Steve van hool

Pubs shut, takeaway recommendations

With all the pubs currently closed, can anyone recommend any good bottled or canned beers, my favourite off license brews include Tim Taylor Landlord ale, and Hobgoblin, it's not as good as draught beer but not far off.

I like hoppy real ales so enjoy the following:

Ghost Ship

Citra 

Hopnik

9 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

I like the hoppy ales too, much more flavoursome, than alot of the lagers.

My neighbour used to have a small microbrewery - won Champion ale of Cheshire in 2013 and he still brews occasionally at a large bottling plant. He has made me into a bit a real ale geek  :rolleyes:teaching me which hops to look for such as Citra or Cascade. So many good local microbreweries around. For me Red Willow in Macclesfield have some fantastic beers (available online to order) and we also have Bollington and Storm Breweries locally. Spoilt for choice from local suppliers. 

Yes, a few local, and micro brewerys round my way, Southport, offering their brews in the local pubs, which we are missing at the moment, bottled stuff even if good, is still no match for a draught beer.

Yep, nothing better than a proper keg cask ale. 

Bottles tend to be tastier than cans. The best canned beer that is almost the same as the keg imho is Adnams Ghost Ship.

Both bottled and canned ales have additional additives to give them a shelf life which is one reason they don't taste the same. A cask beer once tapped and vented has about 10 days before it goes off and tends to be just natural ingredients hence the better taste.

Alcohol free beer...what's that :lol:

Tiny Rebel brewery do some great beers (Newport based) and Cwtch is a personal favourite (ex-champion beer of Britain)- they do home delivery. 

Edited by E39mad

On 18/11/2020 at 22:34, Steve van hool said:

With all the pubs currently closed, can anyone recommend any good bottled or canned beers, my favourite off license brews include Tim Taylor Landlord ale, and Hobgoblin, it's not as good as draught beer but not far off.

Where are you in Lancs Steve?

I've 3 local breweries that are doing their own beer take-outs; Beer Brothers, 3 B's Brewery and Crankshaft Brewery?

As for bottled beer; Booths and Waitrose have a lot of 3 for £5 on currently; inc the Timmy Taylor lot (at Booths); they have Landlord, Landlord Dark, Knowle Spring and Bolt Maker on the offer; Waitrose have all the Hobgoblins (IPS, Gold and normal) as well as the Titanic Brewery beers on offer (White Star, Iceberg & Plum Porter)

Crankshaft do the 5l and 10l beer in bags; you just need to give them a 1second 'zizz' with a hand blender to give them a smooth, creamy head ;)  They're c£13 per 5l

This is Leyland Tiger and Leyland Badger:

Crankshaft-Leyland-Tiger.jpg

Leyland-Badger.jpg

Why do you have to go and create a post like this :D

I decided to cut down on the drinking three weeks ago as I found I was drinking in the house a lot during the weekend - which I thought would take the gloss off going out for a beer when we are allowed to again!

Not only that, I have stopped the take-aways/fast food and the occasional vape. The past three weeks have been utterly horrendous :lol:

Thats said, there seem to be a lot of micro-breweries popping up over the past few years. There is one round the corner from me - Big Bog Brewery that do collection and delivery service.

They did used to open up the warehouse on a Friday night for a few hours and have a few tables out, which was always an expirience.

2 hours ago, E39mad said:

Alcohol free beer...what's that :lol:

Tiny Rebel brewery do some great beers (Newport based) and Cwtch is a personal favourite (ex-champion beer of Britain)- they do home delivery. 

Like going to a brass house for a hug! 

Edited by AlexGSi2000

30 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

I'm in Southport Dan, btw that tiger looks a bit cloudy, is it wheat beer?

Alex, have a bit of will power, wimp.

Hi pal

No; that's literally just as I'd zizzed it; it settled into a decent pint; think along the lines of what Boddie's used to be like :) 

I'm heading to Crankshaft in 10mins to pick up 8 more 5l boxes :lol: 

2 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

^^^ Not my local pub, or any other ale house that I'm aware, nor in the previous lockdown either, maybe take out beer is a Southern thing.

You’ll have local breweries doing this Steve

Look on Facebook and see what’s what; or head over to Preston to do your shopping and pop to Crankshaft or Beer Brothers  ;) 

https://beerbrothers.co.uk/

Parker Brewery is your way and bloody good beer. Did a brewery tour there a few years back with the guys from Guild Ale House in Preston and it was really good; http://www.theparkerbrewery.co.uk/?LMCL=OSDeOs

Crankshaft Brewery: https://crankshaftbrewery.co.uk/

3 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You’ll have local breweries doing this Steve

Look on Facebook and see what’s what; or head over to Preston to do your shopping and pop to Crankshaft or Beer Brothers  ;) 

https://beerbrothers.co.uk/

Parker Brewery is your way and bloody good beer. Did a brewery tour there a few years back with the guys from Guild Ale House in Preston and it was really good; http://www.theparkerbrewery.co.uk/?LMCL=OSDeOs

Crankshaft Brewery: https://crankshaftbrewery.co.uk/

I have tried Sandgrounder, and Golden Sands which are local ales to me. Did a brewery  visit to Whitbread Salmsbury,  with the local fell walking club, ages ago, was good.

2 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

I have tried Sandgrounder, and Golden Sands which are local ales to me. Did a brewery  visit to Whitbread Salmsbury,  with the local fell walking club, ages ago, was good.

That’s going back some time Steve, hasn’t been Whitbred since my late teens and I’m 41 now!

Its 5mins from where I live too

50 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Duncan, my local is a camera recommended pub, I was pulling your leg on the southern comment.

Yeh I get that :P

you want to get yourself a Watney’s party seven!