Jump to content
Kit

520i M50tu to 525i M50tu

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Kit said:

Donor car picked up and delivered to the body shop today, used Shiply again and it worked out well (DM me if you want the guys number).

 

Drove the Touring to Esso and filled up with 99ron, £15 more a tank than their regular fuel but hoping it’s boasts of engine cleaning abilities are true.

 

It’s not a massive fan of starting up so will keep an eye on that, struggled after it sat for a bit after yesterday’s long drive to start up again.

 

Also I can feel a slight buzz/vibration in the clutch pedal, guessing this should not be there and really hoping they have not misaligned it. I’m naively hoping it’s just party off it bedding in. 
 

Lastly and annoyingly my rear wiper has stopped working, spent too much money on getting that sorted in the summer, again hoping it’s something silly like a fuse but guessing it won’t be that easy, it never is.

 

One note on the Buchanan’s brothers, the car came back super dirty. Oil and mud marks on everything they touched. It quite literally takes the shine off the job. Will need the leather cleaning and my mats don’t look the bright grey they were a few weeks ago, as a factory fresh type of man it’s one way to really piss me off...

 

6CDFE9BB-02CC-480A-876A-2710332397DC.jpeg.34324d8d25800ee39a659e29df1738b6.jpeg

 

787D2545-4F6E-485A-824F-C4ABD20EA481.jpeg.2f0e2f84e264b71c88cf428ce78e5a9b.jpeg

That's not good mate, that sort of thing really pisses me off.

That would stop me using them or recommending them.

To me the clue was in there yard, it looked like a breakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

That's not good mate, that sort of thing really pisses me off.

That would stop me using them or recommending them.

To me the clue was in there yard, it looked like a breakers.


I half expected it after dropping the car off for the first time and seeing the place, they are knowledgeable on the these engine swaps and ultimately that’s what I needed them for. It’s off to the body shop in Jan so it will all get cleaned up, but still not good.
 

I doubt I will be back there unless a major issue rears it’s head, despite the above they have been very nice to deal with.  

Edited by Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still it takes little effort to use a floor mat protector & a seat cover.

The place I used for my gearbox service, when the mechanic got out the car from backing it out

was genuinely horrified at the drivers floor mat.

He'd stood in some gearbox oil before jumping in (without a mat protector) to back it out.

He was very apologetic & pressure washed it off & then wet vaced it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are wanting to flush the engine through have you thought about Terra Clean?

When I swapped an engine in my old Octavia vRS I had it done on that as I wanted to make sure it was in good working order after I swapped everything I could while the engine was not in the car. Think it was about £100 for the service. They claim better MPG but I did not see any of that. However it did make the car feel more lively when accelerating and eager so any MPG improvements were just ruined by me driving it a bit more spritley! The only thing I would say is it eventually developed an oil leak no one could find, it was in the garage for two days and they couldn't find it. The one thing I think, and the garage also thought this was plausible, was that the cleaning process dislidged some grime which then opened up the leak. I can't confirm that though, it was just a theory. Despite that it did make the car drive that bit better.

 

Redex and higher octane fuel won't do it any harm, I am currently running through a few tanks with redex in my other project car for this purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

If you are wanting to flush the engine through have you thought about Terra Clean?

When I swapped an engine in my old Octavia vRS I had it done on that as I wanted to make sure it was in good working order after I swapped everything I could while the engine was not in the car. Think it was about £100 for the service. They claim better MPG but I did not see any of that. However it did make the car feel more lively when accelerating and eager so any MPG improvements were just ruined by me driving it a bit more spritley! The only thing I would say is it eventually developed an oil leak no one could find, it was in the garage for two days and they couldn't find it. The one thing I think, and the garage also thought this was plausible, was that the cleaning process dislidged some grime which then opened up the leak. I can't confirm that though, it was just a theory. Despite that it did make the car drive that bit better.

 

Redex and higher octane fuel won't do it any harm, I am currently running through a few tanks with redex in my other project car for this purpose.


Thanks.

 

I had it done on my e30 many years ago, didn’t really feel any difference and left thinking ‘did the actually do it?’. I have also been told not to bother as it can cause issues like yours. It’s got pros and cons clearly, but for now I think I just want to get more confidence in its overall reliability before trying to get performance out of it.

 

The issue of it struggling to start seemed to be a bit of a one off, guess everything is just bedding in a bit. 
 

My plan is to get it chipped by End Tuning at some point early next year to get the most out of it (sensibly). 

Edited by Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 22:25, coupe king said:

Eek, that’s a wee bit disappointing. I’m sure your quite capable of cleaning a mat, but here’s some inspiration.....

 

 

 

 


No harm in trying so bought some brushes. Probably come in handy for a host of jobs in and out the car...

 

EBF8FAD2-EA62-453B-9388-CBC2B7540965.thumb.jpeg.b77bb13a684e77e12f81dca2a008f741.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on a good few drives now and one thing that bothers me a bit about the new motor is that the engine revs stay too high between gearshifts (especially when driving with a heavy right foot). 
 

