bart1webb

E39 M5 door / wing mirror glass replacement

Hi All,

Where would be the best place to source new glass for the nearside door mirror of an e39 m5?

The mirrors are a different shape from the majority of e39's, and I believe they are also heated and possibly have a dimming function as well.

Is this an item which is better to be bought from a dealer, or are there other stockists which are a good fit and meet the criteria above?

Many thanks in advance!

Yes, ^^^ As standard ^^^

Although I believe there was a choice of flat, convex or aspherical mirror glass... all bloody expensive from a dealer... perhaps keep any eye on the breakers yards or ebay....some time they will crop up on the Facebook group pages for E39 M5 or just the UK E39 Group.

I had a quote from Cotwolds just before selling mine.

They've gone up quite a bit, just shy of £400 for a heated aspherical, a plain heated glass was just over £300.

There was a guy called "mirror john" that did a cheaper version, but last time I checked he was only doing for the e46 M3, and not the M5.

You could give him a try though.

Thanks for all of the replies.

That is a big cost just for the glass!  Especially for something which can often easily get knocked like a mirror!

(mine has become milky which I understand is due to the failure / leak of the internal liquid, rather than completely damaged.)

Edited by bart1webb

c£440 for the chromatic heated wing mirrors on my touring, that's each!

I did try some aftermarket ones but they look crap, more so without the black bead that goes around them.

As @Sandip said, see if you can find them used but in decent condition on eBay; I've found the replacements for mine, albeit in the States, so just waiting for a shipping quote before I buy them

Any updates with this?

im surprised that for a 20 year old car we only have the option of new genuine (£200+), or the overly cheap ones...

I guess a lot of people either have a lot of cash so £200-400 for a tiny mirror is ok, or they don’t care about how the glass looks/works.

im surprised that the e46 m3 mirror is different as they share the same interior one.

surely a mirror only used on one variant of a model once was a massive cost (maybe one they’re still trying to pay off...)

id be wary of anything coming from LHD land as the angles of glass might be different? (Isn’t the o/s slightly larger than the n/s? - I know some manufacturers do this)