Daveh65

Brake judder at speed

Hi, noticed a little brake judder with hardish braking at speed, nothing around town or at low speeds, discs and pads were replaced in April all the same brand , any ideas ? Wheel bearings maybe? 

Did the brakes get bedded in when they were replaced? If not, then you should do that. These cars are particularly susceptible to warped brake disks which is fixable by bedding in (even when it has been a while since the disks/pads were changed).

I had this forever on my 525d F10 and after the discs were replaced twice it was still happening even with Mtec discs fitted, turns out after all 4 tyres were replaced, and full tracking done the problem is gone... i was told by a previous garage i had lower suspension bushes with play in them but the garage replacing the tyres found nothing.. either way problem gone with tyres and tracking.. 

Tracking seems ok no wobble at any speed, just been mot’d and nothing there with ball joints , tyres were all replaced at the same time, there was a period of bedding in re the discs and pads, not a massive amount of time though , I will get the tracking done just to be sure though, didn’t do it at all when all was replaced , I’ll get the suspension checked to be on the safe side 

I had this terribly after the car sat unused during lockdown (were absolutely fine beforehand, grrr). Bugged me for a about a month afterward as I tried to self diagnose , I thought it was possibly my rear brakes (looked rough after lack of lockdown use) or the front suspension play after seeing it suggested on lots of forums. Took it to my local garage who’s co-owner is a big BMW fan/long time owner and he instantly said front brakes. Changed the front discs and pads and no more issues. 2 months later all is still good. Hope it’s a simple fix for you bud.

I have the same problem. When the brakes are cold. 1st 4 or 5 miles they are fine. Then judder gets worse. Once they are warm on the a roads, you really feel it, especially if you are light on the brakes. Its enough to shake the kids cans of pop in the back of the car. If you stand on the brakes, you go past the judder. 

new tyres and full wheel alignment 1k ago onto eagles. 

the pads and disks dont look old at all

I don't think the brake discs have to be old and worn to be warped. If someone really stamped on the brakes from speed then kept their foot on the brake pedal then warping can easily happen. Does sound like thats your issue.

Edited by neilos1000

55 minutes ago, neilos1000 said:

I don't think the brake discs have to be old and worn to be warped. If someone really stamped on the brakes from speed then kept their foot on the brake pedal then warping can easily happen. Does sound like thats your issue.

Yep, although brake warping isn’t actually a mis-shapen disk, it’s friction material causing a high spot and is an easy fix - or at least costs nothing but a bit of time to try. I have posted numerous times on here about the bedding in (or re-bedding in) process, and mentioned how susceptible F10-11s seem to be to brakes which are even a tiny bit warped.