Steveo1

Private plate removal

Hi All

I’m looking to get rid of my current car which has a private plate which was transferred from my previous car. 

My problem is I’m looking to pass the car on through WBAC so not sure what to do? 

The plate is not going on another  car straight away. 

Looking for any advice. 

Sorry if this is s daft question but I’ve only ever transferred the plate into brand new cars. 

Cheers Steven. 

You need to Put the reg on retention and the DVLA will issue a 'new' number for the 535i if it's never had one, assuming your reg went on it from new.

I've checked the back of my Certificate of Entitlement V750, implication is you need to fill out a V317.  You will have to pay a fee but this should mean it's ready to go on your next car.

Best bet will be to go thru the DVLA.gov.uk site as it will be all done online I imagine.

WBAC should be able to offer guidance I would have thought too. They are bound to have done this before.

As already been said, it is a simple process. IIRC from the last time I did it you get emailed a certificate that is valid for a week or so you can go get plates made up of the new registration. Otherwise you need to wait for the log book to arrive back to go and get plates made up. I think I informed my insurer once I phiscally changed the plate to the new one, but if you do get stopped they police should understand (happened to my mum once who forgot to inform her insurer, she was stopped by the police who did the right checks before pulling her over and knew what the old plate was as the new one was coming up non-insured but the old reg was, just said get it sorted when she got home).

The retention certificate for the registration you have removed is valid for 10 years, after that you need to pay another £80. With it you can get plates made up too if the ones get damaged removing it

Edited by KitsonRis

Just done it, took the PPs off my i8 and in retention all done on line £80 and a 10 year certificate . Old number went back on the i8

you get a certificate to make up the plates immediately you do it 

Hi All

Just a follow up question, do you get a physical retention certificate I ask as I have received the new V5C log book but haven't received a retention certificate yet.

I change the reg before Christmas and received new V5C between Christmas and New year but no sign of a retention certificate.

Cheers Steven

Yes you should get one. Well I did when I took a number plate off a about 3 years ago. But then I transfered it back to a car recently online,  iirc there was a reference number on it that I needed.

I recently took mine off and the retention cert was about 2 days behind the logbook. It's alot smaller envelope (same shade of brown though) than the logbook as I'm sure your aware so easy to think of it as normal/junk mail

I thought if you did it online you get confirmation with a retention number on it to save/print out. 

If you fill out manually you get a certificate in the post. 

???

18 hours ago, gIzzE said:

I thought if you did it online you get confirmation with a retention number on it to save/print out. 

If you fill out manually you get a certificate in the post. 

???

Thanks for all the replies.

I did get confirmation and a retention number via email which I printed off. Is this all I need for the dealer to put the plate on my new car?