Hi folks, I recently posted asking for recommendations for a suitable battery charger, but have now had a rethink & decided to purchase a compact jump-starter to keep in the car whilst continuing to rely on my old battery charger that although vintage (like me) is still up to it's task, as was proved last week.

This decision raises what may well be a stupid question, but please bear with me :unsure:

The BM's handbook avocates the use of the under-bonnet connections for jump-starting, but studying the spec. for this type of charger leads me to suspect that the leads to the croc. clips won't be long enough to span the distance between the + connection on the rocker box & the earth on the N/S inner wing. This is because the clips are designed to connect directly to the battery posts, so is there any reason why jump-starting via the battery would be detrimental to the car's electrics?

I've kept a tiny battery pack in my M62 E39 for a few years and it's a fantastic little bit of kit, as we all know it's far too easy to run even a fully charged battery flat after a full day on the drive opening/closing doors etc if you're working on the car. I connect directly to the battery in the boot and it fires up immediately even on a cold day, I'm always impressed with the capability of such a small device. Will dig out what I bought when I can find details. 

Edited by BarryM

9 hours ago, Norseman said:

Hi folks, I recently posted asking for recommendations for a suitable battery charger, but have now had a rethink & decided to purchase a compact jump-starter to keep in the car whilst continuing to rely on my old battery charger that although vintage (like me) is still up to it's task, as was proved last week.

This decision raises what may well be a stupid question, but please bear with me :unsure:

The BM's handbook avocates the use of the under-bonnet connections for jump-starting, but studying the spec. for this type of charger leads me to suspect that the leads to the croc. clips won't be long enough to span the distance between the + connection on the rocker box & the earth on the N/S inner wing. This is because the clips are designed to connect directly to the battery posts, so is there any reason why jump-starting via the battery would be detrimental to the car's electrics?

I have one very similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTECK-18000mAh-Portable-External-Automotive/dp/B01MXKJTJT/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=18000mAh+Portable+Car+Jump+Starter%2C&qid=1605083360&sr=8-5

Works superbly; got my previous E65 73D going with zero issues and has started my current touring with zero issues too (used it when I was having battery drain issues due to the HVAC control panel & heater valve when I first got the car)

I've started the car via the battery and via the terminals under the bonnet; no issues at all. It's a case of being careful

Think you can use one of the suspension bolts on the NS turret rather than the OS turret; mine doesn't reach that gap unfortunately

Thank to you all for the advice/recommendations … Arteck 800A device ordered today.

These things are like fire extinguishers, seem a waste of momey if never used but dirt cheap if they are :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I have one very similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTECK-18000mAh-Portable-External-Automotive/dp/B01MXKJTJT/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=18000mAh+Portable+Car+Jump+Starter%2C&qid=1605083360&sr=8-5

Works superbly; got my previous E65 73D going with zero issues and has started my current touring with zero issues too (used it when I was having battery drain issues due to the HVAC control panel & heater valve when I first got the car)

I've started the car via the battery and via the terminals under the bonnet; no issues at all. It's a case of being careful

Think you can use one of the suspension bolts on the NS turret rather than the OS turret; mine doesn't reach that gap unfortunately

Xmas pressie idea - but I guess you have to keep the battery pack itself charged up constantly, so in the event of emergency it has enough oommpphh to start the car's duff battery?

32 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Xmas pressie idea - but I guess you have to keep the battery pack itself charged up constantly, so in the event of emergency it has enough oommpphh to start the car's duff battery?

You do; but they don’t drain that readily, so maybe check it once a quarter and plug it in for 30mins etc :) 

Haven’t  touched mine since having the battery drain issues; but it’s in the car and I do as above just for peace of mind 

2 hours ago, Norseman said:

These things are like fire extinguishers, seem a waste of momey if never used but dirt cheap if they are :rolleyes:

Don’t worry, owning an E39 it will get used!

17 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You do; but they don’t drain that readily, so maybe check it once a quarter and plug it in for 30mins etc :) 

Haven’t  touched mine since having the battery drain issues; but it’s in the car and I do as above just for peace of mind 

Do you have the exact one in the Amazon link you posted Dan?

Dan’s looks very similar to mine and the battery always seems ready to go, I don’t charge it as often as quarterly. In fact I had to use it this afternoon as I’ve just been driving the car in & out of the garage for a few weeks (can’t get to most of my garage with car inside). Battery was showing 4 of 5 lights for power and started the car immediately and still shows 4 lights.

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Do you have the exact one in the Amazon link you posted Dan?

Ive the older model pal; black n yellow...

But exactly the same principle 

1 hour ago, BarryM said:

Don’t worry, owning an E39 it will get used!

'Oh ye of little faith !

Do I get the impression that BM's are notorious for parasitic drains or other voltage depleting maladies?

10 hours ago, Norseman said:

'Oh ye of little faith !

Do I get the impression that BM's are notorious for parasitic drains or other voltage depleting maladies?

Not the E39; very well known failures that can soon be swapped out (FSU is the general culprit)

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Not the E39; very well known failures that can soon be swapped out (FSU is the general culprit)

Thank you for that re-assurance.

The battery wouldn't hold a charge when I bought the car, a result of too many boost charges by the dealer perhaps. I asked our local auto shop for a suitable replacement by quoting the model/year, only when back home did I compare the label with the car's handbook & discovered that they had sold me a 90AH rather than the 70AH specified. Never mind, better more amps than not enough ? 

Edited by Norseman

2 hours ago, Norseman said:

Thank you for that re-assurance.

The battery wouldn't hold a charge when I bought the car, a result of too many boost charges by the dealer perhaps. I asked our local auto shop for a suitable replacement by quoting the model/year, only when back home did I compare the label with the car's handbook & discovered that they had sold me a 90AH rather than the 70AH specified. Never mind, better more amps than not enough ? 

Yup; bigger the better IMO

I only use the Yuasa 019 or Bosch S4/S5 019 batteries