j525i

Looking to buy F10 Petrol

So a question to Andrew535i and others that own  the petrol F10s

What are thr pitfalls to look out for, what to test and what specks are best?

I've seen a few Acitvehybrid 5 for sale on Autotrader so what's the group's opinion on these?

regards

Jay

A petrol f10/f11 is all about refinement IMO. My last Derv BMW was an lci e60 530d and whilst it was a great mile muncher with plenty of torque, the 535i Petrol i'm now running is a whole lot more refined, quicker and the later auto boxes are now so good.

Options are personal taste, however from my experience, VDC or Adaptive Suspension is a game changer and drive so much better than a car without. HUD is a nice feature and pro (widescreen) nav is a great option too. Anything else the first owner optioned is just a bonus...

C.

The 6 pot petrol engines are reliable enough in the F10 range. V8 is to be avoided, issues with timing chains etc. They are easy to maintain, just keep changing the oil every year or 10k miles. I change my oil and air filters once a year.

The (minor) pitfalls are with the rest of the car, (air con condenser, door corrosion, springs breaking, yellow grommet leaks) assuming you can find a petrol F10. That’s the hard bit.

After a recent service mine is super smooth and quiet. The noisiest part on mine is the rumble from the rft winter tyres. 

Mine doesn’t have pro nav but has split rear seats, adaptive Xenons and a towbar which I use plenty, options/specifications  is very subjective so do your own homework on what’s important to you.

On 15/11/2020 at 16:06, bmwmike said:

I wouldnt touch the hybrids with a bargepole personally,

this! Because hybrids are just wrong, nowt to do with boot space. :D Although the BMW ones have a proper gearbox in them unlike the rest of the ghastly lot.

And you can’t tow with them either.  ;)

39 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I think all prices of petrol cars will go sky high now 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54981425

#where’s the power coming from? 

Don't quite understand why?

They are banning the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030 not the supply of petrol and diesel. In fact hybrids are not being banned so why will petrol cars alone go up in price?

Because there is no way there is going to be sufficient infrastructure in place to get electricity to the cars in ten years. We will need a massive upgrade to the national grid just to distribute the power to literally ever single car parking space to permit charging over night. The government has totally failed to grasp the need to get power to the people to permit charging of electric cars other than via an extension lead. 

An ugly Tesla 3 with a 54kWh battery plugged into a 13 amp socket will take 18 hours to charge in your driveway and at 4.5 miles per kWH will give you a range of 250 miles. 

Or you take your ICE to the petrol station and 5 mins later drive away with a 400-800 mile range. 

if the ban was 2040 as originally stated we at least stand a chance of getting the infrastructure in place before hand. 

Yes I get all that - but why specifically are petrol cars going to increase in value (you don't mention diesels) ? 

Edited by E39mad

12 hours ago, E39mad said:

Yes I get all that - but why specifically are petrol cars going to increase in value (you don't mention diesels) ? 

I think that's due to the Ulez regulations coming in

Jay

3 hours ago, j525i said:

I think that's due to the Ulez regulations coming in

Jay

ULEZ regulations affect both petrol and diesel cars. Older petrol cars are being sold such as E39 540i's as they would be charged. 

That is true, however the government is going to start taxing diesel drivers more than equivalent petrol as they want to abolish car owners driving diesel cars for personal use.

On 19/11/2020 at 14:00, E39mad said:

ULEZ regulations affect both petrol and diesel cars. Older petrol cars are being sold such as E39 540i's as they would be charged. 

In London this ULEZ charge is crazy and is likley to get worse

btw my 2001 M54 E39 was ULEZ compliant so dont know how these mobsters at TFL workout the tariffs

Jay