Pete James

B10 V8 T Water Ingress Tailgate

Hi, I stupidly left tailgate open in the rain (30 mins!) and water appears to have got in at the top of the rear glass... 

...Anyone had to do a full drying exercise on this?

Pete

On 04/10/2020 at 08:52, Pete James said:

Hi, I stupidly left tailgate open in the rain (30 mins!) and water appears to have got in at the top of the rear glass... 

...Anyone had to do a full drying exercise on this?

Pete

Where do you mean it's gotten in?

Can you take a picture and upload it on here so we can all see what's exactly happened?

Welcome to the forums by the way :) 

Hi Dan,

Pics as suggested...

No more water dripping today, but condensation still in the light...

Rubber window seal SEEMS ok...

Hope you can shed some light on this one...

Cheers.

Pete

Leak Pic 1.png

Leak Pic 2.png

Leak Pic 3.png

Leak Pic 4.png

Leak Pic 5.png

Yeah; I know it's stating the obvious, but you've got water ingress from leaving the tailgate open etc

Those panels can be removed, carefully (fragile plastics etc); that's what I'd do and either use a hair dryer to dry the areas out, or leave the panels off, close the tailgate and pop an electric fan heater into the boot space and leave it on for 30mins etc... Towel dry what you can too

Hopefully there's be no lasting issues

That Alpina '8R00M' part is very specific to these models too; treat it carefully ;) :lol: 

I can see now why Alpina only recommend using the 8R00M in hot climates. Should all dry out ok. Good luck with the B10, I know it was well looked after when it lived in Aberdeenshire

Thanks Greenelekta, encouraging words... I never did hear back from Andrew but I did see many of his posts from during his ownership... and I also had a long conversation with Steve Millar who bought the car from Andrew... and who then sent it to auction along with 4 other cars from his collection.  All seems good, thanks again. P

This is a great site for all things 5 series related. I think you'll find posting in the e39 section will get a better response rather than the Alpina section which is a bit dead!