Nick E

E39 head unit replacement

What firmware is the current head unit? if its KW30:02 or later you should have an aux in option i believe meaning you can either by an aux in lead or fit something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Handsfree-Music-Adapter-AUX-In-Cable-Fit-For-BMW-E46-E39-X5-E53-X3-E83/133414421623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have a later CD from an X5 (05 i think) and with this i connect to it via bluetooth and switch to aux and get my music at a consummate volume to the the radio or CD where as with the lead it used to be quieter for same volume.

These were my findings until i went for the above on a whim.

Might still fit a suppressor as i get radio fuzz with the charger plugged in (though not when using bluetooth)

Cheers Dan. I just bought this one, just because the LED's orange like the rest of the dials. Same same I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FirstE-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Adapter-Handsfree-HK203update/dp/B07BF52BY7/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R7TZC17YK774XDW82J52

Verona. Thanks. Will need to get all the panels out of the back this weekend to suss if I can plug a Grom in.

Duncan. Not sure what my firmware is. How to check it?

32 minutes ago, Verona 02 said:

Ok nick let me know they are there anyway  if you want .

Appreciate it. Thank you.

The adapter works well, and will do for now.

Having read that bit of news about plans to fine you for touching your phone when driving next year, I'm going to buy a voice activated double din and get that installed. Won't do so now, but later in the year.

Is there any slim fitting alternative to the Parrot? It seems such old tech now.

The Alpine is out as I use an Android. 

Hi Nick,

There's a growing number of shallow depth, fully featured double DIN head units available nowadays. I've listed the ones I know about currently in the thread about the OEM fasica/fitting kit I offer to E39 owners in the audio section of this forum. The high quality brands for car head units all have a unit that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto built in too and the ranges they offer will expand over time.

Cheers, Dennis!

4 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Nick,

There's a growing number of shallow depth, fully featured double DIN head units available nowadays. I've listed the ones I know about currently in the thread about the OEM fasica/fitting kit I offer to E39 owners in the audio section of this forum. The high quality brands for car head units all have a unit that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto built in too and the ranges they offer will expand over time.

Cheers, Dennis!

Cheers Dennis! Much appreciated.