Sign in to follow this  
Numero9

Detailing Newbie

Looking for some advice/guidance on what to buy to give my car a really good clean/detail.

So far all I've done is vacuum the inside thoroughly and give all the door plastics a wipe down to remove all the mud/foot marks.

The inside has aluminium trim so wanted something that will give it a good clean and revive in areas where there a few marks.

The leather could do with some care too but not sure where to being as I currently have nothing

For leather I use Gliptone cleaner and conditioner like THIS. As an aside I also use it on my walking boots too and would hapily use it on other leather products.

I have used Autoglymn products in the past and they do a good kit for all the basics like THIS. The Vinyl and Rubber Care I found really good for the interior. The Extra Gloss Protection is a good way of getting a good finish on the paint too and gives good beading.

However I have started to use more and more AMDetail products and would reccommend it, although can get a little pricey if you need to buy a lot of their stuff! I've basically had that Autoglym kit and just replaced it with AMDetail products when I have ran out.

For metal I use Autosol polish. But be careful as it is a bit abrasive - I used it on my exhaust tips, back box, the chrome bezels around the lights and the chrome trim around the windows of my E34 but I wouldn't use it on the brushed aluminium trim in my M140i.

On 14/11/2020 at 16:30, Numero9 said:

Looking for some advice/guidance on what to buy to give my car a really good clean/detail.

So far all I've done is vacuum the inside thoroughly and give all the door plastics a wipe down to remove all the mud/foot marks.

The inside has aluminium trim so wanted something that will give it a good clean and revive in areas where there a few marks.

The leather could do with some care too but not sure where to being as I currently have nothing

Lots of detailing websites and forums to check out, and see where to begin and how.

For the Leather interior/seats i use Autoglym. Always comes out really well and protects the seat long term. 

How to use this Autoglym Leather Clean & Protect Kit

1. Vacuum the interior thoroughly, using a soft brush to remove as much dust and dirt as possible.
    2. Shake well and test a small inconspicuous area first to check for water staining and colour fastness.
    3. Spray Leather Cleaner sparingly onto a microfibre cloth and gently apply to the leather, spending longer on any stains or dirt trap areas.
    4. After 2 minutes remove the remaining cleaner and dirt by wiping over the area with a damp Hi-Tech Aqua-Dry rinsing it frequently in clean water.
    5. Allow the surface to dry to a natural finish and then protect with Leather Care Balm.