Edpugh

m535i power steering leak

Hi everyone

Power steering on my 1986 e28 m535i is on the blink. The belt is loose, which should be an easy fix. But there is also evidence of ps fluid leaking inside the engine bay. Obviously the pipes are all very old and no doubt some have perished. 

Are there any obvious items to consider replacing?

thanks

Ed

It is also possible to overfill the reservoir if you do not follow the fluid level check and refill process in the owners manual.

Don't ask how I know this :rolleyes: 

Back in 2000 I had a 1987 635 csia which has the same power steering system and the first time I checked the fluid level...

Best regards,

Mick

Top tip if you need pipe work and that is to go to someone like Pirtek.

They made me new hoses far cheaper than BMW and looked pretty OE, they could reuse metal pipe bits if needed say for the steering box.

On one they even included a flexible connection which made fitting sooo much easier!

When i bought mine the sensors on top of the bomb weeped too if i recall.

OK guys - an update. A new belt has largely solved the problem, but there is evidence of PAS fluid seeping out from a number of hose unions, hence the low fluid levels. My man at the garage advises acquiring a length of OEM hose and some jubilee clips to replace the OEM hose clamps, then we'll renew the bits that seem to be leaking the most. 

2 - questions:

1 - OEM 12 x18mm hose costs a bloody fortune - £40 on eBay for a short length from Lithuania! Any better ideas? Pirtek hoses are all imperial sizes

2 - will correctly sized jubilee clips (13-20mm version) do the job, or does it need to be the spec expensive OEM hose clamps?

The pump is rated at 110bar i think - pretty sure jubilee clip won't cut it!

In my experience you end up chasing leaks around.

Pirtek made mine up - took the old ones as templates - this was a while ago but can't see why they can't still do same?

110 bar is a hell of a lot of pressure and the potential for damage whether it be human or vehicular is enormous. Duncan ia talking a lot of sense. get them made up professionally.

When I bought my 740i, one of my first jobs was to replace various P.S. pipes and seals.

Edited by Taffy 1