

Carefully spread the 'pinch' of the hub carrier using a thin wedge (BFO screwdriver) or the special tool until you can rotate the strut in the hub carrier.

Undo the three top mount nuts.

Protect the wing edge very carefully.

Stand on the hub and lever it all down and out from under the wing.

Twist and slide the strut from out of the hub carrier.

You might need to loosen the subframe fixings on the two remaining suspension arms so that they allow the hub to swivel down enough to get the strut to clear the wing. If you do, they must only be torqued back up with the suspension lifted to normal ride height, or you will destroy the bushes.

Edited by THe39M5

On 24/11/2020 at 20:29, DepthHoar said:

You are right, the sport button makes no difference to the suspension.

In my language the accelerator can start to act like you are a kangaroo and you get a little bit of a work out with the steering... :)