Keliuss

Cat STOLEN

Just found my 520i has had the cat stolen. Cat and centre silencer gone. Obviously oxygen sensor cable torn out. Car off the road and not insured. Not sure I have the money to get it repaired, and/or if it's financially viable. There's not too many of these about in Ireland anymore, especially in scrapyards. Can't break the car where I live and don't want to either. Anyone want to offer some encouraging advice?

Keliuss

Thanks, I guess that is a little encouraging. So long as it's going to pass an emissions test. I think I'll need the entire exhaust replaced. All money I don't really have atm. 

Does anyone know if these modern cats have less scrap value? Don't see the point in replacing it for it to be taken again. @Sir Anthony Regents-Park perhaps.

Also I've looked at potential cat protection but wondering if anyone has done one on an E34 and might have pics. I'm thinking along the lines of plating over it somehow.

Keliuss

2 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The catalyst is worth about £300-500. Lots getting stolen atm.

For the price of a modern spurious cat like that posted above in the £120 region, there's obviously a lot less precious metal in them. Can anyone hazard a guess if the scum that do this would know not to take a modern replacement? Or would they just take it anyway once they are there?

I'm completely demoralised to do anything further with the car if a new cat is potentially going to get cut off it too. The bastards cut close to the rear silencer so I need a complete new exhaust from manifold back, along with a new O2 sensor after I repair the ripped cable.

Keliuss

Maybe get a replacement but keep it stashed until the day before you put the car back on the road? At least there's nothing for them to nick then

What age car is it? My 525i is a 91 and only has a pre cat emissions test. Not sure if it would pass the pre cat test without it, I reckon so though. This is English mot requirements not 100% if it’s safe for you’ll double check first then do without it? I doubt any tester would know it was missing unless they were into their early bmws. 

A cat stolen off an E34? That's something new for me.

I know the cats are being stolen left and right on the Prius, Auris, Honda Jazz, Lexus RX models, but BMW? Have you had the car parked up in a funny area for a long time or was it just random?

Can't imagine anyone taking a cat off an E34, when you pop into Tesco's...

8 hours ago, Ganty101 said:

What age car is it? My 525i is a 91 and only has a pre cat emissions test. Not sure if it would pass the pre cat test without it, I reckon so though. This is English mot requirements not 100% if it’s safe for you’ll double check first then do without it? I doubt any tester would know it was missing unless they were into their early bmws. 

1995 as per my profile. 

3 hours ago, Blackman said:

A cat stolen off an E34? That's something new for me.

I know the cats are being stolen left and right on the Prius, Auris, Honda Jazz, Lexus RX models, but BMW? Have you had the car parked up in a funny area for a long time or was it just random?

Can't imagine anyone taking a cat off an E34, when you pop into Tesco's...

I have it declared off road. It's parked up in an underground car park with "security" gates. In fairness security isn't great. Just drive in behind someone if you want. I suspect a "nice" neighbour might have noted the car there all the time. Car park is only ever a third full so people not too bothered about spaces and as such I move it from space to space or face it the other way every couple of weeks so it doesn't look abandoned. 

At about £400 scrap value according to @Sir Anthony Regents-Park, perhaps we E34 owners should be more wary. I've read on a Facebook group a while back about E36's being done also here in Ireland. I assumed mine was somewhat hidden where it is. We all know what happens when we ass-u-me :(

I'm now thinking along the lines of getting a spurious replacement and replacing the cat section with a straight pipe, but done in such a way that it can be swapped out for the annual test. It would involve a bit of fab work as it would have to be a "Y" shaped pipe along with some extra flanges before the cat. Not sure if it's viable or not but don't see any other practical solution. I'm all ears to other possibilities if anyone wants to offer any.

Keliuss

Edited by Keliuss

Underground car park, security gates, plus the fact that it's quite a bit of work getting the cat out from an E34, and all that still didn't stop them....Just ridiculous.

To be honest, I would just fit a decent aftermarket replacement, like BM Catalysts or Klarius, and forget about it. It's really not worth the effort of fitting any locks or shields, because German cars in general are rarely targeted due to harder access to the cat. With some many Toyotas and Hondas around, yours was most likely targeted, because it has stood for a while and just caught someone's eye.

I very much doubt anyone will come back for it again, especially if you start to use the car a bit more regularly. Unfortunately, any car that's not being used regularly can be a target for various things, not just cats.

Not sure how much of the precious metals was actually left in that cat anyway, assuming it was the original from factory? Kind of pointless exercise, but some people are desperate.

Apparently it's Rhodium which is the reason for demand.

image.png.8bb0faeee406439fb59b28b8118eecd8.png

And the cat is very easily removed with a reciprocating saw when you don't give a f@#k about how rough it comes out. 

Mine was cut along the red lines which left it on one hanger. It just slides off then. Cat circled in blue.

image.png.39772e224a5a77852c0af083e966a584.png

Keliuss

Well, if you think about it, ANY car from 80's and 90's has easy access to the cat, because nothing is hidden and it's all out in the open. The question is whether it's worth stealing a cat that's 20+ years old? The precious metals are there to absorb all the harmful toxins, so hence the reason why I said old cats are probably worthless...

Opinions definitely vary on whether it was worth anything and I've no idea if they knew what they were at or not. Either way, my thinking is, if these vermin think they can get €50 for it they'll take it. Can be done in about 60 seconds as demonstrated on Youtube.

Keliuss

On 24/10/2020 at 18:15, Kit said:

Incase Northern Ireland is a possibility for you these guys have a few e34’s. 

https://www.willswheels.co.uk/dismantled-cars-2019.html

Tread with care. Just saying. 

Sorry to hear of this unfortunate situation.  It shouldn't be too difficult to replace if desired. 

Catalytic converters are never worthless.  Even if its donkeys old, the precious metals are still in there. The (catalyst) metals don't absorb the toxic stuff but cause a chemical reaction that reduces or neutralizes them depending on the application. 

Even if the cat is poisoned, (for example with lead) it still contains the precious metals such as platinum and rhodium. The lead would coat the working surfaces so stopping the chemical reaction. At end of life these metals are extracted hence the value. Diesel DPF units Also have a value but for different reasons. 

As above. In chemistry a catalyst is something that can cause or speed up a reaction, and is not consumed in the reaction. If I had only realised they were worth money years ago when I had access to cars being scrapped. It was only when I saw a documentary about the precious metals in everyday materials and the people who collect them. Phones, computers etc. They were making money from peoples waste.

I'm off work today and just heard a very loud 2004 Honda being driven out of our underground car park and loaded onto a recovery truck. I asked the obvious, and yes, cat stolen last weekend same as mine. I know that Honda is in daily use (it already had a loud boy racer exhaust). Also, heard of another one from a neighbour who is in the residents Facebook group. Close to my car is a very obviously long term unused 2005 Megane which I checked and it's cat is still there. 

Not sure if there was logic to what the scum targeted but I'm definitely going to explore a custom removable cat. I've already ordered everything. Cat is from BM cats in Mansfield and I'll keep the thread updated.

Keliuss

Might be worth seeing if you can park it in a very awkward place, so they couldn't get to it (between a wall and another car) jam it in so you can't get under/around it.