cornershop

SLS - fluid leak

So after BMS in Leatherhead fitted refurbished SLS struts to my 91 Saloon, twice now fluid has forced itself out of the PAS reservoir and onto my driveway. 

I checked the level from cold, pumped the brake pedal 15 or so times and it was still below the gauze on level ground, so added approx 50ml which took it to 10mm above the bottom of the gauze. Took it for a 30min spin, and within a few minutes of parking up, the level is 10mm from the top, with traces of fluid down the side of the reservoir.  The following morning, it’s left a sizeable stain on the drive and the level is below the gauze again.

Next time, I check level before setting off, this time 10mm above gauze (without me adding any fluid); when I get back, it’s close to the top again.  Use a syringe to remove circa 75ml, but this takes level back below gauze again when checking the following day, with more signs of leaking from the reservoir.

The stain is a PITA but I can deal with it, my biggest concern is potentially running my newly refurbed struts dry, which I’ll be properly peed off about.  I think there is air in the system but not sure if a bleed screw exists?

Have emailed and called BMS, speak to the receptionist both 2 weeks and 1 week ago and no one has called me back. Complete shambles, I thought they had a decent rep.  I keep getting told “we’re really busy”

This after spending £1500 with them overall....

20 hours ago, greenelekta said:

I could be wrong,  but I seem to remember there is a ride height regulator with a non return valve. Could be worth looking into.

Yep, I believe there is a bleed nipple on the regulator... 

Exchanged some Facebook messages with David Olias from Classic MD autos.

he suggested the NRV in the valve could be at fault, allowing fluid to head back to the reservoir - he does have refurbished valves available, but suggested if an e38 valve fits the e34 with the arms changed over (as i have read), that would be a better option (available from Europe for 270 GBP..)  Useful to know, however.

I’m thinking that if the valve  is the cause of the fluid level change, I’d see some change in the ride height at the rear, but thats not the case.  Its sitting and riding perfectly.

Ive pinged BMR in Crawley an email as they’re about an hour away from me in Woking  - will follow up tomorrow.  Failing that, I’ll take a day out and see if David at Classic MD can assist.  Risky if it can’t be changed over easily - I’ve read the pipes that feed and return the fluid can be a pain to remove - could leave me stranded in Suffolk (!)

Follow up on this - I’ve monitored SLS fluid levels for the past couple of months and they have stayed very constant - ie, just under the gauze when cold as David Olias suggested.

After a run, it will show by a mm or two above the gauze, but return to the below gauze setting overnight.

So, i think its bled itself and settled which is a big relief after the spend on refurbed shocks, accumulators etc etc. I will replace the SLS fluid with a turkey baster or similar in the next month or so - i supplied BMS 2 litres of fluid to change when fitting the new shocks and all they did was top up what was lost! :rolleyes:

I have to say, its a pleasure to drive on new shocks, springs, fluid and bushes.  Taut, but not jarring and nicely damped over minor ruts or undulations - I’m really happy with the outcome.  

yes fronts are on!  Yet to fit the rears but i need to buy some shocks.  Its in for MOT and some other work at the minute