Sign in to follow this  
Pete Soulby

530i traction control light

I’ve just got a vehicle with this light on the dash and after a while driving in damp conditions I also get amber abs and handbrake light on-this then stops the speedo working.

I have done a scan and it comes up with faulty rear left sensor, no signal. I’ve had a look at the sensor and someone has been here before and snapped the bolt in the hub, the sensor looks fine.

few questions...

Would a bad sensor fetch all these lights on? DSC does not distinguish the light.

Does the sensor need an earth off that bolt at all or is it actually a diff sensor?

Also if there is an issue with the bearing/relict or ring does this throw up the same code? In my experience in a situation like this on an e90 it was a reluctor ring that fetched up the abs and handbrake light, also killing the dash.

21 hours ago, stevecvo said:

A faulty ABS module also sometimes throws up a false wheel sensor error.

This is my biggest fear but I think there are multiple issues throwing my thinking out.

When I scan I can clear the abs sensor code, if it’s there and on, but I see nothing for the traction control light.

The only code I get is for the steering angle sensor which I’ve read can trigger the warning light also, I’m just waiting on my cable shack order to arrive to hopefully resolve this issue.

I did 60 miles on Sunday and the light didn’t come on for the abs sensor, I’ve replaced the sensor and still have the same issues so I’ve ordered a new bearing assy in the hope this is the issue, failing that I’ll send the abs module off.

Ill update on here the solution just in the hope it helps someone out in the future.

Actually petrols stuffer more often from failing ABS modules than diesels, because on petrols ABS is more exposed to exhaust manifold heat.

About wheel bearing, I believe you can check readings once your cable arrive. Plus if fault code shows that it's electrical fault, I doubt it's bearing itself.

Had the same issue on my 530d a few years back, would be fine for about 10 miles then speedo would stop and ABS and handbrake light would come on - it was the left rear sensor. This is the sensor that provides the signal to the speedometer I believe. I also sheared the bolt and then the sensor came out with the help of a drill in many pieces (trying not to damage the reluctor ring). Drilled and re-tapped and cleaned out the sensor hole as best I could - installed an el-cheapo sensor from ebay. I've never had an issue since with speedo or warning lights since but I do get the ABS pulsing through the pedal whilst reversing which is unnerving but livable with. Lots of copper slip so next time it's easier.