What can be looked at to encourage the engine to drop revs more quickly?

 

Would a tweak of the ecu help? Or would it be a more mechanical solution? Or is it just a characteristic of the m50b25tu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kit said:

Been on a good few drives now and one thing that bothers me a bit about the new motor is that the engine revs stay too high between gearshifts (especially when driving with a heavy right foot). 
 

What can be looked at to encourage the engine to drop revs more quickly?

 

Would a tweak of the ecu help? Or would it be a more mechanical solution? Or is it just a characteristic of the m50b25tu?

 

That sound like the clutch is slipping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

 

That sound like the clutch is slipping!


It just had a new clutch fitted. So unless it’s an alignment issue it should not be due to the clutch being worn out. The biting point etc seems fine, notice a slight bit of chatter/buzz in the peddles that the old engine / clutch didn’t have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kit said:


It just had a new clutch fitted. So unless it’s an alignment issue it should not be due to the clutch being worn out. The biting point etc seems fine, notice a slight bit of chatter/buzz in the peddles that the old engine / clutch didn’t have. 

 

Ok, I could be wrong but it maybe oil contamination from the rear seal leaking causing it to slip. Hopefully there's a better/easier explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

 

Ok, I could be wrong but it maybe oil contamination from the rear seal leaking causing it to slip. Hopefully there's a better/easier explanation.


Thanks, as I don’t feel any real issue with the clutch generally I am hoping it’s not the issue, but will keep your suggestion in mind. Cheers. Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

If i read you right its the revs hanging rather than slip?

 


Correct, for example, if I rev to a high number in 2nd and push the clutch down in readiness to go into 3rd I have to wait briefly for the revs to drop before I can smoothly change up. 
 

It feels like a very lethargic way to drive quickly. 
 

Put simply I want the revs to drop faster when I disengage the clutch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A silly question perhaps but are the ecu’s the same on auto and manual cars? The donor car was an auto, mines a manual.

 

Just wondering if it’s an engine setup issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Same flywheel as before? clutch slow to release?

 


A single mass LUK clutch kit was fitted which I believe is a like for like with my previous setup, I don’t think the 520tu had a dual mass kit.

The clutch seems fine to me, biting point ok etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, coupe king said:

Does it only do it on the move or does it do it at idle too? Eg sticky throttle cable?


Good question, will check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a good point - does it react the same clutch in/ clutch out, in gear/ in neutral?

 

One assumes it will be the original throttle cable though but maybe a sticky throttle body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try manually manipulating it from the engine bay, see if it returns instantly. I had it on my 320 after some work getting done, when the re routing of the throttle cable wasn’t sitting perfect and it was just enough to create the resistance required to make it sticky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cars been sat for a couple of weeks and today I found a small power steering fluid leak under it. Seemingly the high pressure hose, hopefully not too big a job to sort out. Delighted it wasn’t oil. 

 

Tested the throttle in neutral, seemed ok (hard to tell really) but will do it by hand next and see if there is any play / stickiness. 
 

Need to take it for a run but nowhere to go...

Edited by Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a bit of pressure from Angus BMW to move my old engine on. If you or anyone you know wants to make me an offer for my smooth M50B20tu please DM me.

 

Also have my donor car to move on soon so open to offers for that too.

 

Thanks

 

Kit

Edited by Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got round to cleaning the interior after it was left in a grubby mess by Angus BMW. Much nicer place to be now. Autoglym’s leather clean and protect kit did a decent job on the seats.

 

0A1B3E53-3C24-4731-80FE-1B61DACDEBB4.jpeg.95ae1771f4890a952478fb6c40dd55e9.jpeg

Edited by Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a while since I posted, annoyingly I can’t seem to upload pictures via my phone despite paying for membership.

 

A quick update, the new b25tu engine has been running fine, noticeably smoother after a couple of long runs on esso supreme and a bit of redex. No more chatter in the pedals from the new clutch or power unit.

 

Body wise I finally had the replacement front doors painted and fitted by my guy at Lemass near Gerrads Cross (the originals were rusting badly from the bottom) along with sorting a list of medium sized jobs and annoying bits, e.g. boot aligned correctly (not easy it turned out), new headlining, black powder coating the roof rails and oem roof bars, swapping bits of trim, wet-cleaning the oem silver grey mats, the list really did go on.

 

Annoyingly the rear wiper motor failed, replaced that only to find an electrical fault that apparently is related to a rely under the seat or on the stalk. 

 

My other more pressing issue is the tensioner pulley disintegrating, so the car is off the road and booked in to get that sorted as the fan turns with a huge amount of fuss and noise, and sometimes not at all.

 

One day I may get an answer to why I can’t post pictures, till then we’ll done for reading this much!

 

Kit

 

(P.s. Have some decent spare parts from the interior of my donor, short post in the parts and breakers section if interested or DM me) 

Edited by Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×