Steveo1

Delivery times

On 1/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, E30m20 said:

At the moment my order is at status 111 ( order accepted) Bmw online chat is quoting delivery at the end of April, dealer says March.  Let’s see what happens....with no build week allocated yet I’m not holding my breath.

Latest update from online chat is that production is scheduled, code 1100.  Their delivery estimate being 17th May.  

On 28/01/2021 at 13:57, E30m20 said:

Latest update from online chat is that production is scheduled, code 1100.  Their delivery estimate being 17th May.  

That a long old wait for a car. Have they given you anymore information about why is such a long wait?

Edited by Steveo1

Well the dealer reckons that the BMW online chat is always giving a worst case scenario on delivery dates.  He says it will be a late March delivery based on the build allocation.  I don’t 100% believe him but let’s see how it goes.  I have my current car available to me until May so no major rush.  The dealer said the delay from the original quoted date (early March) was due to ‘system issues’ but I think he just sandbagged my order and forgot about it.  I have to say I’m not overly enthused by the buying experience I’m getting.

On 29/01/2021 at 22:53, E30m20 said:

Well the dealer reckons that the BMW online chat is always giving a worst case scenario on delivery dates.  He says it will be a late March delivery based on the build allocation.  I don’t 100% believe him but let’s see how it goes.  I have my current car available to me until May so no major rush.  The dealer said the delay from the original quoted date (early March) was due to ‘system issues’ but I think he just sandbagged my order and forgot about it.  I have to say I’m not overly enthused by the buying experience I’m getting.

Having brought a number of new cars, my experience is that delivery dates tend to come forward rather than slip, so think your assessment is probably right. Obviously LCI updates cause some chaos, especially for touring models. 

On 1/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, Steveo1 said:

That a long old wait for a car. Have they given you anymore information about why is such a long wait?

The last 2 Merc’s I bought had delivery 9 months after order !  Both deals were too good for me to pull out of. 

I’m getting a pretty different experience from my dealer.  He says late March despite Bmw online saying late May.  He says his boss called Bmw directly to get my car a build slot for this month.  Said his boss will call me to update me on what he discussed with ‘Germany’.  2 days later still no call.  Interesting level of service when buying a 50k car....

On 04/02/2021 at 22:53, E30m20 said:

I’m getting a pretty different experience from my dealer.  He says late March despite Bmw online saying late May.  He says his boss called Bmw directly to get my car a build slot for this month.  Said his boss will call me to update me on what he discussed with ‘Germany’.  2 days later still no call.  Interesting level of service when buying a 50k car....

Hope you get sorted.

Got the same experience from my dealer something was not quite right this time round. Never had a problem in the past ordering from them but no joy at all this time round trying to order a fully loaded G31.

It does seem a bit odd.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  It will also be interesting to see at which point I Jack in the order and decide to buy from stock or worse get a merc!??!  BMW online chat seems to be down at the moment, maybe they are getting too many requests for status updates...

A quick update on my G31 factory order experience.  I’ve cancelled it, instead I’ve ordered a M340i touring which is in stock.  Somehow it worked out cheaper than my original G31 520d build.  Some fantastic deals on M340i’s at the moment.  Dealer was more than happy to cancel the factory order, it’s a win win for everyone in my opinion.

Blimey, when I bought mine in October 2020 it was between a 340i Touring and the 530d and the 340i was over £200/month more. 

Great car, congrats.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, Daaaavvveee said:

My 520i has just landed in the UK, hopefully not too much longer to wait!

Dealer tells me mines at docks in the U.K.   Looks like it will be delivered on time.  They just need a few days ripping me off redoing the tow bar wiring and it should be delivered to me by the end of next week 

On 18/02/2021 at 13:25, Lust4Life said:

Blimey, when I bought mine in October 2020 it was between a 340i Touring and the 530d and the 340i was over £200/month more. 

Great car, congrats.

I second that, I enquired back end of last year and they were mega money. 

9 hours ago, Mark70 said:

Dealer tells me mines at docks in the U.K.   Looks like it will be delivered on time.  They just need a few days ripping me off redoing the tow bar wiring and it should be delivered to me by the end of next week 

Being delivered directly from the port on the 17th :D

I just went down to the dealer yesterday in Denmark to sign for the 545e M Sport I have been considering for a while. Only to be told that BMW had informed the dealership last week that they were having issues getting the breaks for this model delivered to the factory, and they could not say when they will be able to deliver the car. They had initially mentioned about 4 to 5 months delivery time, but now it could be 6-8 months (or possibly more as they would not guarantee anything). Still went ahead and signed as this is the car I feel i must own...

Have anyone else been told similar story about delays due to 'missing' breaks?

Edited by ULR74

The brake system also includes energy recovery with a load of electronics to make this all work seamlessly so is likely to be impacted by the current World shortage of semi-conductors.

The motor industry in general is highly exposed to this with heavy use of just-in-time supply chains, and other manufacturers are having to pause production lines due to this, so it is unlikely BMW is immune to this.

Edited by SJL

It may be a coincidence but there seems to be a world shortage of chips for the car manufacturers so perhaps that is a factor too. If the energy recovery uses a chip that could be the real cause of the delay. Jag Land Rover are closing 2 factories next week and Renault & Toyota are reporting serious problems as well. 

Hi All

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but due to I’m looking to get back into a 5 touring from my current XC90. I only had it 6 months but it’s got great equity at the minute so bows the time to change and the other reason is it’s not a BMW. 

Just wondering if any of you guys have recently ordered a Touring and what delivery times you’ve been given and what discounts you managed to get. 

Cheers in advance Steven. 

45 minutes ago, q96169we said:

Can't comment on the delivery time but I'm interested to know your thought about the XC90 vs 5 Touring.

XC90 is a lovely car and mine is fully loaded. Plenty of room for lugging stuff about and in electric model it's hard to beat.

The big differences are the fit and finish the XC90 isn't a patch on my previous BMW's and didn't expect part vinyl seats on a nearly £80000 SUV and the engine. My previous 5 cars were all 6 cylinder petrol BMW's but the Volvo is a supercharged and turbo charged 2L 4 cylinder petrol and although it's got plenty of power the sound is just so agricultural when the engine takes over from the electric motors.

2 hours ago, Steveo1 said:

part vinyl seats on a nearly £80000 SUV

Is that the same thing as what some people call PU leather? Basically, an artificial material that looks like leather? Isn't that one of the selling point of Volvo that they use environment friendly material (or something like that)?

2 hours ago, Steveo1 said:

the Volvo is a supercharged and turbo charged 2L 4 cylinder petrol and although it's got plenty of power the sound is just so agricultural

Only volvo I've tried is a quite old S40 with the inline 5 turbo engine. That is quite amazing. Maybe because at that time I hadn't tried many cars yet. My parent just got their XC60 last week. Maybe I can have a try when I visit them next time if by then they haven't sold it.