Sign in to follow this  
sjb993

G30 comfort access boot lid.

The manual suggests that the boot lid can be opened and closed by making a kick motion under the  centre of the rear bumper. Mine only opens. Do some versions of comfort access only open?

Thanks.

Edited by sjb993

Not as far as I know, both of mine have both opened and closed OK as per the manual.

Mine has never closed either. Thought I had misunderstood but now I’m interested. June/July 2018 build.

Glad to hear that at least one other person has a boot that doesn’t close! ;o)

Mine is a September 2019 build.

When I manually close it I cannot feel any resistance at all which makes me think it’s not connected to any kind of mechanism - it feels just the same as my previous F10 and G30 neither of which had comfort access. Would someone whose boot does close please let me know if they feel any slight resistance when they manually close the boot.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, sjb993 said:

When I manually close it I cannot feel any resistance at all which makes me think it’s not connected to any kind of mechanism - it feels just the same as my previous F10 and G30 neither of which had comfort access. Would someone whose boot does close please let me know if they feel any slight resistance when they manually close the boot.

Many thanks.

6GT with comfort access, kick under the bumper both opens and closes and there is a load of resistance if I try shut the boot manually.

Do you have comfort access as a general feature? I.e. touch the door handle and the car unlocks without removing the key from your pocket? If not, maybe what you have is just the automatic tailgate and maybe this works differently from the full Comfort access option.

1 hour ago, sjb993 said:

Many thanks.

Do you have a button to close the boot and does it work? If so there must be something connected, but if not .....

Matthew - the car was specified (not by me) with the Comfort Package, which includes Comfort Access along with electric memory seats, etc. The doors do open by touching handle and lock by touching ridges in the handle.

Boba - Yes there is a button inside the boot lid, boot as far as I can tell that only locks/unlocks the doors.

I’ll just have to hope that someone has a car of the same vintage (build date wise) as mine and the Comfort Package, and wait to hear how their boot lid behaves.

Edited by sjb993

14 minutes ago, sjb993 said:

Boba - Yes there is a button inside the boot lid, boot as far as I can tell that only locks/unlocks the doors.

Interesting.

Mine is a tourer so not a direct compare but has 2 buttons on the tailgate. One lowers the tailgate (or raises it again if you’re quick while it’s coming down) and the other BOTH closes the tailgate and locks the car.

As Boba says, Comfort access brings 2 buttons, one to close the boot and the other to close the boot & lock the car. With comfort you can close the boot by - either button, foot, lever in the door or key fob. Have you tried holding the key fob boot button when the boot is open - the boot will close with a warning signal that sounds like a lorry reversing !

Thanks all for the responses.

Boba and Wivenhoe - what was the build date of your cars?

Wivenhoe - I opened the boot with the boot open button, and then tried holding it pressed. The boot lid didn’t move but I did hear a clunk from the boot lock latch which I assume was the latch opening again (even though the boot lid was already open).

At the end of the day, I’m not really bothered whether or not the lid closes in response to a kick under the bonnet. But if something is supposed to work and doesn’t, I want to get it sorted whilst it’s still under warranty.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Mine is an April 2019 G30 build. There are two buttons on the boot, one (boot symbol) will just close the boot, the other (lock symbol) will close the boot and lock the car. I typically use the buttons to close rather than kick gesture because the gesture is accompanied by a warning beep (or two) that annoys me. 

For open and close using the kick gesture the only thing I find causes a problem is when my phone is in the same pocket as the key fob. Taking either out (or some slight adjustment) is usually enough to resolve the problem. 

I’ve got comfort access and the kick under the boot button, but I only have one button on the boot to lock, not to close. 

Mine is Jan 2018, has comfort access 2 buttons on boot lid , one to close , the other to close and lock everything. A kick under the boot opens and also closes ( together with audible warning siren)

Note the kick motion needs to be offset to the rhs of the bumper and you need to withdraw (your foot) quickly :-)

3 minutes ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

Mine is Jan 2018, has comfort access 2 buttons on boot lid , one to close , the other to close and lock everything. A kick under the boot opens and also closes ( together with audible warning siren)

Note the kick motion needs to be offset to the rhs of the bumper and you need to withdraw (your foot) quickly :-)

The kick can be anywhere along the length of the bumper and not just to the RHS. Jaguar yes - RHS but not BMW. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The kick can be anywhere along the length of the bumper and not just to the RHS. Jaguar yes - RHS but not BMW. 

Good to know .....but ive found it to be most consistent  towards RHS.  couldn't get it to work otherwise

11 hours ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

Good to know .....but ive found it to be most consistent  towards RHS.  couldn't get it to work otherwise

There are 2 sensor wires running the length of the bumper so it doesn't matter where you kick so long as it is a straight in and out movement of the foot.

Sorry to butt in on this thread as my vehicle does not have Comfort Access....but the LCI manual does suggest that Comfort opening AND closing can be set separately as follows:

D998E14F-EA03-4903-A88D-6D32D8F73771.thumb.png.fa8294ec38e78172380d4fc6d35212de.png

Also it does seem to suggest that the sensor is in the centre...

I hope that this helps?

I have comfort access, key in pocket etc. Boot has to be closed manually. I only have one button inside the boot lid. Could automatic closing be a separate order item or aligned to a different package? Original poster probably feeling diddled also.

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

There are 2 sensor wires running the length of the bumper so it doesn't matter where you kick so long as it is a straight in and out movement of the foot.

Hmm- i wasn't aware the wire ran the length of the bumper -  I'll check this out again thanks !

2 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

Sorry to butt in on this thread as my vehicle does not have Comfort Access....but the LCI manual does suggest that Comfort opening AND closing can be set separately as follows:

D998E14F-EA03-4903-A88D-6D32D8F73771.thumb.png.fa8294ec38e78172380d4fc6d35212de.png

Also it does seem to suggest that the sensor is in the centre...

I hope that this helps?

The sensor runs the length of the bumper, the manual says the centre as its the easiest way to describe it but you can be anywhere along the length.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=JN32-EUR-06-2019-G31-BMW-530d&diagId=61_4830

Sat in the car today there being not much else to do. Comfort access does not include automatic closing function . I have only one button on the boot and I have kicked to death beneath the rear bumper . Just to clarify for me, has anyone who has posted got only one button and their boot will close automatically. Thanks