Markse60530i

flat battery tonight. Great.

jumped on the car after work and got the dreaded clicking and diming lights. 

Eventually got a set of jump leads and fired the car up. All I can think of this morning was I sat in the car for 40 minutes with the radio on low.

Checked voltage charging on the way home in the menu and it was 13.8. 

I used to get battery discharge messages on the dash about 4 months ago with a new ibs fitted. The car used to warn me in about 20 seconds of ignition off and everytime I started the car the clock would reset.

I unplugged the lead and its been fine ever since. But as the weather is starting to cool down I got my first flat battery. Do you recon it is the battery? Or me sat on the car for 40 mins with radio on

IIRC voltages should be around 14.4v for idling and 12.4v for engine off

Could be a failing battery (easy enough to get a replacement and drop it in and then check voltages).

Could be a failing alternator too...

Could be a parasitic battery drain too...

I bought mine from batterymegastore off eBay last year, same day delivery if before 4pm

Varta Silver heavy duty 110ah 920ccc, no issue's what so ever after GoNz0 coded & registered

it for me £121 delivered with a five year guarantee.

Just looked it's now £116.

Shop round you might do even better.

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

1 hour ago, Markse60530i said:

Where is best to get a battery from. Mine is 80ah 700cca. I was thinking of 85 to 95ah and 800 to 850cca.

Bosch S5 019 will be perfect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Car-Battery-Type-019/dp/B005XVV42E/ref=sr_1_4?crid=12UQXN5LAORIH&dchild=1&keywords=bosch+s5+car+battery&qid=1602537061&s=automotive&sprefix=Bosch+s5%2Caps%2C170&sr=1-4

The S4 019 will do the job too

Just remember you need to code the battery to the car

Working from home and sometimes parked up for weeks and regularly having to put on the battery on charge... with the cool weather coming I decided to get a replacement.

I thought it was a regular lead acid but no... So I went for a like for like swap with the original OEM installed (age unknown), Exide EK800 AGM Car Battery Type 110/115 (£124 via Tayna). Should outlast this motor anyway.

The IBS, alternator and electronics has been happy so far with AGM, hopefully nothing will get upset and the efficient charge management will be restored when the battery is registered, resetting the historic charge profile learned and employed by the IBS.

Without start/stop, is this worth paying any consideration in reality? Maybe very marginal... could suspend charging under hard acceleration?

How does the IBS system help improve fuel efficiency?

The IBS system is used primarily for the start stop function which eliminates the burning of fuel while at complete stop, also reducing CO2 emissions.  The IBS system continually analyzes the charge of the battery system and intelligently charges it only when needed.  When the battery is sufficiently charged, the motor does not need to spin the alternator thus improving efficiency of the engine and gaining more miles per gallon.
https://bimmertips.com/bmw-battery-registering-and-programming-explained/

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Apparently this does not fit my vehicle. 

2006 530i auto.

3 hours ago, Markse60530i said:

Apparently this does not fit my vehicle. 

2006 530i auto.

IIRC the S4 or S5 019 or 020 are the right battery for your car

They were for my 06 E65 730D

Unless yours is stop/start and you need an AGM etc... 

18 minutes ago, JasonH said:

What you need is a type 019 and in Bosch batteries that's an S5013 or S4013. 

Exactly what I linked to :) 

Must be that time of the month, and year.  First sign of a cold snap, if mine sits for three or four days it just about catches.  I know this has probably been well covered this time every year, but what is the procedure for 'registering'  the new battery after fitting please?

23 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

Must be that time of the month, and year.  First sign of a cold snap, if mine sits for three or four days it just about catches.  I know this has probably been well covered this time every year, but what is the procedure for 'registering'  the new battery after fitting please?

Needs to be done with relevant software, so INPA/bimmercode etc (not sure if Carly for BMW does the E6x range unfortunately, I know it didn't with my E65)

Could be worth for folk not using their cars every day to keep the car on a trickle charger etc; well worth the small expense in the long run :) 

Late to the party but I'd say the cold killed the battery rather than a deeper fault, I've had a few batteries die at this time of year and gone are the days when you could nurse them along for a few month with a good charge - they just seem to fail these days rather than degrade.

I have been checking a few places out and was surprised to find that Amazon are the cheapest to date, especially for Bosch.  Also free delivery with prime.  If you are not a prime member, simply sign up for a free one month trial and cancel when you take delivery.  As a rider to that though, I pay for prime and with things being the way they are with the plague, shopping here is varied and simple plus the monthly charge will be recouped many times over coming up to Christmas with free delivery.

2 hours ago, Markse60530i said:

Looking at this 1. Seems a solid choice and the manufacturer has very good reviews  

Yuasa YBX5019

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122851172675

Very good battery; always my go to are the Yuasa or the Bosch I linked to

Just make sure you get decent warranty with either :) 

11 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

I have been checking a few places out and was surprised to find that Amazon are the cheapest to date, especially for Bosch.  Also free delivery with prime.  If you are not a prime member, simply sign up for a free one month trial and cancel when you take delivery.  As a rider to that though, I pay for prime and with things being the way they are with the plague, shopping here is varied and simple plus the monthly charge will be recouped many times over coming up to Christmas with free delivery.

Prime Day today too :) Just bought a few bottles of whisky :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Markse60530i said:

Yeah I like the fact the yuasa has 900cca and 110ah. That thing could start a train

Yeah; it's not needed for yours as the Bosch batteries mentioned are more than adequate too. 

Yuasa cheaper here via Amazon Prime too and next day delivery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuasa-YBX5019-Performance-Starter-Battery/dp/B00KNQS4RW

7 minutes ago, Markse60530i said:

The Bosch or Yuasa are perfect for you car; go for whichever has the best price (ie the Yuasa off Amazon) :) 

This is where I am lost a little bit. 

The genuine bmw battery is 393mm long. The 019 batteries are 354 long ( not really an issue I don't think?)

the 020 is 394mm long. Essentially the right length.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-610402092-Battery/dp/B005XVTSHW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bosch+s5+015&qid=1602616338&sr=8-1

the 2 019 bosch and yuasa both say on amazon that they do not for my vehicle. But I don't know why?

Does it matter that both batteries say on amazon they they don't fit my car?

And apart from these being 4 cm shorter I can not see any other difference.

The 020 bosch says its correct for my car but it is 110ah. Incidentally on real oem there is a battery at 110ah. 

HELP!! this is making my head hurt.

Edited by Markse60530i

10 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Needs to be done with relevant software, so INPA/bimmercode etc (not sure if Carly for BMW does the E6x range unfortunately, I know it didn't with my E65)

Could be worth for folk not using their cars every day to keep the car on a trickle charger etc; well worth the small expense in the long run :) 

I've had my C-tek battery conditioner since my biking day's,  very useful.