waitee

540i exhaust Backbox delete

Thought id just do a wee separate write up on this for easier searching if anyone wants info.

After much debating what to do I opted for the straight pipe from the "Y" resonator to the back. Reasoning was I could easily put the standard one back on if needed, as the other option I was contemplating was leaving the resonator scuba tank in place and making a straight pipe for the other scuba tank, all a bit more hassle.

I got my self some 70mm pipe which is the correct size by the way. I opted for 409 steel which is better than other steel you might get at an exhaust shop. About 45 quid for 2 45° bends and 1m of straight pipe. (more than enough) I also opted to clamp on the exhaust to I could remove it and put back original should I want in the future.

I cut the original exhaust at the straight bit just being the rear diff. And flipped the hanger bracket round to the right, closer to the middle of the car.

Rest was done by a good TIG welder, Important to gas the inside of the pipe as well as the outside to avoid rust problems in the future. The tip was an ebay china special, but quality is fantastic, real carbon fiber to! not bad for 30 quid!

You can see from the comparison pic, sorry its blurry, that the pipe needs to be a few inches longer to stick out the back of the sport bumper a bit. 

Really happy with the results!

The important thing for me is when on the more driving normal you can hardly tell its there! motorway up to not90 mph there is NO DRONE! Idling you can barely notice a difference. Only when you put your foot down, so its perfect and just what I was after.

150.JPG

151.JPG

152.JPG

153.JPG

154.JPG

155.JPG

156.JPG

157.JPG

Edited by waitee
adding info

This is just what I needed! -  someone to have removed both sub boxes from the rear. Removing both was tempting but at the time when I had it done (in 2018) I was concerned about the level of noise and drone had I done that, so I stuck with just the rearmost removed. 

Going by your video, it does indeed sound quiet on tickover which is how mine is, but it certainly has more 'bite' when you put your foot down.

I might have to action "Stage 2" :lol:

20180611_094852_HDR.jpg.c86bbe5ddeab4f995eacfc3544ec0b0d.jpg

yeah that image youve posted is what I was pondering between. Im happy I opted for the full removal, idle is quiet, when you rev it hard actually the intake still sounds louder than the exhaust, I was doing it today. and importantly there is only the tiny faint roar in the far away background on the motorway. only at (not 90mph) do you actually get a drone. Plus for me anyway I can put it back to stock super easy If I ever feel the need.

The one thing I have noticed in the couple days ive had it, is that when its in that awquard situation when everyone is driving to slow on the motorway between 40-60 mph, speed going up and down allot. the auto box is changing gears allot and you get the kinda drone noise while it changes sometimes, but that kinda happened before in the same situation anyway, for a while now in these situation I stick the car in manual and leave it in 5th gear so its not changing all the time. Not really an exhaust issue though ;)

Edited by waitee

Oh I just realised it was you I spoke to a while back about the exhaust haha, im a pilot based in Edinburgh. you send me a video clip as well. anyway you can see what I decided to go for

Just now, waitee said:

Oh I just realised it was you I spoke to a while back about the exhaust haha, im a pilot based in Edinburgh. you send me a video clip as well. anyway you can see what I decided to go for

Yeah, that just occurred to me!

Nice write-up, and neat work both.

Loadmaster - what you've done is exactly what I have been contemplating, and for very much the same reasons - also the entirely stock-look exit down to the last bend before the outlet. How might that compare on sound?

Edited by Huff

You've had a good job done there; looks very neat :) 

What made you stick with the single tail pipe rather than go for a twin exit style pipe etc?

For me, that sounds perfect. Not stupidly loud, but not too subtle either. The right level of grumble for a V8 on an E39 saloon :)  

38 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You've had a good job done there; looks very neat :) 

What made you stick with the single tail pipe rather than go for a twin exit style pipe etc?

For me, that sounds perfect. Not stupidly loud, but not too subtle either. The right level of grumble for a V8 on an E39 saloon :)  

Exactly :) and yeah guy was a good welder for sure. why single? well simplicity and I like the look like that one big pipe just following from the hem exhaust.  

Im don't know if I like the tip or not, might be a bit chavvy for my taste. might get a black one in matt instead of gloss. there super cheap and easy to swap anyway, or might just leave the pipe as is. thoughts?

It's a personal call but for me I prefer the dual tip exhaust, think it suits the E39 really well. 

That and the OEM single design really... 

Yours looks well, just wondered why you'd gone with the single tip etc

12 minutes ago, waitee said:

you mean twin tip together yeah, not dual exit m5 style? might have a look and see

Yes sorry, twin tips etc... 

For example this is what I'm thinking of fitting to my touring in the near future 

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E39/1938179-new?product=SCM39MTR270

14 hours ago, Huff said:

Loadmaster - what you've done is exactly what I have been contemplating, and for very much the same reasons - also the entirely stock-look exit down to the last bend before the outlet. How might that compare on sound?

I'd say that Waitee's set up with both boxes removed certainly sounds better, and louder - but not offensive. Idle appears quiet, plus the same when he lifts off the throttle at the end of his video. I think I might do this - it's a reversible mod. I'll still stick with one standard bore exit pipe to keep it looking stock which is just a personal preference. As far as I know, no E39 variant was ever produced with a single twin pipe exit.

3 hours ago, waitee said:

my thoughts exactly :) reversible mod, and I like the single exit, al be in im not convinced my my tip, but its a bolt on..

Except yours will be a simpler reversal, having done it in one go, rather than my two part job if I do this. 

On 27/10/2020 at 16:37, Huff said:

Hi, was the question directed at me? Apologies, just noticed...